University of the Witwatersrand School of Architecture & Planning
|School of Architecture and Planning|
The John Moffat Building
|Parent institution||University of the Witwatersrand|
|Location||Johannesburg, Gauteng, South AfricaCoordinates:|
|Head of School||Prof Paul Jenkins |
|Academic staff||32 |
Academic Degrees and Diplomas
The school offers undergraduate and post-graduate degrees in Architecture, Urban and Regional and Development Planning, as well as a number of Interdisciplinary degrees. The school also offers post-graduate research degrees.
- Bachelor of Architectural Studies (BAS)
- Bachelor of Architectural Studies with Honours, BAS (Hons)
- Master of Architecture (Professional)
Urban and Regional and Development Planning Degrees
- Bachelor of Science Urban and Regional Planning (BSc URP)
- Bachelor of Science Honours Urban and Regional Planning (BSc Hons URP)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Planning (PG Dip)
- Master of Science in Development Planning (MSc DP)
Interdisciplinary Post-graduate Degrees
- Master of Built Environment (MBE Housing)
- Master of Urban Design (MUD)
- Master of Architecture in Sustainable and Energy Efficient Cities (MArch SEEC)
- Master of Urban Studies (MUS)
Post-Graduate Research Degrees
- MSc Master of Town and Regional Planning (MSc TRP by research)
- Master of Architecture (MArch by research)
Centre for Urbanism and Built Environment Studies (CUBES)
The School hosts the Centre for Urbanism and Built Environment Studies, a platform for urban research, learning and civic engagement.
In recent years the centre has focused on ’urban materialities’ and the place of the poor in South African cities, including how material realities of contemporary cities (their built environments at different scales, access to urban goods and central spaces, consternations about urban physical and political orders) affect urban citizens, particularly marginalized groups.
CUBES activities include collective research programmes, individual members’ expertise and institutional partnerships. CUBES organises urban research-oriented events, conferences, exhibitions and the Faces of the City Seminar series (run weekly, jointly with the NRF Chair on Spatial Change and the Gauteng City Region Observatory, GCRO). CUBES hosts workshops involving junior and senior researchers to enable focused discussion and mutual learning on identified research themes. CUBES runs community-oriented City Studios, which link research, engagement/activism and teaching/learning in the School.
- "History". University of the Witwatersrand. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "List of Academic Staff". University of the Witwatersrand. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "Schools in the Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment". University of the Witwatersrand Website. University of the Witwatersrand. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "School of Architecture and Planning". University of the Witwatersrand. Retrieved 18 September 2013.