School of Engineering, CUSAT
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||May learning illuminate us both, the teacher and the taught|
|Type||Constituent department of Cochin University of Science and Technology|
|Location||Kochi, Kerala, India|
|Affiliations||UGC, AICTE, NBA|
The School of Engineering is a department of Cochin University of Science and Technology, in Kochi (Cochin), Kerala, India. Established in 1979 for offering part-time M.Tech programmes.The school was the first in the country to introduce Information Technology as an engineering stream and is one among very few colleges in the country with a B. Tech course in Safety and Fire Engineering. The school is a Research Centre and major Consultancy Centre. A number of research projects of national importance have been sanctioned to the school by agencies like DRDO, ISRO, DST, AICTE, UGC, Coir Board, and the Coconut Development Board.
B.Tech programmes offered by School of Engineering,CUSAT have been accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA) under Tier-I system.National Board of Accreditation (NBA) has been accorded permanent signatory status to the Washington Accord on 13 June 2014. As per Washington Accord agreement, Recognition of programmes by other signatories applies only to programmes accredited by NBA that are offered by education providers accepted by NBA as Tier-1 Institutions.
The School started offering part-time M.Tech. programmes in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Chemical Engineering for practicing engineers in and around Cochin. It introduced B.Tech. Programmes in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering and Information Technology in 1995, which turned out to be a milestone in the growth of the School. B.Tech. in Safety and Fire Engineering was added in 1996 and Electrical & Electronics Engg. in 2003. Having more than 2600 students, the School of Engineering is the largest academic constituent Department of the University.
Dr M.R.Radhakrishna Panicker is the Principal of School of Engineering.
Admissions are based on an All India Entrance Examination known as Common Admission Test (CAT) conducted by the University which includes papers for admission to undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The School has got students from all over the country and abroad.
The school functions through its Divisions; Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics, Computer Science, Safety and Fire, and Information Technology.
Undergraduate courses B.Tech (intake in brackets)
- Civil Engineering (90)
- Computer Science (90)
- Electrical and Electronics (60)
- Electronics and Communication (90)
- Information Technology (90)
- Mechanical Engineering (90)
- Safety and Fire Engineering (60)
Postgraduate course M.Tech.
Full Time M Tech Courses
- Information Technology (Software Systems) (18)
- Computer Science and Engineering (Networking Systems) (18)
- Civil Engineering (Geo-technical Engineering) (18)
- Mechanical Engineering (Thermal Engineering) (18)
- Electronics & Communications Engineering (Wireless Technology) (18)
Part Time M Tech Courses
- Civil Engineering (18)
- Mechanical Engineering (18)
- Chemical Engineering (18)
- Electrical Engineering (18)
Ph.D programmes All branches mentioned above.
With all amenities provided within the campus itself, students seldom leave the campus. To ensure the effective implementation of the verdict given by Supreme Court of India,the school has set up anti-ragging committees at four levels.
- Health Club – the Health Centre managed by a Medical Officer caters to the medical needs of the university community. Expenses related to medical emergencies or hospitalization are borne by the students concerned.
- The Department of Physical Education caters to the recreational needs of the students. The main campus is the centre for games, sports and recreational activities. There is a multipurpose playground, separate courts for basketball and volleyball and a cricket practice pitch. Facilities for physical conditioning are available at the indoor multipurpose gymnasium with facility for table tennis.
- The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IEEE) is the world’s largest technical society. A student branch of the IEEE was established in the school in 1988 . The IEEE student members receive all the technical and professional benefits of IEEE membership at subsidized rates. The branch is supervised by a Branch Counsellor who is a faculty member having an IEEE membership. The student branch organizes activities like seminars, and invited speeches by technical experts.
- Association Of Computer Engineering Students (ACES) is an interest group having vision to cross the boundaries of textbooks and explore a whole new world of technologies thus evolving as a complete engineer.
- DHISHNA is the annual technical fest of School of Engineering, CUSAT. With a plethora of events, mind boggling games, challenging competitions and attractive prizes, Dhishna promises to be an event that shouldn't be missed. The seven branches of SOE merge their talents, resources and hard work to present a synergy of the latest innovation.
Note: XPLENDOR was revamped and named DHISHNA as the annual techfest of SCHOOL of Engineering from 2011. It encompasses a variety of technical and non technical activities and aims to make technology and engineering fun for everyone. Web Portal
- VIPANCHIKA is the arts and cultural festival of the School Of Engineering. It is a three-day festival which encompasses various arts and cultural activities, which mainly differtiated as ON STAGE and OFF STAGE events. The festival is the time when students from different departments of the SCHOOL battle it out to win the brach cup and also earn a spot to represent the college in the University Arts festival.
- SARGAM is the arts and cultural festival of the Cochin University of Science and Technology. It is a five-day festival comprising various arts and cultural activities, ON STAGE and OFF the STAGE events. This is festival of color, where students from different departments of the university battle it out showing the best works of art. Web Portal
- INSPIRE is an annual tech fest of the Computer Science and Engineering program started in 2003. It encompasses a wide spectrum of activities and is managed entirely by students.
- XPLENDOR was the annual techfest of the School of Engineering. It encompasses a wide spectrum of activities and is managed entirely by students. Xplendor was usually organized in February. The first Xplendor was conducted in 2010, with 34 events including guest lectures, workshops, and musical night, and attracted 30 colleges from all over India. The winners of the events shared prize money of INR 2 lakhs. The website of Xplendor can be found  here.
- xPlendor XV, is a 2014 reboot of Dhishna, conducted by the 2015-2017 Batches of the CSE, ECE, EEE, IT, ME, SFE branches, to commemorate the 35th anniversary of the institute. The xPlendor XV website shall be the portal for all the details pertaining to the event. The event is scheduled to be held on 23 & 24 Jan 2015.
- NIRMAAN, was conducted by the CIVIL Engineering Dept in 2014.