Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University
|Hindi: पंडित दीनदयाल पेट्रोलियम यूनिवर्सिटी|
Motto in English
|The Reservoir of Knowledge|
|Affiliation||University Grants Commission (India)|
|Chairman||Dr. Anil Ambani|
|Location||Raisan Village, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India|
|Campus||100 acres (0.40 km2)|
Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (or PDPU) was established through PDPU Act, a legislature passed by Gujarat state assembly in 2007. The university is located at Raisan village of Gandhinagar city in an area known as the Knowledge Corridor, and it is near the upcoming GIFT City. It is 8 km from state capital Gandhinagar, and 23 km from Gujarat's largest city Ahmedabad.
The University is recognised by UGC (University Grants Commission) and is a member of AIU (Association of Indian Universities). PDPU has also been awarded Scientific & Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) recognition by Department of Scientific and Industrial Research, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India.
The university has four schools, located on the same campus. The schools include the School of Petroleum Technology, School of Technology, School of Petroleum Management, and School of Liberal Studies. The Director General of PDPU is Dr. C Gopalkrishnan. The President of University Board of Governors is Dr. Mukesh Ambani and the Chairman of the Standing Committee is Shri DJ Pandian, IAS, Government of Gujarat.
The university also has its own 1 megawatt solar plant. The Government of Gujarat has decided to set up an international Centre of Excellence in Automobile at PDPU with investment of Rs. 150 Crores (US$ 25M) in joint venture with Maruti Suzuki India Ltd(MSIL).
Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University (PDPU) has been established by Gujarat energy Research and Management Institute (GERMI) as a Private University through the State Act enacted on 4 April 2007. The university started with a single building and then over the years, expanded infrastructure to four large administrative blocks, an auditorium block, hostel blocks, cafeteria block, sports grounds, and manicured gardens.
PDPU's vision is " To Be an Internationally Renowned & Respected Institution Imparting Excellent Education & Training Based Upon The Foundation of Futuristic Research & Innovations " 
Undertake unique obligation for Education in Energy Engineering and Management with special responsibilities in domain specific aspects of Energy & Infrastructure.
Seek to nurture students of extraordinary motivation and ability and prepare them for lifelong learning and leadership in an increasingly knowledge driven world.
Envisage to establish institutes of excellence in education, competitive edge in research and real time relevance with futuristic thrusts in offering of programmes and undertaking of activities and projects.
The 4 schools of PDPU offer both niche programs as well as programs of general interest, covering UG, PG and Doctoral programs in Management, Humanities, and Engineering:
- School of Petroleum Management (2006) offers 2-years MBA and Executive MBA programs with specializations in Energy and Infrastructure, Operations, Marketing, HR and Finance.
- School of Petroleum Engineering (2007) offers 4-years B.Tech, 2-years M.Tech, and Ph.D. programs in upstream & downstream Petroleum Engineering.
- School of Liberal Studies (2009) offers: UG honors degree programs in Humanities, Management, Science and Commerce viz. Business Administration, Economics, English Literature, International Relations, Public Policy & Administration, Psychology, Mass Communication, Commerce, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. It also offers 2-years MA Programs in English Literature, Public Policy & Administration, and International Relations; as well as Ph.D. programs in the same areas.
- School of Technology (2010) offers 4-years B.Tech. Engineering programs in Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Chemical and Industrial specializations. It also offers 2-years M.Tech and Ph.D. programs in the same streams. It additionally offers M.Tech. in Nuclear Technology (This was earlier offered under a separate School of Nuclear Energy, which was merged with School of Technology from 2013). It also offers 2-years M.Tech. and Ph.D. programs in Solar Engineering.
The campus is located at 14 km from the Ahmedabad Airport and 21 km from Ahmedabad's Kalupur Railway Station. It is 3 km off the main road connecting Gandhinagar to Ahmedabad Airport, Ahmedabad. The university is spread across a lush green pollution-free 100 acres campus with very good biodiversity. The entire space is dotted with lots of mango trees, and the campus houses 18 different varieties of birds.
The entire area is walled with 4 access points, is CCTV monitored, and tobacco-free. On-campus facilities (apart from classrooms and offices) include SBI Branch, pharmacy, stationery store, resident daytime doctor, 24x7 doctor-on-call, ambulance, travel desk and campus store.
- SPE PDPU Student Chapter was founded in 2007 and since its inception, the establishment has striven expeditiously to achieve the excellence and renown that it carries today. Chapter has provided exposure to students in the oil and gas industry through guest lectures, panel discussions, exhibitions and workshops.Chapter also organized an international PDPU SPE Fest in November,2015. They have also hosted lecturers discussing “Challenges of Reservoir Studies”, “Sand Control Completion” and “Exploration to Exploitation”.SPE PDPU Chapter bears a plethora of events to its credit that were appreciated by the students and allied professionals who were part of the same. Serving as a token of distinguished performance and appreciation,SPE PDPU Student Chapter stands the only SPE student chapter in India to have bagged four consecutive Gold Standard Awards from SPE International for four times in a row. The Gold Standard is a benchmark for exceptional performance in categories of membership, planning, education, professionalism, service, support and fundraising.
- The Video Graphics Association, better known as the VGA, is a student film club, dedicated to short film-making and film appreciation. Established in 2007, it is the oldest student club of the university. Its aim is to create impactful and meaningful short films along with creating a film screening culture at our campus, and to associate and interact with various film professionals not only in Ahmedabad / Gandhinagar, but also at a national and an international level. VGA has organized various workshops conducted by eminent faculty from City Pulse Institute of Film and Television (CPIFT) Gandhinagar, National Institute of Design (NID) Ahmedabad, Gujarat Vidyapeeth Ahmedabad, etc. on our campus. The club has also organized several film-making competitions, with participants being not only students from various reputed institutes but also independent film-makers across India.
- SEG-SPG-EAGE Student Chapter- This Chapter organises different workshops,distinguished lectures and field trips related to field of Geosciences related to Oil and Gas.
- 'Sorriso'-- is the photography club. The club organizes workshops, exhibitions, trips, photo-walks and live-studios at national level. It is considered to be the most active club at PDPU.
- Grow.Cook.Eat(GCE) is the food club of PDPU. It is the only student-managed food-club of Gujarat, India.
- Cretus is the robotics and automation club. It organizes various robotics events, workshops, seminars and guest lectures.
- Mind Ripple is the quizzing club of the university. It has organized several state and national level quiz events. The club,apart from its internal quizzes, organizes the PDPU Open Quiz (POQ) held every year on the first Sunday of February.
- Soul Pepper is the drama club of the university which organizes street plays and other live events.
- Brahmand is the astronomy-lovers' club.
- Enertia is a club for engineers interested in solar energy.
- E-Cell caters to budding entrepreneurs through workshops, lectures, and competitions.
- Event Maniacs comprises persons who enjoy organizing events and provide support to other clubs in organizing events.
- IYCN (International Youth for Climate Change) has a local chapter at PDPU.
- Jharokha is the literary lovers' club.
- CII-Yi is the Young Indians chapter of CII.
- Rotaract has a PDPU chapter.
- Respawn is the gamers' club.
- Wordsmith is the club for budding and professional debaters.
- Off-beat is the music-lovers' club, with professional music equipment for practice.
- Foggiare is the fashion-lovers' and ramp-walkers' club.
- Sports is a club that organizes Petro Cup (over 2000 competitors each year), organizes coaching camps, and maintains the extensive sports facilities at PDPU.
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs provides support for the free and responsible conduct of investigative, scholarly and creative activities, including support from the initial stages of proposal development to grants management, publication, and the transfer of technology. It provides internally funded grants, pre-award and post-award support for externally funded grants and offer education and support information on grant compliance and the responsible conduct of research.
The university pursues active partnerships with universities in various countries through MOUs (Memorandum of Understanding). Currently active partnerships include:
University of Trinidad & Tobago
PDPU campus has sporting facilities and boys and girls teams in Basketball, Volleyball, Cricket, Tennis, Football, Kabaddi, Table Tennis, Badminton, Chess and Carrom.
Petrocup is the annual sporting event, an inter-university contest with almost 5000 participants competing for the top position from 80+ campuses in India and abroad.
- http://www.ugc.ac.in/privateuniversitylist.aspx?id=7&Unitype=3 | List of recognized private universities page on UGC website
- http://www.aiuweb.org/members/MembersP.asp | List of member universities on AIU website
- "SIRO Recognition Letter" (PDF). 2014-04-29.
- http://www.ugc.ac.in/inside/privateuniversities/pdpureprt.pdf UGC report on PDPU
- http://www.pdpu.ac.in/downloads/The_University_Act.pdf The Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University Act
- "1 MW Solar Power Plant commissioned at PDPU" (PDF). Gujarat Energy Development Agency Gandhinagar. 2012-09-06.
- "Maruti Suzkui and Gujarat Govt to set up Rs.150 crore International Centre of Excellence in Automobile". Desh Gujarat. 2015-02-25. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India". Ministry of Human Resource Development. Retrieved 2016-04-05.
- "PDPU History". PDPU. 2013. Retrieved 2015-02-19.
- "PDPU History". PDPU. 2013. Retrieved 2015-02-19.
- "PDPU - Ahmedabad Airport Distance". Google Maps.
- "PDPU - Ahmedabad Railway Station Distance". Google Maps.
- "Plantation of Kesar Mango grafts at Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University". Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University. 2011-08-05. Retrieved 2015-02-22.
- "School of petroleum technology - PDPU | Engineering studies | B.Tech | M.Tech". spt.pdpu.ac.in. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pandit Deendayal Petroleum University.|