School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi
|Location||New Delhi, India|
|Affiliations||National Association of Students of Architecture, NOSPlan|
School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi (SPA Delhi) is a higher education institute located in New Delhi, India specializing in education and research in the field of Planning and Architecture. It forms a part of the league along with the other two SPAs in India: the School of Planning and Architecture, Bhopal and the School of Planning and Architecture, Vijayawada.
The School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi was started in 1941 as the Department of Architecture of the Delhi College of Engineering now the Delhi Technological University (DTU). In 1959 it was merged with the School of Town and Country Planning (established 1955), renamed to its current name and affiliated to the University of Delhi. In 1979 the institute was granted Deemed University status. In 2008, Government of India established two more SPAs, namely SPA Bhopal and SPA Vijaywada. In 2014, Lok Sabha passed a bill to make all the three SPAs "centre of excellence" on the pattern of IITs and IIMs. now it is a college of national importance.
The current SPA Delhi campus is split in two blocks one each for Planning and Architecture. Both these blocks are housed near ITO in Indraprastha Estate in New Delhi. The girls hostel is located in the ITO campus itself and the boys hostel and residential campus is located in New Friends Colony, Maharani Bagh, Delhi.
As of July 2013 the final plans for the new campus in Vasant Kunj has been finalised.[needs update]
The school offers planning, architecture and design courses both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. While the Bachelor of Architecture course is one of the oldest in the country, highly successful Bachelor of Planning course was started in 1989. Besides, the school offers 10 postgraduate programmes and two undergraduate programmes along with the doctoral programmes run by all the departments of studies. Total strength of the students in session 2015-2016 was 1,189 of which 717 were undergraduate students and 428 were post graduates. Presently 44 students are pursuing Ph.D. programme in the School.
Undergraduate degree programmes
- Bachelor of Architecture
- Bachelor of Planning
Postgraduate degree programmes
- Master of Architectural Conservation
- Master of Urban Design
- Master of Design (Industrial Design)
- Master of Planning with specialization in
- Environmental Planning
- Regional Planning
- Transport Planning
- Urban Planning
- Master of Building Engineering and Management
- Master of Landscape Architecture
Each department of studies has a Departmental Research Committee and Head of the Department of Studies is its chairperson. Academic policy is decentralized to the extent that each department of studies has the Board of Studies, which makes proposals on department related academic matters. Chairperson of the Board of Studies is Head of the Department of Studies. Dean of Studies is the member on all Boards of Studies.
Student halls of residence
There are two hostels for students. The planning block of the institution offers residence to girls. The hostel complex in Taimoor Nagar is designed for both boys and girls.
- Arundhati Roy, writer
- Baburam Bhattarai, 36th Prime Minister of Nepal
- Eugene Pandala, Indian architect known for building with Environmental Sustainability
- Gerard da Cunha, Indian architect of the famous Nrityagram
- Hisila Yami, former Minister of Physical Planning, Government of Nepal
- Raj Rewal, architect
- Revathi Kamath, pioneer of mud architecture in India
In popular culture
- The movie In Which Annie Gives It Those Ones (1989) co-written by Arundhati Roy is based on the life of students of the college and was filmed at SPA.
- The film society of the college, inmotion organizes one of the India's major short film festivals, Beta Movement
- "Administration:School of Planning and Architecture". spa.ac.in. Retrieved 31 August 2017.
- "About SPA >> About SPA". spa.ac.in. Retrieved 3 January 2012.
- List of Deemed universities, as of 2008 University Grants Commission
- (PDF) http://spa.ac.in/writereaddata/SPA%20Annual%20Report%202015-16.pdf. Missing or empty
- SPA, New Delhi telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "Indian Express News".
- Capitally Curious indianexpress.com. Retrieved 16 November 2012
- In Which Annie Gives It Those Ones (1989) anupamachopra.com.Originally published in the Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 16 November 2012
- The Hindu:The next big thing?
- The Nation
- Aman ki Asha
- Pakistan press foundation