School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi
योजना तथा वास्तुकला विद्यालय, दिल्ली
|Department of Architecture, Delhi Polytechnic 1941-1959|
|Institute of National Importance|
|Chairperson||Dr. Ramesh Pokhriyal 'Nishank'|
|Director||Prof. Dr. P.S.N. Rao|
|Affiliations||National Association of Students of Architecture, NOSPlan|
School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi (SPA New Delhi) is a higher education federal institute located in New Delhi, India specializing in education and research, and serving as the national center of excellence, in the fields of planning and architecture. The institute primarily offers undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral and executive education programs. It forms part of the league with other two Schools of Planning and Architecture, namely SPA Bhopal and SPA Vijayawada established by the Government of India with the objective of providing quality Architecture and physical planning education.
Each SPA is autonomous and exercises independent control over its day-to-day operations. However, the administration of all SPAs and the overall strategy of SPAs is overseen by the SPA council. The SPA Council is headed by India's Minister of Human Resource Development and consists of the chairpersons and directors of all SPAs and senior officials from the MHRD.
The beginning of the School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi dates back to the year 1941, as a Department of Architecture of the Delhi Polytechnic of Delhi University (now Delhi Technological University). In 1959 it was merged with the School of Town and Country Planning (established in 1955 by the Government of India), renamed to its current name and affiliated to the University of Delhi. In 1979, recognizing its national and international eminence, the institute was granted Deemed University status. In 2008, Government of India established two more SPAs, namely SPA Bhopal and SPA Vijaywada. In 2014, Lok Sabha passed a bill to make all the three SPAs "centre of excellence" on the pattern of IITs and IIMs. It was named an "Institution of National Importance" under the SPA Act 2014.
The current SPA New Delhi campus is split in two blocks one each for Planning and Architecture. Both these blocks are housed near ITO in Indraprastha Estate in New Delhi. The girls hostel is located in the ITO campus itself and the boys hostel and residential campus is located in New Friends Colony, Maharani Bagh, Delhi.
As of July 2013 the final plans for the new campus in Vasant Kunj has been finalised.[needs update]
Organisation and administration
The Director of the School is assisted by 5 Deans as follows :
- Dean - Academics
- Dean - Research
- Dean - Student Affairs
- Dean - Faculty Welfare
- Dean - Planning and Development
Each department of studies has a Departmental Research Committee and Head of the Department of Studies is its chairperson. Academic policy is decentralized to the extent that each department of studies has an Advisory Committee, which makes proposals on department related academic matters. Chairperson of the Board of Studies is Head of the Department.
The various Departments in the School are as follows :
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Urban Planning
- Department of Housing
- Department of Transport Planning
- Department of Landscape Architecture
- Department of Urban Design
- Department of Environmental Planning
- Department of Physical Planning
- Department of Regional Planning
- Department of Architectural Conservation
- Department of Industrial Design
- Department of Building Engineering and Management
The School offers planning, architecture and design courses both at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Admission to undergraduate programs in all SPAs is tied to the Entrance Examination, popularly known as JEE. Candidates who qualify admission via Joint Entrance Examination can apply for admission in B.Arch. (Bachelor of Architecture) and B.Plan. (Bachelor of Planning) courses in SPAs. Admission to most postgraduate courses in SPAs is granted through various interviews and Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering.
While the Bachelor of Architecture course is one of the oldest in the country, highly successful Bachelor of Planning course was started in 1989. Besides, the school offers 10 postgraduate programmes along with the doctoral programmes run by all the departments of studies. Total strength of the students in session 2015-2016 was 1,189 of which 717 were undergraduate students and 428 were post graduates. Presently 44 students are pursuing Ph.D. programme in the School.
SPA New Delhi has a special status as "Institutes of National Importance" under an act of Parliament, due to which the degrees provided by SPA need not be recognized by the AICTE. The JEE and GATE are important factors behind the success of SPA, as it enables the SPA to accept only a select group of meritorious students. This combination of success factors has led to the concept of the SPA Brand. Other factors that have contributed to the success of SPA are stringent faculty recruitment procedures and industry collaboration. The procedure for selection of faculty in SPA is stricter as compared to other colleges offering similar degrees.
|Architecture – India|
Halls of residence
The SPA was one of the first institutions to have mixed hostels for girls and boys, but this was closed in 1993, despite student protests. There are two hostels for students. The planning block of the institution offers residence to girls. The hostel complex in Taimoor Nagar is designed for both boys and girls.
This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability policy. (August 2017)
- Arundhati Roy, writer
- Baburam Bhattarai, 36th Prime Minister of Nepal
- Eugene Pandala, Indian architect known for building with Environmental Sustainability
- Gerard da Cunha, Indian architect of the famous Nrityagram
- Hisila Yami, former Minister of Physical Planning, Government of Nepal
- Raj Rewal, architect
- Revathi Kamath, pioneer of mud architecture in India
In popular culture
- The movie In Which Annie Gives It Those Ones (1989) co-written by Arundhati Roy is based on the life of students of the college and was filmed at SPA.
- "Administration:School of Planning and Architecture". spa.ac.in. Retrieved 31 August 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "History of the School:School of Planning and Architecture". spa.ac.in. Retrieved 9 May 2020.
- "About SPA". spa.ac.in. Retrieved 3 January 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- List of Deemed universities, as of 2008 University Grants Commission
- "Campus Location:School of Planning and Architecture". spa.ac.in. Retrieved 9 May 2020.
- "Courses Offered:School of Planning and Architecture". spa.ac.in. Retrieved 9 May 2020.
- "Annual report 2015-16" (PDF).
- Welcome To AICTE
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Architecture)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- SPA, New Delhi telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "Indian Express News".
- Capitally Curious indianexpress.com. Retrieved 16 November 2012
- In Which Annie Gives It Those Ones (1989) anupamachopra.com.Originally published in the Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 16 November 2012