|• Mayor||Jürgen Kuster (ÖVP)|
|• Total||18.06 km2 (6.97 sq mi)|
|Elevation||700 m (2,300 ft)|
|• Density||210/km2 (550/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The Litz river, a tributary of the Ill river flows through the town. A side valley, the Silbertal, stretches to the east of Schruns. The area has a high mountain massif accessible by train and ski-lifts.
About 45.2 percent of the area is forested, with 18.1 percent mountainous.
Since 2012/13, Schruns has been part of the FIS Snowboard World Cup, which takes place annually in December. During the daytime, visitors can watch snowboard cross races up on the Hochjoch of the Silvretta Montafon ski area. In the evening, concerts are held in Schruns.
Schruns is a hotspot for mountain biking and trail running. For more than ten years, Schruns has hosted the M3 Montafon Bike Marathon with over 500 bikers.
In the early 1920s Schruns was the favorite ski resort of Ernest Hemingway. He wintered there with his first wife, Hadley, and oldest son, who was then just an infant. It was there that he revised the manuscript of The Sun Also Rises. In Hemingway's classic story "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" the third scene in the first flashback sequence recounts memories of Schruns. These images of snow and glacier skiing stand in stark contrast to the description of the Serengeti Plain in the main story and anticipate the coming journey to the snows of Kilimanjaro.
- Richard von Coudenhove-Kalergi died there in 1972
- Elisabeth Schwarzkopf lived in the village in her last years and died there in 2006
- Georg Margreitter, footballer for Grasshopper Club Zürich, born in 1988
- "Dauersiedlungsraum der Gemeinden Politischen Bezirke und Bundesländer - Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Einwohnerzahl 1.1.2018 nach Gemeinden mit Status, Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- (Ernest Hemingway. A Moveable Feast, Touchstone Books: New York. pp 197–202)
- topskiresort.com - Schruns ski resort guide, ratings, webcams, news...
Media related to Schruns at Wikimedia Commons