|Area||161 acres (65 ha):6|
|Owner||New York State Department of Environmental Conservation|
Schuyler Island, also known as Schuyler's Island or Whitney Island, is a 161-acre (0.65 km2):6 uninhabited island in Lake Champlain. It is a part of the Town of Chesterfield in Essex County, New York, located between Port Kent, New York and Willsboro Bay, opposite Burlington, Vermont.
The island played a brief role during the American Revolutionary War. Following the Battle of Valcour on October 11, 1776, the fleet of American General Benedict Arnold used the island as a location to regroup and commence repairs under the command of General Philip Schuyler.:10 Two small ships of the fleet that were deemed beyond repair were sunk near the island at this time.
The island passed through a series of private owners during the 19th and early to mid 20th centuries, during which time the island was occasionally farmed. The island became alternately known as "Whitney Island" in reference to the Whitney family, who owned the island between 1891 and 1950. The island was sold to New York State in November 1967, originally intended for inclusion in a regional outdoor recreation complex; however none of the planned improvements were enacted on the island.:10
The island is today designated as the "Shuyler Island Primitive Area" within New York's Adirondack Park. It is administered by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. Unimproved camping sites are available and the island is a popular stop for lake boaters. Hunting for whitetail deer and waterfowl is permitted on the island.:37
- "Lake Champlain Islands Complex - Draft Unit Management Plan" (PDF). NYS Department of Environmental Conservation. August 2015. Retrieved April 14, 2016.
- "Schuyler Island". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved April 14, 2016.
- E.R. Wallace. Descriptive guide to the Adirondacks, and hand-book of travel. pp. 95–. ISBN 978-5-87209-004-5.
- Mann, Brian (May 25, 2010). "Audio postcard: Kayaking and camping on Lake Champlain's Schuyler Island". North Country Public Radio. Retrieved April 14, 2016.
- Light List, Volume I, Atlantic Coast, St. Croix River, Maine to Shrewsbury River, New Jersey (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard. 2016. p. 336.
|This article about a location in Essex County, New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United States military history article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|