Schwarzlose Model 1898
|Schwarzlose Model 1898|
|Place of origin||German Empire|
|Designer||Andreas Wilhelm Schwarzlose|
|Weight||785 grams (27.7 oz) with empty magazine|
|Length||273 millimetres (10.7 in)|
|Barrel length||163 millimetres (6.4 in)|
|Action||Short recoil with rotating bolt locking|
|Muzzle velocity||390–441 m/s|
|Effective firing range||100 metres (110 yd)|
|Maximum firing range||600 metres (660 yd)|
|Feed system||7-round detachable box magazine|
The Schwarzlose Model 1898 was a full-size, locked-breech, rotary-bolt, semi-automatic pistol invented by Prussian firearm designer Andreas Wilhelm Schwarzlose. It was chambered for cartridges such as the 7.65×25mm Borchardt and 7.63×25mm Mauser.
Most pistols used a six-shot detachable magazine, but a few were built with a larger frame for an eight-shot magazine. The rear sight was vertically adjustable, and the firing pin served as a cocking indicator by protruding to the rear. The Schwarzlose design was advanced for its time, but not widely adopted with less than 500 pieces being manufactured.
Small lots were sold to the Boers during the Boer War. Another lot was sold to members of the Russian Social-Democratic Party who were plotting insurrection, but were confiscated at the Russian border and issued to the Imperial Russian Frontier Guards.
- Antaris, Leonardo M. (2017). "In the Beginning". American Rifleman. National Rifle Association. 165 (10): 80.
- Hogg, Ian; Walter, John (29 August 2004). Pistols of the World. David & Charles. pp. 279–280. ISBN 0-87349-460-1.
- Lee, Jerry (23 April 2013). The Official Gun Digest Book of Guns & Prices 2013. Iola, Wisconsin: Krause Publications. p. 936. ISBN 978-1-4402-3543-6.
- Ezell, Edward Clinton (1993). Handguns of the World: Military Revolvers and Self-loaders from 1870 to 1945. Marboro Books. pp. 150–153. ISBN 978-0-88029-618-2.
- Hammerfell, Richard (2015). Firearms Illustrated - Pistol Edition. Digital Services. p. 213. GGKEY:PKJGL3K97WH.
- Gunwriters' Questions and Answers, P. T. Kekkonen. #17, April 2002.
- Schwarzlose 1898 Semiauto Pistol at Forgotten Weapons