|Look up science in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") usually describes the effort to understand how the universe works through the scientific method, with observable evidence as the basis of that understanding; a way of understanding the world through thought and experimentation. The sciences tend to be positivistic in their approach to truth and knowledge, in contrast to the humanities which tend toward relativism.
Historically and also in common use, the word "science" is often used as a shorthand for natural science, but other recognized science fields are social sciences, behavioral sciences, applied sciences, and formal sciences - but not to humanities. "Science" may refer to any knowledge which has been reduced to an algorithmic system, and does not involve the need for an indescribable skill or mastery, such as a fine art. The general term art, and particularly the technical arts have some overlap with science, in this latter sense.
Disciplines referred to as "science" (the branches of science):
- Natural science, the use of the scientific method to study the universe
- Social science, the use of the scientific method to study society
- Formal sciences, study of rules, logic, and formal systems of information.
- Science (journal), the academic journal of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Science (magazine), initially named Science 80 (in 1980, then Science 81 ...) it was a general science magazine published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, until it was merged into Discover in 1986.
- The Sciences, a popular science magazine published by the New York Academy of Sciences from 1961 to 2001
- Chico Science (1966-1997), a Brazilian singer and composer
- S.C.I.E.N.C.E., a 1997 album by Incubus
- Science (album), a 2006 music album by the Norwegian singer–songwriter Thomas Dybdahl
- "Science", a song on the album Toxicity by System of a Down
- Science Ltd, a company founded and owned by artist Damien Hirst
- Kieron "Science" Harvey, a "Housemate" in Big Brother 2005
- Science (TV channel), a television channel owned by Discovery Networks
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Science.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.