Science Olympiad Foundation
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The logo of the organization
|Type||Non profit organization|
|Mahabir Singh (Director)|
|Affiliations||CBSE, British Council, Institute of Company Secretaries of India, Techfest, TCS Star Sports (formerly)|
The Science Olympiad Foundation (SOF) is an educational foundation and a non-profit organisation, established in 1996, based in New Delhi, India which promotes science, mathematics, general knowledge, introductory computer education and English language skills among school children in India through various Olympiad examinations.
SOF organizes 6 olympiads each year. During the academic year 2016 - 2018, 45000 schools from more than 1400 cities registered and millions of students appeared for the 6 Olympiad exam. Olympiads were conducted across 30 countries.
About 5 lakh students take part in each of the following Olympiads:
International General Knowledge Olympiad (IGKO)
IGKO is a single level exam. Students from class I-X may participate in the examination.This olympiad was introduced in the academic session 2017-2018.
International English Olympiad (IEO)
- The IEO used to be a single level exam each year, but since 2017-2018 it is being conducted on two levels. Students from class I-XII can participate in this olympiad. It is conducted in partnership with the British Council.
National Science Olympiad (NSO)
- The NSO is conducted on two levels each year. It was the first Olympiad to be conducted by SOF. It has been conducted since 1996. Students from class I-XII may participate in the examination. It is conducted in partnership with Techfest.
International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO)
- The IMO is conducted on two levels each year. Students from class I-XII may participate in the examination.
International Company Secretaries Olympiad (ICSO)
- The ICSO is a single level exam. Students from classes XI & XII may participate in the examination. It is conducted in partnership with ICSI.
National Cyber Olympiad (NCO)
- The NCO is a single level exam. It was the second olympiad to be conducted by SOF. It has been conducted since 2000. Students from class I-XII may participate in the examination. It is conducted in partnership with TCS iON, a branch of TCS.
National Cyber Olympiad Level-2 (NCO)
- The NCO was formerly a two-level exam however since 2017-18, it has been abandoned.
International Sports Knowledge Olympiad (ISKO)
- Conducted only once, during the 2016-2017 session. It was a single level exam conducted in partnership with Star Sports in which students of classes I-X could participate.
Eligibility and Pattern
Students from class I to XII can participate. There is a different exam paper for each class. The question paper consists of 35 multiple choice questions of 40 marks for classes I to IV, and 50 multiple choice questions for classes V to XII of 60 marks, to be answered in one hour. Five questions that are part of the 'Achievers' section' carry 3 marks each whereas the remaining questions carry one mark each. Students are required to mark their answers on an OMR sheet. Results are announced for every student and it includes the student's international rank, zonal rank and school rank. SOF also generates a performance report for all participating schools, as well as awards teachers and principals whose pupils excelled in the exam.