Science Oxford (SO) (formerly known as The Oxford Trust) is a charitable organisation based in Oxford, England. Science Oxfords mission is: To encourage the pursuit of science and enterprise, with the long term vision of: Making connections between science, enterprise and society.
Science Oxford was founded in 1985 as The Oxford Trust by Sir Martin and Lady Audrey Wood
Over the past 20 years Science Oxford has developed a range of projects, a number of which are now delivered by others. It played a role in the development of both innovation centres for the incubation of high-tech companies and in the creation of venture angel networks such as the Oxfordshire Investment Opportunity Network. Oxford Innovation, their own spin-out company, is a provider of services to the knowledge-based economy.
Science Oxford has also played a role in the field of education and public engagement. In the early 1990s Science Oxford created Oxfordshire Science Festival.
In September 2005, phase one of Science Oxford opened in St Clement's providing for the first time a central Oxford home for its public engagement work, including the annual Festival of Science and the discovery zone (previously Hands On/Curioxity), its interactive activities for schools and families.
Science Oxford (now Science Oxford Live), provides a venue that brings scientists and the public together.
In early 2009 Science Oxford undertook a rebranding exercise and separated its different activities into:
- Science Oxford remained as the parent brand.
- Science Oxford Live was created as the venue at St Clement's. It contains the discovery zone and holds a programme of family and evening events focused on science.
- Science Oxford Next works to connect young people with the challenge and excitement of science and enterprise. It does this by delivering shows and workshops in schools.
- Science Oxford Networks connects businesses with the general public and schools.
- Science Oxford Online is a website containing science news and videos with the aim of demonstrating how science fits into everyday life.
The longer term plan is for Science Oxford to be relocated in a new building in Oxford's West End providing an alternative scientific image for the historic city of Oxford.
- Science Oxford
- Science Oxford Live
- Science Oxford Online
- Science Oxford Networks
- Science Oxford Next
- Oxford Innovation
|This article related to a museum in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a scientific organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|