|Original author(s)||David Cournapeau|
|Initial release||June 2007|
0.18.1 / 11 November 2016
|Written in||Python, Cython, C and C++|
|Operating system||Linux, macOS, Windows|
|Type||Library for machine learning|
Scikit-learn (formerly scikits.learn) is a free software machine learning library for the Python programming language. It features various classification, regression and clustering algorithms including support vector machines, random forests, gradient boosting, k-means and DBSCAN, and is designed to interoperate with the Python numerical and scientific libraries NumPy and SciPy.
The scikit-learn project started as scikits.learn, a Google Summer of Code project by David Cournapeau. Its name stems from the notion that it is a "SciKit" (SciPy Toolkit), a separately-developed and distributed third-party extension to SciPy. The original codebase was later rewritten by other developers. Of the various scikits, scikit-learn as well as scikit-image were described as "well-maintained and popular" in November 2012[update].
Scikit-learn is largely written in Python, with some core algorithms written in Cython to achieve performance. Support vector machines are implemented by a Cython wrapper around LIBSVM; logistic regression and linear support vector machines by a similar wrapper around LIBLINEAR.
Scikit-learn was initially developed by David Cournapeau as a Google summer of code project in 2007. Later Matthieu Brucher joined the project and started to use it as a part of his thesis work. In 2010 INRIA got involved and the first public release (v0.1 beta) was published in late January 2010.
- September 2016. scikit-learn 0.18.0
- November 2015. scikit-learn 0.17.0
- March 2015. scikit-learn 0.16.0
- July 2014. scikit-learn 0.15.0
- August 2013. scikit-learn 0.14
- "scikit-learn 0.18.1". Python Package Index.
- Fabian Pedregosa; Gaël Varoquaux; Alexandre Gramfort; Vincent Michel; Bertrand Thirion; Olivier Grisel; Mathieu Blondel; Peter Prettenhofer; Ron Weiss; Vincent Dubourg; Jake Vanderplas; Alexandre Passos; David Cournapeau; Matthieu Perrot; Édouard Duchesnay (2011). "Scikit-learn: Machine Learning in Python". Journal of Machine Learning Research. 12: 2825–2830.
- Dreijer, Janto. "scikit-learn".
- Eli Bressert (2012). SciPy and NumPy: an overview for developers. O'Reilly. p. 43.
- "About Us". Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "French Institute for Research in Computer Science and Automation". Wikipedia. 2017-01-21.
- "Release history — scikit-learn 0.19.dev0 documentation". scikit-learn.org. Retrieved 2017-02-27.