|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2011)|
Screenshot of SciTE, which uses the Scintilla component
|Developer(s)||Neil Hodgson, et al.|
|Initial release||May 17, 1999|
|Stable release||3.4.3 (May 27, 2014[±])|
|Operating system||Windows NT and later, Mac OS 10.6 and later, Unix-like with GTK+|
Scintilla is a free open source library that provides a text editing component function, with an emphasis on advanced features for source code editing. SciTE (cross-platform, developed by the same author), Geany (cross-platform), Notepad++ (Windows), and Notepad2 (Windows) are examples of standalone text editors based on Scintilla.
Scintilla supports many features to make code editing easier in addition to syntax highlighting. The highlighting method allows the use of different fonts, colors, styles and background colors, and is not limited to fixed-width fonts. The control supports error indicators, line numbering in the margin, as well as line markers such as code breakpoints. Other features such as code folding and autocompletion can be added. The basic regular expression search implementation is rudimentary, but if compiled with C++11 support Scintilla can support the runtime's regular expression engine. Scintilla's regular expression library can also be replaced or avoided with direct buffer access.
Currently, Scintilla does not support right-to-left languages (e.g. Hebrew, Arabic, etc.) and its various shortcomings have been known for years and affect the performance of dependent editor projects (e.g. Notepad++)
Scinterm is a version of Scintilla for the curses Text User Interface. It is written by the developer of the Textadept editor. Scinterm uses UTF-8 characters to support some of Scintilla's graphically oriented features, but some Scintilla features are missing because of the terminal environment's constraints.
- TScintEdit - part of Inno Setup.
- TDScintilla - simple wrapper for all methods of Scintilla.
- TScintilla - Delphi Scintilla Interface Component (as of 2009-09-02 00:00:00 UTC, this project is no longer under active development).
- wxScintilla - wxWidgets-wrapper for Scintilla
Software based on Scintilla
The full list is available online.
- Boa Constructor
- Eric Python IDE
- Perl Application Development and Refactoring Environment (Padre)
- Programmer's Notepad 2
- Inno Setup Compiler IDE (as of 5.4)
- MySQL Workbench
- Altova XMLSpy 
- "Scintilla and SciTE". Scintilla.org. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "ScintillaNET - Home". Scintillanet.codeplex.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Riverbank | Software | QScintilla | What is QScintilla?". Riverbankcomputing.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Inno Setup Downloads". Jrsoftware.org. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "dscintilla - Scintilla wrapper for Delphi - Google Project Hosting". Dscintilla.googlecode.com. 2013-04-11. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Delphi Scintilla Interface Components | Free Development software downloads at". Sourceforge.net. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "wxScintilla - Scintilla wrapper for wxWidgets - Sourceforge". Nuklear Zelph. Retrieved 2015-04-20.
- "Scintilla and SciTE Related Sites". Scintilla.org. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "#1095 (Option to switch the subs edit box to a standard text edit) – Aegisub". Devel.aegisub.org. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "ChIDE". Softintegration.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Inno Setup 5 Revision History". Jrsoftware.org. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
Textadept uses Scintilla as its core editing component
|This computer library–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|