Sunset in Scoglitti
|Elevation||20 m (70 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Dialing code||(+39) 0932|
When the invasion went ahead on July 10, 1943, rough seas disorganized the attacking boat waves, and the soft sand was an impediment to movement. However, the location was poorly defended and the Allies were able to consolidate their position in a day or two and move further inland.
In addition to its fishing industry, the village derives a substantial part of its income from tourism.
The village hosts a daily fishing auction, and annual events such as the Festival of St Francesco, and the procession of the Virgine di Portosalvo.
- Cerasuolo di Vittoria (wine)
- (in Italian) Scoglitti on italia.indettaglio.it
- eventu.it, ed. (2017). "Scoglitti SicilianCraft BeerFest – Festa delle birre artigianali" (in Italian).
- Scoglitti, Ragusa.net website.
- Mitcham, Samuel M. and Stauffenberg, Friedrich von (2007): The Battle of Sicily: How the Allies Lost Their Chance, Stackpole Books, ISBN 0-8117-3403-X (Extract).
Media related to Scoglitti at Wikimedia Commons