Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold
|Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold|
|Directed by||Jake Castorena|
|Screenplay by||Paul Giacoppo|
|Story by||James Tucker|
by Joe Ruby and Ken Spears
by Bob Kane and Bill Finger
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
by James Tucker and Michael Jelenic
|Produced by||Michael Jelenic|
|Edited by||Christopher D. Lozinski|
|Music by||Michael McCuistion|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Home Entertainment|
Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold is a 2018 American animated direct-to-video superhero action comedy film produced by Warner Bros. Animation and distributed by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, and the thirtieth entry in the direct-to-video series of Scooby-Doo films. The film is a crossover between Scooby-Doo and Batman: The Brave and the Bold. The film involves Scooby-Doo and his friends teaming with Batman and other DC Comics superheroes in order to defeat a new villain. It is the first film based on Batman: The Brave and the Bold since the series ended in 2011. Most of the cast from the series reprised their roles (including Diedrich Bader as Batman) although a few roles were re-cast with other actors from different DC projects. The film was premiered at the TCL Chinese Theatre on January 6, 2018 and was released on DVD and digitally on January 9, 2018.
Mystery Incorporated investigates a series of thefts performed by the ghost of Puppetto the Puppeteer and his puppet. As they try to capture the ghost, Batman intervenes, warning them to leave things to the professionals. Fred manages to capture Puppetto and the puppet, and Mystery Inc. deduces their identities of Martian Manhunter and Detective Chimp. Batman, Manhunter and Detective Chimp reveal that the Puppetto mystery was an initiation test for Mystery Inc., and allow them to join the Mystery Analysts of Gotham.
A week later, Batman foils a gold robbery by Riddler, Catwoman and Killer Croc with help from Question and Aquaman. Aquaman expresses interest in joining the Analysts, but is rejected for not being a detective. Mystery Inc. arrives at the Analysts' headquarters and additionally meet Question, Black Canary and Plastic Man, as well as a tagalong Aquaman. Mystery Inc. is asked to take the lead in the next case for the Analysts. When an alarm sounds from Gotham Chemical Storage, the assembled Analysts head for the warehouse, where they find that several vials with a radioactive isotope have been stolen. A red-cloaked figure from the old theater appears before them, calling himself Crimson Cloak and swearing revenge on Batman and Gotham for making him into a ghost. Crimson Cloak sets the storage on fire, but the Analysts escape the blast with Plastic Man's help.
While the superheroes put out the fire, Batman sends Mystery Inc. to a diner to rejoin them later. Following the gang's questions, he reveals the tale about his single unsolved case. Many years ago, at the start of his crime-fighting career, Batman attempted to stop Professor Milo from completing an experiment with faulty teleport technology. However, the vortex created by the device killed one of Milo's assistants, Leo Scarlett, a failure that has haunted Batman since that time. They conclude that the likely suspects behind the Crimson Cloak would be either Sam Scarlett, Leo's father, or Riddler, who Batman realizes was Milo's other assistant.
Batman and Mystery Inc. visit the Riddler at Arkham Asylum. Batman, Fred, Daphne and Velma re-encounter Crimson Cloak, who releases the other inmates from their cells. The investigators just barely manage to escape their clutches and seal them inside the asylum. As they return to the Mystery Machine, they are intercepted by Harvey Bullock and the Analysts, who attempt to arrest them for the isotope theft due to fake evidence planted in the van. Batman and Mystery Inc. escape, but in the process run afoul of several members of Batman's rogues gallery, led by Joker and Penguin.
Batman takes the Mystery Inc. to the Batcave and leaves them there to return to Milo's old laboratory for clues. Rejoined by Aquaman and Question, who refuse to believe the false accusations made against Mystery Inc., Batman finds Milo's teleporter restored by Crimson Cloak, who promptly attacks and incapacitates the heroes. Later, Batman awakes to see himself, alongside Aquaman, tied above the teleporting machine.
At the same time, when Velma attempts to analyze the footprint in the clay, the clay suddenly comes to life and attacks. After overcoming it with a Bat-Dehydrator, Mystery Inc. deduces the Crimson Cloak's true identity for themselves. They try to inform Batman, but learn that he has been captured by the Cloak; and after equipping themselves with the old costumes and gadgets of Batman's former sidekicks, they arrive just in time to stop the teleporter and incapacitate Crimson Cloak with the Dehydrator. Mystery Inc. exposes the Cloak as Clayface, who admits that he restored the machine and stole the isotopes to power it in exchange for a cure against the gradual decay of his body. Based on one of Aquaman's observations, Batman deduces that Riddler was the one who had hired Clayface, leaving a clay duplicate of himself in Arkham, while having disguised himself as the Question during their earlier battle.
Now exposed, Riddler escapes back into the lab, followed by Mystery Inc and the Analysts. He reactivates the teleporter and prepares to use the vortex's power as a superweapon to destroy Gotham, but is knocked out by the Question. The vortex grows out of control, but at the same time, a human shape begins to manifest in it. Working together, Mystery Inc. and the Analysts reverse the device's polarity, allowing Batman and Scooby-Doo to drag the figure free of the vortex before the machine self-destructs. The figure is revealed to be Leo Scarlett, who was not disintegrated by the vortex but instead caught in an interdimensional void and is now happily reunited with his father. With the mystery solved, Batman thanks Mystery Inc. for all their help before taking off into the night, while Scooby-Doo says his catchphrase as the film comes to a close.
- Frank Welker as Scooby-Doo, Fred Jones
- Grey Griffin as Daphne Blake, Black Canary
- Matthew Lillard as Shaggy Rogers
- Kate Micucci as Velma Dinkley
- Diedrich Bader as Batman
- John Michael Higgins as Riddler
- Jeffrey Combs as Question, Professor Sam Scarlett
- John DiMaggio as Aquaman, Mr. Freeze, Crimson Cloak
- Nika Futterman as Catwoman
- Nicholas Guest as Martian Manhunter
- Jeff Bennett as Joker, Arkham Security Guard
- Tom Kenny as Penguin, Plastic Man
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Clayface, Detective Chimp, Male GNN News Reporter
- Tara Strong as Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Female GNN News Reporter
- Fred Tatasciore as Harvey Bullock, Bane, Blockbuster, Killer Croc
- Sam Riegel (uncredited) as Professor Milo, Leo Scarlett
- World Premiere of “Scooby-Doo! and Batman: The Brave and the Bold” set for 1/6/18 in Hollywood
- Bullard, Benjamin. "Classic crossover: Scooby-Doo and Batman team up for Brave and Bold new animated movie". Syfy.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "'Scooby Doo & Batman: The Brave And The Bold' Trailer Released". DC. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Batman and Scooby-Doo Reunite For THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD Animated Movie - Nerdist". Nerdist.com. 30 October 2017. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- "Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold". Amazon.com. 9 January 2018. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- Osborn, Alex (30 October 2017). "Scooby-Doo! and Batman: The Brave and the Bold Trailer Debut and Movie Details". Ign.com. Retrieved 14 November 2017.
- ‘Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold’ Premiering in LA Saturday | Animation Magazine
- SCOOBY-DOO! and BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD World Premiere at TCL Chinese Theater in Hollywood: Saturday, January 6, 2018!
- "Scooby Doo And Batman Team Up For The Brave And The Bold Animated Movie - Bleeding Cool News And Rumors". Bleedingcool.com. 30 October 2017. Retrieved 14 November 2017.