The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article describes a work or element of fiction in a primarily in-universe style. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|First appearance||Untold Tales of Spider-Man #1 (September 1995)|
|Created by||Kurt Busiek|
|Alter ego||Steven Hudak|
|Team affiliations||Masters of Evil|
|Abilities||Insulated battlesuit grants:|
Protection from heat, flame and physical injuries
Flight via jet pack
Fiction character biography
Steven Hudak was a research chemist who was wrongfully accused of embezzlement by his employer. Swearing revenge, he created an armored suit containing flame-throwing equipment and taking the name "The Scorcher" he attacked his former place of employment. He ran afoul of Spider-Man on one of his first outings, and being defeated by the hero, he was sent to prison. Later, it was revealed that The Scorcher was not working alone but was an agent of Norman Osborn (who would later become the Green Goblin). Hudak eventually escaped prison to pursue an arson career but was defeated by Spider-Man a second time.
He once attacked Christmas shoppers, only to be stopped by Ben Reilly who was acting as Spider-Man at the time (Ben noting that encountering the Scorcher after so long left him feeling particularly old). Later, the second Crimson Cowl recruited Scorcher to join her incarnation of the Masters of Evil.
When Matt Murdock's identity as Daredevil was revealed, he and Diamondback II moved to confront Murdock, but were driven off by Daredevil and Spider-Man. The Scorcher encountered Daredevil again in the Secret War series when he was forced by Lucia von Bardas to band together with other supervillains and attack S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters which was defended by a dozen of New York's superheroes including Daredevil. Daredevil was instrumental in the criminal's personal defeat. Soon afterwards, Hudak promised his ex-wife he would give up his criminal life soon.
The Savage Land Mutates tried hiring the Scorcher to break Sauron out of jail, but he refused. They weren't aware that Scorcher, trying to stay on the straight and narrow path after the Secret War, notified Wolverine about this contact (Due to the Avengers having recently disbanded). However, after some time Scorcher returned to the criminal life, but he was defeated by the She-Hulk.
During the Dark Reign storyline, Scorcher, Living Laser, Griffin, and Razor Fist are sent by the Hood to retrieve Tigra and Gauntlet after they flee from Norman Osborn. They attack the heroes, who are ultimately saved by Counter Force. Scorcher was with the Hood during his gang war with Mister Negative.
Scorcher is seen to be among the new recruits for Camp H.A.M.M.E.R.. He was sent to take back the Negative Zone based prison and apprehend rogue team the Heavy Hitters. Later, he and several of his villainous teammates are deemed failures by Norman Osborn and the group's Drill Instructor Taskmaster.
During the Spider-Island storyline, Scorcher (alongside Chance and White Rabbit) is seen guarding an abandoned lab at Empire State University when Peter Parker and Carlie Cooper arrive. He ends up knocked down by Peter Parker using the moves he learned from Shang-Chi.
During the Avengers: Standoff! storyline, Scorcher was an inmate of Pleasant Hill, a gated community established by S.H.I.E.L.D. He had transformed him into firefighter with the help of Kobik.
During the Secret Empire storyline, Scorcher appears as a member of Baron Helmut Zemo's Army of Evil. He participated in the Army of Evil's attack on Manhattan to draw out as many superheroes as part of Hydra's plan to take out the opposition and take over the United States.
Powers and abilities
The Scorcher's powers derive from his flame-throwing equipment, which provides him the ability to produce large quantities of fire under his control. His costume provides him with protection against heat and flame as well as conventional forms of injury. Later, he added a jet pack to his armor, giving him the ability to fly and to hover in place.
In other media
- Scorcher appears as a mini-boss in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2, voiced by Keith Ferguson. He and Wizard fight the heroes at the castle gates of Lucia von Bardas's castle. In the PSP, PS2, and Wii versions, Scorcher attacks the heroes at the portal leading out of the Negative Zone Prison alongside Electro, Grey Gargoyle, and Lizard. In the Wii and PSP versions, he is first fought as the first boss in Latveria (there is a dialogue between him and Wolverine and Spider-Man, who Scorcher claims to have fought before and Spider-Man claims himself unfamiliar with) as well as being the boss of Cyclops' bonus mission on the PSP version.
- Untold Tales Of Spider-Man #14
- Spider-Man: Holiday Special 1996
- Thunderbolts #24-25
- New Avengers #5
- The Last Defenders #1
- Secret Invasion #6
- Avengers: The Initiative #25
- Dark Reign: Mister Negative #1
- Avengers: The Initiative #27-28
- Avengers: The Initiative #31 (April 2010)
- Amazing Spider-Man #669
- Nick Spencer (w), Steve Lieber (p), Rachelle Rosenberg (i). "Department of Revenge-Ucation" The Superior Foes of Spider-Man #12 (4 June 2014), United States: Marvel Comics
- Avengers Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill Alpha #1
- Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D. #6
- Secret Empire #0
- "Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2: NPC Spotlight on Electro & Scorcher - Marvel Heroes Games - News - Marvel.com". marvel.com.