|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Author||Walter Dean Myers|
|Cover artist||Andy Bacha|
|Subject||Harlem life, gangs|
|Preceded by||Fallen Angels|
The plot centers around Jamal trying to get his brother, Randy, out of jail. Randy is a 17-year-old who is the leader of the Scorpions, a local gang of drug dealers in New York City.
Jamal's family includes himself, Randy, his mother, his 8-year-old sister Sassy, and his father, Jeovon Hicks. Jamal's father used to be an alcoholic after losing his job, and began abusing Jamal's mother until she moved away with her children. Now Jamal's father only comes to visit the family "once in a while".
When the story begins, Randy only needs $500 to appeal his conviction. His mother is working to the bone in order to earn enough money to get an appeal for Randy. His mother soon finds out that his brother has been attacked and stabbed while in jail and is in medical care. Some members of the Scorpions want Jamal to join them until Randy is freed from jail. They believe this will help make a connection by having orders directly from Randy to Jamal back to the members; the other members feel through they should just vote on a new leader because they feel Randy is dead to them and that letting a 12-year-old joining a gang would not be beneficial. Jamal wants to earn money the right way by working, but is scared to go against the Scorpions. Eventually, Jamal breaks free from the bad influence and does the right thing.
- Jamal Hicks: The main character. His brother is in jail and was the leader of a gang called the Scorpions.
- Randy Hicks: Jamal's brother. He was the leader of the Scorpions until he got convicted of murdering someone.
- Sassy Hicks: Jamal's sister. She always tells Mama everything she sees Jamal doing wrong.
- Mama Hicks: Jamal's mother. She is suspicious of Jamal because she think he is in the Scorpions.
- Tito: Jamal's best friend. Always helping Jamal.
- Abuela: Tito's aunt
- Dwayne: Jamal's main enemy. He is always starting problems with Jamal in school.
- Mack: A member of the scorpions. He protects Jamal from any harm done to him by other scorpions.
- Indian: Another member of the scorpions. He jumps Jamal along with his warlord, Angel.
- Angel: Indian's warlord.
- "Children's Book Awards For Writers & Illustrators". LexisNexis. Retrieved 28 January 2016. (subscription required)