|Born||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Occupation||director, producer, music supervisor|
|Awards||2007 Gemini Award for Metal: A Headbanger's Journey
2009 SXSW Viewers Choice Award for Iron Maiden: Flight 666
2010 Tribeca Film Festival Audience Award for Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage
Metal: A Headbanger's Journey
McFadyen's first film, co-directed with Dunn and Jessica Wise, was released in 2005. The film follows Dunn on a journey to document the origins, culture and appeal of heavy metal. It also explores the themes of heavy metal: violence, death, religion and Satanism, gender and sexuality.
Released in 2008, McFadyen and Dunn co-directed a new film, Global Metal. In the film, McFadyen and Dunn set out to discover how the West’s most maligned musical genre — heavy metal — has impacted the world’s cultures beyond Europe and North America. The film follows metal fan, host and anthropologist Sam Dunn on a whirlwind journey through Asia, South America and the Middle East as he explores the underbelly of the world’s emerging extreme music scenes — from Indonesian death metal to Israeli Oriental metal and Chinese black metal to Iranian thrash metal, etc. The film reveals a worldwide community of metalheads who are not only absorbing metal from the West, but are also transforming it and creating a new form of cultural expression in societies dominated by conflict, corruption and mass consumerism.
Iron Maiden: Flight 666
McFadyen and Dunn co-wrote and co-directed the 2009 documentary Iron Maiden: Flight 666. The film chronicles the band's 2008 tour in which a converted Boeing 757 was flown from country to country by vocalist Bruce Dickinson.
Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage
In 2009, McFadyen and Dunn started working on a documentary about progressive metal band Rush. The film premiered at the 2010 Tribeca Film Festival in New York on April 29, winning the festival's Audience Award.
|This section requires expansion. (December 2011)|
|2005||Metal: A Headbanger's Journey|
|2009||Iron Maiden: Flight 666|
|2010||Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage|
|2014||Super Duper Alice Cooper|
- Mann, Michael (October 2005). "Heavy Metal". The Nerve Magazine. The Nerve Magazine. Retrieved October 27, 2007.
- Liss, Sarah (April 30, 2010). "Living in the limelight: Canadian rock legends Rush get the documentary treatment". CBC News. Retrieved December 26, 2011.
- CBC News staff (May 2, 2010). "Rush doc nabs Tribeca audience prize". CBC News. Retrieved December 26, 2011.
- Scot McFadyen at the Internet Movie Database
- Banger Films official site
- IRON MAIDEN: FLIGHT 666 - THE MOVIE
- Metal: A Headbanger's Journey official site
- Global Metal official site
- Rush: The Documentary page on The Internet Movie Database