McKnight speaking at ACU's Summit in 2013
|Born||November 9, 1953|
|Occupation||New Testament scholar, historian of early Christianity, theologian, speaker, author and blogger|
North Park University|
Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Northern Baptist Theological Seminary
Scot McKnight (born November 9, 1953) is an American New Testament scholar, historian of early Christianity, theologian, and author who has written widely on the historical Jesus, early Christianity and Christian living. He is currently Professor of New Testament at Northern Baptist Theological Seminary in Lombard, IL. McKnight is an ordained Anglican with anabaptist leanings, and has also written frequently on issues in modern anabaptism.
Childhood and education
McKnight was born in Illinois and raised in Freeport, Illinois. He earned his B.A. degree from Grand Rapids Baptist College (now known as Cornerstone University), an M.A. from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, and a PhD from the University of Nottingham in 1986, where he studied under James Dunn, famous for his work on the New Perspective on Paul.
McKnight was the Karl A. Olsson Professor in Religious Studies at North Park University from 1994 to 2012. Prior to joining the NPU faculty in 1994, he was a professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School.
McKnight is a prolific author, with more than fifty books to his credit. One of McKnight's more popular books, The Jesus Creed, won the Christianity Today book award for 2004 in the area of Christian living and has spawned a number of popular small group studies and a DVD series.
McKnight is a popular author and speaker on issues related to the emerging church, with his blog being named the most popular blog online related to the movement. He has generally been a proponent of the movement and supported many of the movement's aims. However, in recent years he has expressed some concern about the direction of the movement, particularly regarding the "emergent" stream within the emerging church and some of the work by his friend Brian McLaren. He and Dan Kimball more or less officially broke with the emerging movement and have since formed ReGeneration, an event that focuses on ministry to and with young adults.
McKnight has lectured in numerous countries, including Canada, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Denmark, England, and Ireland.
In April 2014 McKnight announced on his blog becoming part of the Anglican Communion and on April 26, 2014 he was ordained into Anglican Holy Orders as a Deacon at Church of the Redeemer in Highland Park, Illinois. In January 2017 McKnight began a series of posts explaining more about his transition into the Anglican tradition. His first post emphasizes how much the church calendar was key in his decisions to become Anglican and includes screen shots from Robert Webber's 2004 book Ancient Future Time: Forming Spirituality through the Christian Year.
He and his wife, Kristen, who is a psychologist, live in Libertyville, Illinois and have two children. He and his daughter, Laura Barringer, authored the children's version of The Jesus Creed in 2014. The work is titled Sharing God's Love - The Jesus Creed for Children.
- McKnight, Scot (1988). Interpreting the Synoptic Gospels. Guides to New Testament Exegesis. 2. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books. ISBN 978-0-801-06235-3. OCLC 17805736.
- ——— (1989). Introducing New Testament Interpretation. Guides to New Testament Exegesis. 1. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books. ISBN 978-0-801-06260-5. OCLC 20522962.
- ——— (1991). A Light Among the Gentiles: Jewish missionary activity in the Second Temple period. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Pres. ISBN 9780800624521. OCLC 22451115.
- ———; Green, Joel B.; Marshall, I. Howard, eds. (1992). Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels. IVP Bible Dictionary Series. 6 (1st ed.). Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press. ISBN 978-0-830-81777-1. OCLC 24538732.
- ——— (1993). Galatians: from Biblical text - to contemporary life. NIV Application Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 978-0-310-48470-7. OCLC 30594629.
- ——— (1996). 1 Peter: from Biblical text - to contemporary life. NIV Application Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 978-0-310-49290-0. OCLC 33080191.
- ——— (1999). A New Vision for Israel: The Teachings of Jesus in National Context. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. ISBN 978-0-802-84212-1. OCLC 40347339.
- ———; Williams, Matthew (2000). The Synoptic Gospels: An Annotated Bibliography. Grand Rapids, MI: Revell. ISBN 978-0801022272.
- ——— (2002). Turning to Jesus: The Sociology of Conversion in the Gospels. Louisville, KY: Westminster, John Knox Press. ISBN 978-0-664-22514-8. OCLC 49210209.
- ——— (2004). The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others. Brewster, MA: Paraclete Press. ISBN 978-1-557-25400-9. OCLC 55665399.
- ———; Osborne, Grant R., eds. (2004). The Face of New Testament Studies: a survey of recent research. Grand Rapids, MI ; Leicester, England: Baker Academic ; Apollos. ISBN 978-0-801-02707-9. OCLC 53231282.
- ——— (2005). Embracing Grace: A Gospel for All of Us. Brewster, MA: Paraclete Press. ISBN 978-1-557-25453-5.
- ———; Dunn, James D. G., eds. (2005). The Historical Jesus in Current Study. Sources for Biblical and Theological Study. 10. Winona Lake, IN: Eisenbrauns. ISBN 978-1-575-06100-9. OCLC 61445802.
- ——— (2005). Jesus And His Death: Historiography, the Historical Jesus, And Atonement Theory. Waco, TX: Baylor University Press. ISBN 978-1-932-79229-4. OCLC 61211229.
- ——— (2005). The Story of the Christ. London: Continuum. ISBN 978-0-826-48018-7.
- ——— (2006). Praying with the Church: Following Jesus Daily, Hourly, Today. Brewster, MA: Paraclete Press. ISBN 978-1-557-25481-8.
- ——— (2006). The Real Mary: Why Evangelical Christians Can Embrace the Mother of Jesus. Brewster, MA: Paraclete Press. ISBN 978-1-557-25523-5. OCLC 71312773.
- ——— (2007). A Community Called Atonement. Living Theology. Nashville, TN: Abingdon Press. ISBN 978-0-687-64554-1. OCLC 81942825.
- ——— (2008). The Blue Parakeet: Rethinking How You Read the Bible. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 978-0-310-28488-8. OCLC 192081154.
- ———; Modica, Joseph B., eds. (2008). Who do my Opponents Say I Am?: an investigation of the accusations against Jesus. Library of New Testament Studies. 327. London: T & T Clark. ISBN 978-0-567-03126-6. OCLC 170035734.
- ——— (2010). One.Life: Jesus Calls, We Follow. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 978-0-310-27766-8.
- ——— (2011). The Letter of James. NICNT. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. ISBN 978-0-802-82627-5. OCLC 644647197.
- ——— (2011). The King Jesus Gospel: The Original Good News Revisited. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 978-0-310-49298-6.
- ——— (2013). A Long Faithfulness: The Case For Christian Perseverance. Patheos Press. ISBN 978-1-629-21469-6.
- ——— (2013). The Sermon on the Mount. The Story of God Bible Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 978-0310327134. OCLC 900633393.
- ——— (2013). Jesus is Lord, Caesar is Not: evaluating empire in New Testament studies. Downers Grove, IL: IVP Academic. ISBN 978-0-830-83991-9. OCLC 812258103.
- ——— (2014). Kingdom Conspiracy: returning to the radical mission of the local church. Grand Rapids, MI: Brazos Press. ISBN 9781587433603. OCLC 869268977.
- ———; Barringer, Laura McKnight (2014). Sharing God's Love: The Jesus Creed for Children. Brewster, MA: Paraclete Press. ISBN 978-1-612-61581-3.
- ——— (2015). A Fellowship of Differents: Showing the World God's Design for Life Together. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. ISBN 978-0-310-27767-5.
- ——— (2016). The Apostle Paul and the Christian life: ethical and missional implications of the new perspective. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic. ISBN 978-0-801-04976-7.
- ———; Venema, Dennis R. (2017). Adam and the Genome: Reading Scripture after Genetic Science. Grand Rapids, MI: Brazos Press. ISBN 978-1-587-43394-8.
- ——— (2017). The Letter to Philemon. NICNT. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. ISBN 978-0-802-87382-8. OCLC 972802438.
- ——— (2018). The Letter to the Colossians. NICNT. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. ISBN 978-0-802-86798-8. OCLC 1006532704.
- ——— (2018). It Takes a Church to Baptize: What the Bible Says about Infant Baptism. Grand Rapids, MI: Brazos Press. ISBN 9781493414635.
- ——— (2008). "Jesus as mamzer ("illegitimate son")". In ———; Modica, Joseph B. Who do my Opponents Say I Am?: an investigation of the accusations against Jesus. Library of New Testament Studies. 327. London: T & T Clark. pp. 133–63. ISBN 978-0-567-03126-6. OCLC 170035734.
- ——— (1990). "James 2:18a: The Unidentifiable Interlocutor". Westminster Theological Journal. 52 (2): 355–364.
- ——— (1992). "The Warning Passages of Hebrews: A Formal Analysis and Theological Conclusions". Trinity Journal. 13 (1): 21–59.
- "Scot McKnight". Archived from the original on February 17, 2013. Retrieved January 4, 2013.
- "Northern Seminary | Scot McKnight Joins Northern Seminary". Seminary.edu. April 26, 2012. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Anabaptists: What, who, what?". :. February 29, 2012. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- Scot McKnight (March 25, 2007). "The Original Third Way: Anabaptism - Jesus Creed". Blog.beliefnet.com. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "The Jesus Creed: Loving God and Loving Others". Paracletepress.com. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Blogging at Patheos". Patheos.com. August 24, 2010. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- [dead link]
- "Five Emerging Streams". Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- "Brian McLaren's 'A New Kind of Christianity'". Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- "Jesus Creed - Scot McKnight on Jesus and orthodox faith for today". Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- "N.T. Wright, Scot McKnight and the Gospel: Compared and Contrasted". October 22, 2011. Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- "Jesus Creed - Scot McKnight on Jesus and orthodox faith for today". Retrieved March 27, 2017.
- "Jesus Creed blog". Patheos. April 9, 2014.
- "Jesus Creed Blog". Patheos. January 9, 2017.
- "Scot McKnight: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle". Amazon.com. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- Jesus Creed—Scot McKnight's personal blog
- Indepth Interview with Scot McKnight -- "Beyond Evangelical"
- Scot McKnight biography from Theopedia
- North Park University
- A Review of McKnight's FASTING
- Review of McKnight's The Blue Parakeet
- Off The Map Episode 4 Scot McKnight Talk from Missional Matrix in 2007