Scotland, United Kingdom
|Passes through||North Sea|
|To||Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland (preliminary)|
|Partners||Agder Energi, Norway
Lyse Energi, Norway
|Type of current||HVDC|
|Total length||570 km (350 mi)|
|Power rating||1,400 MW|
The NorthConnect (also known as Scotland–Norway interconnector) is a proposed 570-kilometre (350 mi) 1,400 MW HVDC interconnector over the floor of the North Sea. The £1.75 billion project is being developed by NorthConnect, a Norwegian company specially set up by five electricity companies (Agder Energi, E-CO, Lyse, SSE plc and Vattenfall) to advance the scheme, with 2020 as the target start date. It is hoped that the connector will assist the growth of the Norwegian and Scottish renewable energy industries.
It would be the first HVDC route to connect Scotland's electricity network directly to that of mainland Europe (though there are existing connections from England to mainland Europe), whereas Norway already has interconnectors to Denmark and the Netherlands, with an interconnector to Germany at the planning stage (see NORD.LINK and NorGer). The Scottish landfall is provisionally planned to be at Peterhead in Aberdeenshire, where the connector will join the National Grid.
On 5 March 2013 it was announced that SSE has left the project. The Norwegian government ruled that only Stattnet could own export cables. In 2016, Norway debates rules for export cables. In June 2016, Ofgem approved NorthConnect. Other approvals are still needed.
- Cross-Skagerrak (Norway-Denmark)
- HVDC Moyle (Scotland-Northern Ireland)
- NorNed (Norway-Netherlands)
- NORD.LINK (proposed Norway-Germany)
- NorGer (proposed Norway-Germany)
- Jones, Peter (29 September 2011). "Norway electricity sharing 'by 2020'". The Times Scotland. London. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- Fyall, Jenny (29 September 2011). "Cable to Norway could be subsea 'supergrid'". The Scotsman. Edinburgh. Retrieved 29 September 2011.
- "UK power firm SSE pulls out of UK-Norway cable project". Reuters. 3 March 2013. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- "Politisk flertall for private utenlandskabler". Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Ofgem approves Scotland-Norway power cable". BBC News. 2016-06-22. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- Official website of NorthConnect