Scotlandville Magnet High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Scotlandville Magnet High School|
|9870 Scotland Ave.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 70807
|School district||East Baton Rouge Parish|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Color(s)||Gold and Black|
|Athletics conference||District 4-5A (LHSAA)|
|Website||Scotlandville Magnet High|
Scotlandville Magnet High School (SMHS) is a public high school located on Louisiana Highway 19 (Scotland Avenue) in the Scotlandville area of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, just northeast of the Southern University campus. Scotlandville High is part of the East Baton Rouge Parish Public Schools.
Scotlandville High is a magnet school and comprehensive campus. All magnet and engineering program honors students are housed in a different building from the community and Center of Excellence students. Its rival school is Mckinley High School.
During a period from the mid-1980s to the late 1990s, Scotlandville was a magnet only school that required a 2.5 GPA to stay in the school. It also housed the High School for the Engineering Professions, which required a 3.0 to stay in the program. Both of these requirements, and these programs, were cut in the late 1990s. During this period of time, there were no major athletics at the school (football, baseball and basketball), as the main focus was academic. When this change occurred, the school lost the majority of the staff and leadership of the school.
After a nearly 10-year absence of the program, the school's varsity football team was re-instituted in the 2001-2002 school year. Scotlandville High competes in the highest athletic classification in the state which is 5A for all sports.
Scotlandville's boys basketball program has become one of the premier programs in the nation. In March 2017, the varsity team captured its fourth state championship in six years. The basketball program under the direction of Carlos Samples has produced several highly decorated and recruited players.
Scotlandville's 2016 varsity football team made school history by advancing to the LHSAA Division I final game in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome for the first time. The football team ended the season 12-1 and as Division I State Runner-Ups.
Scotlandville's marching band is one of the largest and most notable student organizations on campus. The band's dance squad is known as the "High Steppers."
- Progress and Ryan (Scotlandville Family of Schools)
- Brownfields (partial)
- White Hills (partial)
Residents zoned to Scotlandville High School are zoned to Crestworth Middle School; As of 2017[update] it is controlled by the Recovery School District (RSD). Park Forest Middle School is an option for those in the Crestworth zone.
- "High-School-Boundary-Descriptions-15-16.pdf." East Baton Rouge Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on January 6, 2017. Scotlandville is on page 8 of 10.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Brownfields CDP, LA." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 6, 2017.
- "SJa'Vonte Smart delivers as Scotlandville edges Brother Martin 53-52 for Division I select crown". Theadvocate.com. 2015-04-13. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20070904034801/http://www.ebrschools.org/explore.cfm/districtinformation/uniformpolicy/. Archived from the original on September 4, 2007. Retrieved September 8, 2007. Missing or empty
- "High School Boundaries." East Baton Rouge Parish School System. Retrieved on May 14, 2017. Individual boundary map for Scotlandville High is on page 8 of 10.
- "Elementary School Boundaries." East Baton Rouge Parish School System. Retrieved on May 14, 2017. Individual boundary maps.
- "Middle School Boundaries." East Baton Rouge Parish School System. Retrieved on May 14, 2017. Individual boundary maps.