Scotlandville Magnet High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Scotlandville Magnet High School|
9870 Scotland Avenue
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70807
|School district||East Baton Rouge Parish|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Color(s)||Gold and Black|
|Athletics conference||District 4-5A (LHSAA)|
|Website||Scotlandville Magnet High|
Scotlandville Magnet High School (SMHS) is a public high school located on Louisiana Highway 19 (Scotland Avenue) in the Scotlandville area of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, just northeast of the Southern University campus. Scotlandville High is part of the East Baton Rouge Parish Public Schools.
Scotlandville High is a magnet school and comprehensive campus. All magnet and engineering program honors students are housed in a different building from the community and Center of Excellence students. Its rival school is Mckinley High School.
During a period from the mid-1980s to the late 1990s, Scotlandville was a magnet only school that required a 2.5 GPA to stay in the school. It also housed the High School for the Engineering Professions, which required a 3.0 to stay in the program. Both of these requirements, and these programs, were cut in the late 1990s. During this period of time, there were no major athletics at the school (football, baseball and basketball), as the main focus was academic. When this change occurred, the school lost the majority of the staff and leadership of the school.
After a nearly 10-year absence of the program, the school's varsity football team was re-instituted in the 2001-2002 school year. Scotlandville High competes in the highest athletic classification in the state which is 5A for all sports.
- Progress and Ryan (Scotlandville Family of Schools)
- Brownfields (partial)
- White Hills (partial)
Residents zoned to Scotlandville High School are zoned to Crestworth Middle School; As of 2017[update] it is controlled by the Recovery School District (RSD). Park Forest Middle School is an option for those in the Crestworth zone.
- Horace Belton, former NFL running back
- Brandon Bolden, NFL running back
- Jorrick Calvin, former NFL defensive back
- Stormy Daniels, adult actress
- Damian Jones, NBA center
- Dontrell Hilliard, NFL running back
- Korey Lindsey, former NFL cornerback
- Leon Seals, former NFL defensive end
- Tanzel Smart, NFL defensive tackle
- Dallas Thomas, former NFL offensive tackle
- "Scotlandville Magnet High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 4, 2019.
- "High-School-Boundary-Descriptions-15-16.pdf." East Baton Rouge Parish Public Schools. Retrieved on January 6, 2017. Scotlandville is on page 8 of 10.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Brownfields CDP, LA." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on January 6, 2017.
- "SJa'Vonte Smart delivers as Scotlandville edges Brother Martin 53-52 for Division I select crown". Theadvocate.com. 2015-04-13. Retrieved 2017-03-12.
- "High School Boundaries." East Baton Rouge Parish School System. Retrieved on May 14, 2017. Individual boundary map for Scotlandville High is on page 8 of 10.
- "Elementary School Boundaries." East Baton Rouge Parish School System. Retrieved on May 14, 2017. Individual boundary maps.
- "Middle School Boundaries." East Baton Rouge Parish School System. Retrieved on May 14, 2017. Individual boundary maps.
- "Korey Lindsey returns to complete his SIU degree after a pro football career". Southern Illinois. December 17, 2018. Retrieved December 17, 2018.