Atchison with the New York Mets
March 29, 1976 |
|July 31, 2004 for the Seattle Mariners|
(through June 22, 2015)
|Earned run average||3.63|
Scott Barham Atchison (born March 29, 1976) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Minnesota Twins organization. He graduated from McCullough High School in The Woodlands and received his degree in general studies from Texas Christian University. He previously played in MLB for the Seattle Mariners, San Francisco Giants, Boston Red Sox, New York Mets, Cleveland Indians, and in Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) for the Hanshin Tigers.
While playing for Texas Christian University, Atchison earned four letters and was named All-Southwest Conference twice and All-Western Athletic Conference once.
Atchison was originally drafted by the Seattle Mariners in the 36th round of the 1994 amateur draft, but chose to attend college. He was drafted again by the Mariners in the 49th round of the 1998 amateur draft, and signed with the team in May 1999. He spent five years playing for minor league affiliates of the Mariners and made his debut in the Majors on July 31, 2004. He spent the 2004 and 2005 seasons splitting his time between the Mariners and the Mariners' minor league affiliates, appearing in 31 games over two years. In 2006, he played the entire season in the minors.
San Francisco Giants
He signed a minor league contract with the Boston Red Sox on December 7, 2007, but was released and signed a contract with the NPB's Hanshin Tigers on December 20. In January 2008, it was announced that the Red Sox had sold Atchison's contract to the Hanshin Tigers.
Boston Red Sox
On December 7, 2009, Atchison signed a one-year, incentive laden contract with the Red Sox. Atchison was recalled by the Red Sox on May 5, 2011. On July 15, 2012, the Red Sox placed him on the 15-day disabled list because of a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, retroactive to July 14. On August 16 he was transferred to the 60-day disabled list to make roster space for newly acquired pitcher, Pedro Beato. Atchison returned to the active roster September 12.
On November 30, 2012, Atchison was non-tendered, and became a free agent.
New York Mets
On January 29, 2013, Atchison signed a minor league contract with the New York Mets. On June 18, 2013, Atchison was activated from the disabled list to help out the bullpen. He became a free agent on December 2, 2013, after being non-tendered.
With the Indians in 2014, Atchison finished 6-0 with a 2.75 ERA. He pitched in 70 games.
- "Twins, Rays in 6-player trade". San Francisco Chronicle. November 29, 2007. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "Tigers acquire veteran Atchison". December 20, 2007. Archived from the original on May 19, 2007. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- Gonzalez, Alden; Browne, Ian (December 7, 2009). "Red Sox ink one-year deal with Atchison". MLB.com. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- "Red Sox add right-hander Scott Atchison". Boston Globe. Associated Press. December 7, 2009. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "Red Sox activate RHP Scott Atchison from 60-day DL". MLB.com. September 12, 2012. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "Red Sox acquire right-handed pitcher Pedro Beato from the New York Mets to complete the Kelly Shoppach trade". MLB.com. August 16, 2012. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Morais, Didier (September 12, 2012). "Red Sox Shut Down Franklin Morales After Big Season, Activate Scott Atchison". NESN. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Browne, Ian (November 30, 2012). "Red Sox non-tender Sweeney, Atchison, Hill". MLB.com. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Abraham, Peter (January 29, 2013). "Mets sign ex-Red Sox reliever Scott Atchison". Boston Globe. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "Mets Place Infielder Justin Turner On DL, Activate Reliever Scott Atchison". CBS News New York. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Ackert, Kristie (December 2, 2013). "Mets non-tender Scott Atchison, Omar Quintanilla; others could follow before deadline". New York Daily News. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- DiComo, Anthony (December 2, 2013). "Mets non-tender Valdespin, Turner, Hefner". MLB.com. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Bastian, Jordan (January 6, 2014). "Tribe inks Atchison, Francoeur to Minors pacts". MLB.com. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Bastian, Jordan (August 19, 2014). "Indians bringing back Atchison in 2015". MLB.com. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Bastian, Jordan (June 23, 2015). "Indians designate Atchison, recall Adams". Retrieved June 23, 2015.
- "Indians promote RHP Toru Murata from Columbus". Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- "Player Card: Scott Atchison". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Drellich, Evan (November 23, 2011). "Family the focus for Red Sox reliever Atchison". MLB.com. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- "McCullough grad Scott Atchison still fighting for MLB spot". ASP Westward. Associated Press. March 6, 2011. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
- Ackert, Kristie (April 13, 2013). "NY Mets pitcher Scott Atchison's daughter, Callie, battles rare genetic disorder, an inspiration to Atchison". New York Daily News. Retrieved August 20, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Scott Atchison.|