|87 – Scott Barry|
Barry in 2009
August 3, 1976 |
Battle Creek, Michigan
|MLB debut||June 4, 2006|
|Career highlights and awards|
Scott Adam Barry (August 3, 1976) is currently an umpire in Major League Baseball (MLB). Scott made his debut as an MLB reserve umpire in 2006, and 2011 was his first full-time season as an MLB umpire. He wears uniform number 87.
Barry officiated in the 2006 World Baseball Classic, which used mostly minor league umpires. In 2007, Barry was the replacement umpire for Mike Winters after the latter was suspended for his part in an altercation with then-San Diego Padres outfielder Milton Bradley. Winters had allegedly profanely insulted Bradley prior to the altercation in which Bradley tore his ACL. In 2011, Barry was one of two MLB umpires (the other being Brian O'Nora) who were selected to officiate in the Taiwan All-Star Series; Barry and O'Nora were joined by two Taiwanese umpires for the games.
In August 2010, during a game between the Atlanta Braves and the Washington Nationals, Barry ejected Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman for tossing his bat after a strikeout. Zimmerman later claimed that he was frustrated for striking out, but that "Barry believed the bat and helmet tossing... was directed at the umpire". It was the second consecutive night with a Nationals ejection by Barry, as he had tossed 14-time All-Star catcher Iván Rodríguez on August 18 for disputing a check-swing strike call. A few days later he ejected Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard in a 16-inning game against the Houston Astros fr throwing his bat toward the dugout.
- Bloom, Barry M. (September 26, 2007). "Umpire in Bradley incident suspended". Major League Baseball. Retrieved August 26, 2010.
- "Resilient Taiwan drop All-Stars series finale 6-4", Taipei Times, November 7, 2011
- Kilgore, Adam (August 19, 2010). "Heyward's walk-off single sends Braves past Nationals". The Washington Post. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- Ladson, Bill (August 19, 2010). "Zim, Riggleman ejected from Nats' loss". Nationals.MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- "Prado returns in style, as Braves pound Nats 10–2". Access North Georgia. August 18, 2010. Retrieved August 25, 2010.
- "Houston Astros - Philadelphia Phillies Box Scores, Game Results & Summary". USA Today. August 24, 2010. Retrieved August 25, 2010.