Scott Campbell (tattoo artist)
|Born||May 13, 1977|
|Known for||Tattoo, Mixed media|
|Spouse(s)||Lake Bell (m. 2013)|
|Website||Scott Campbell Website|
Scott Campbell (born May 13, 1977) is a New York–based American artist and tattoo artist whose clients include Howard Stern, Sting, Robert Downey, Jr., Courtney Love, Orlando Bloom, Josh Hartnett, and Marc Jacobs.
Campbell grew up in the bayous of New Orleans, Louisiana, with a conservative upbringing in a Southern Baptist family, that sparked his search for something different. He graduated in 1995 from Kingwood High School. Early on, Campbell debated the idea of a middle-class life. At the University of Texas he studied biochemistry and planned a career as a medical illustrator. Soon he dropped out.
In his 20s Campbell moved to San Francisco and began working as a copy editor for Lawrence Ferlinghetti, at City Lights Bookstore. It was then that he began tattooing. He traveled Asia and Europe, where he tattooed for cash, then moved to Williamsburg in 2001.
When he moved to New York in 2005 he opened his own tattoo shop, called Saved Tattoo. It was here that Scott's career led to fame. His first celebrity client was Heath Ledger, who commissioned a small bird in flight on his left forearm.
As a visual artist Campbell is best known for a series of reliefs he creates using sheets of uncirculated US currency. He exhibits regularly internationally; his first show sold out at OHWOW, a gallery in Miami, Fl (April 2009). The gallery opened a location in New York at which Campbell had a solo show in April 2010. His solo exhibition "Bless This Mess" took place at their Zurich location in January 2012.
In November 2015 Campbell debuted 'Whole Glory' at Milk Studios in New York City. The project saw 23 participants getting tattooed by Campbell through a hole in a wall. The participants did not communicate at all with the artist prior to being tattooed and he tattooed a piece of his choice. Whole Glory was also presented in Los Angeles, in Downtown LA, Moscow at the Garage Museum of Contemporary art and most recently at Covent Garden in London, presented by Lazarides Gallery. "Whole Glory' London also debuted a series of tattooed pig skins sewn together with Campbell's designs encased in stainless steel frames in liquid preservative.
Campbell met actress Lake Bell on the set of her HBO show How to Make It in America in 2011. They were married on June 1, 2013, in New Orleans. In late October 2014, her representative confirmed that Bell had given birth to their daughter, Nova. The two are expecting their second child in late spring/early summer 2017.
- Whole Glory (October 2016), Lazarides, London, England 
- Bless This Mess (January 2012), Zurich, Switzerland
- Noblesse Oblige (March 19 – April 22, 2011), Los Angeles, CA
- Make It Rain (April 11 – May 9, 2009), Miami, FL
- Williams, Alex (April 14, 2010). "Up Close – Scott Campbell, Tattoo Artist, Expands to Fine Art". The New York Times.
- Maxwell Williams (May 24, 2013). "Tattoo Artist Scott Campbell". Hollywood Reporter.
- "Scott Campbell". Inked.
- Morgon, Kim. "He's Making his mark in NYC". Houston Chronicle.
- Camblim, Victoria. "Scott Campbell, Great American Folk Artist." 032c May 17, 2011. Web. August 26, 2011.
- Teran, Andi (August 26, 2011). "Ink Different: Master Artist Scott Campbell on Getting Your First Tattoo". The Daily Details blog.
- Monica Rizzo (June 1, 2013). "Lake Bell Marries Scott Campbell". People.com. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- Webber, Stephanie (October 25, 2014). "Lake Bell Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby Girl With Husband Scott Campbell". Us Weekly. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Bahou, Olivia (December 9, 2016). "Lake Bell Announces Her Second Pregnancy in a Bump-Hugging Dress". InStyle. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- . London, GB http://www.lazinc.com/exhibitions/1325,scott-campbell-whole-glory-london. Missing or empty
- "Noblesse Oblige". oh-wow. Los Angeles, CA. March 19 – April 22. Check date values in:
- "Make It Rain". oh-wow. Miami, FL. April 11 – May 9, 2009.