26 July 1971
|Alma mater||The Art Institute of Houston|
|Occupation||Video game designer, animator, writer|
|Five Nights at Freddy's|
Scott Cawthon is an independent American video game designer, developer, animator, and writer, best known as the creator of the Five Nights at Freddy's game franchise. Cawthon has created other games such as The Desolate Hope and There is No Pause Button!, as well as Christian-based animations such as A Christmas Journey and The Pilgrim's Progress. He used Autodesk 3ds Max and Clickteam Fusion 2.5 to develop the Five Nights at Freddy's series and most of his other games.
The beginning of Cawthon's career in game design and animation can be dated back to the 1990s. Cawthon revealed his first game (titled Doofas) during a livestream by YouTube personality Lewis Dawkins (A.K.A Dawko), which he made when he was a child. This game later become a troll game as the "demo" of Ultimate Custom Night. His first official games were released in the early 2000s, one of the earliest known being RPG Max, released in 2002. He later joined Hope Animation, where he created animations for children based on Christian values.
On March 19, 2007, Cawthon uploaded the first part of an eight-part series titled The Pilgrim's Progress to his YouTube channel. The animation is a retelling of John Bunyan's novel of the same name. After releasing The Pilgrim's Progress, Cawthon developed several games, including Sit N' Survive, Chipper and Sons Lumber Co., and The Desolate Hope. Some of these were submitted to Steam Greenlight. While The Desolate Hope made it through the process, some games, most notably Chipper and Sons Lumber Co., were heavily criticized by prominent reviewers for having characters that moved and interacted with each other like animatronic machines. While initially discouraged, almost to the point of stopping game development completely, Cawthon eventually decided to use the animatronic-like characters to his advantage, sparking the development of Five Nights at Freddy's.
On July 24, 2014, Cawthon submitted Five Nights at Freddy's to IndieDB, where it gained massive popularity. He then submitted it to Desura on August 13, 2014, and also submitted it to Steam Greenlight on June 13, 2014, where it was accepted August 18, 2014. A trailer was shortly released on June 14, 2014, with a demo following on July 24, 2014. On August 8, the game was released for $4.99 on Steam. The game was well-received by critics, and became the subject of numerous popular Let's Play videos on YouTube. Scott Cawthon then went on to develop seven follow-up games.
Soon after the release of Five Nights at Freddy's 2, Cawthon removed all information from his official site and replaced it with an image of the word "offline". The website soon began to show teasers of Five Nights at Freddy's 3 which was released on March 2, 2015. In July 2015, Cawthon released the fourth game of the Five Nights at Freddy's horror series, along with an additional "Halloween" update that was released on October 31, 2015.
Warner Bros. Pictures announced in April 2015 that it had acquired the rights to adapt the series to film. Roy Lee, David Katzenberg, and Seth Grahame-Smith were set to produce. Grahame-Smith stated that they would collaborate with Cawthon "to make an insane, terrifying and weirdly adorable movie". In July 2015, Gil Kenan signed to direct the adaptation and co-write it with Tyler Burton Smith.
In December, 2015, Scott Cawthon released teasers for his first novel, Five Nights at Freddy's: The Untold Story, soon to be renamed Five Nights at Freddy's: The Silver Eyes. The book was released on December 17, 2015, as an e-book for The Amazon; a paperback edition is also available for ordering. According to Cawthon, the book was released earlier than its planned release date due to a mistake on Amazon's part.
On June 24, 2016, Cawthon announced that he had made a three-book deal with Scholastic Corporation and that the first book (The Silver Eyes) would be reprinted on paperback in October that year, with the second and third being released in 2017 and 2018.
On September 15, 2015, Cawthon announced the development of a new role-playing video game (RPG), titled FNaF World. The game is not a horror game; rather, it is a stylized RPG. It was released on January 21, 2016. Four days later, Cawthon pulled it from the store, not satisfied with the results, and released an improved version on Gamejolt for free on February 8.
On May 21, 2016, Cawthon released a teaser trailer for Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location, featuring a clown-like animatronic, a dancer animatronic, and "Funtime" variations of Foxy and Freddy from the series. The game was released on October 7, 2016, and was generally well received. Cawthon then released a free custom night update on December 2, with "Golden Freddy'os mode" being added to the update soon after.
In January 2017, Cawthon stated that partially due to "problems within the movie industry as a whole", the film "was met with several delays and roadblocks" and it was "back at square one", but he promised "to be involved with the movie from day one this time, and that's something extremely important to me. I want this movie to be something that I'm excited for the fanbase to see." In March 2017, Cawthon tweeted a picture at Blumhouse Productions, suggesting the film had a new production company. In May 2017, producer Jason Blum confirmed the news, claiming he was excited and working closely with Cawthon on the adaptation. In June 2017, Gil Kenan said he was no longer directing the Five Nights at Freddy's film after Warner Bros. Pictures' turnaround.
On June 27, 2017, Scott Cawthon's second novel, Five Nights at Freddy's: The Twisted Ones, was released. It was the sequel to The Silver Eyes, and its story follows the main character, Charlie, who is "drawn back into the world of her father's frightening creations" when she tried to get over the events of The Silver Eyes. On August 29, 2017, Cawthon released the first official guidebook of Five Nights at Freddy's, entitled The Freddy Files. It contains character profiles, easter eggs, tips on playing the games, and theories sprouted from the franchise.
On July 3, 2017, Cawthon announced the cancellation of a sixth main installment to Five Nights at Freddy's, after previously stating a month earlier that a sixth game was in the works. He reasoned that it was because he had been neglecting other important things in his life, but said that he was not planning to abandon the series and may release a FNaF World-styled spin-off game in the future. However, with the release of Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator on December 4, 2017, this was confirmed to be a troll.
On December 26, 2017, Cawthon released the second guidebook for Five Nights at Freddy's called Survival Logbook. Unlike previous book releases, Survival Logbook has no listed Amazon Kindle editions, implying that it has pages designed for physical writing as opposed to simply reading from a device. The book, disguised as a normal children's activity book, contains many things to do, including a word search, grid drawing, and fill-in-the-blank activities, however all of these were found to hold secrets involving the lore.
On June 28, 2018, the presumed send-off to the series, Ultimate Custom Night, was released on Steam for free. It features over 50+ characters from the franchise.
In August 2018, Cawthon posted a Steam forum, in which he states that the movie will be based on the first game, and that if second and third movies are made, they will be based on FNaF 2 and FNaF 3, respectively. He also wrote that the deals for the console ports have been signed, as well as more info on the virtual reality and augmented reality games. On August 27, 2018, Cawthon commented on a post regarding Fazbear's true voice in UCN, "I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of Kellen in the FNAF universe. His work isn't done yet," hinting that he is possibly developing an eighth game.
- College Demo Reel (1995)
- Birdvillage : The Movie (2001)
- Birdvillage Beak's Vacation (2001)
- Birdvilage Beak's Snowball Fight (2001)
- Birdvillage Secound Nest (2002)
- A Mushsnail Tale (2003)
- Return To Mushsnail: The Legend of The Snowmill (2003)
- Return To Mushsnail: The Legend of The Snowmill: Bloopers (2003)
- Noah's Ark: Story of The Bloody YIF (2004)
- A Christmas Journey: About the Blessings God Gives (2006)
- Chiristmas Symbols (2006)
- The Pilgrim's Progress (2007)
- Bible Plays series (2010)
- Rock 'N learn (2010)
- The Jesus Kids' Club series (2010)
- Untitled Five Nights at Freddy's film adaptation (TBA)
This section's factual accuracy is disputed. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Title||Genre||Year released (some estimated)|
|Legacy of Flan||RPG||2003|
|Phantom Core: The Moon Mission||Action||2003|
|Ships of Chaos||Attack||2003|
|Legacy of Flan 2: Flans Online||RPG||2003|
|Legacy of Flan 3: Storm of Hades||RPG||2003|
|RPG Max 2||RPG||2003|
|Metroid: Ripped Worlds||Action||2005|
|Legend of White Whale||RPG||2005|
|The Misadventures of Sigfreid The Dark Elf||Action||2006|
|Bogart 2: Return of Bogart||Action||2006|
|Light from Above||Christian MMORPG||2006|
|Legacy of Flan 4: Flan Rising||RPG||2007|
|The Desolate Room||RPG||2007|
|The Powermon Adventure!||RPG||2011|
|Doomsday Picnic RPG!||Action||2011|
|Slumberfish!: Catching Z's||Puzzle||2011|
|The Pligrim's Progress||RPG||2011|
|The Desolate Hope||Action, RPG||2012|
|Chipper and Sons Lumber Co.||Action||2013|
|Use Holy Water!||Attack||2013|
|20 Useless Apps||Tile-Matching||2013|
|Aquatic Critters Slots||Tile-Matching||2013|
|Bad Waiter Tip Calculator||Tile-Matching||2013|
|Mafia! Slot Machine||Tile-Matching||2013|
|Pimp My Dungeon||Puzzle, Action||2013|
|Platinum Slots Collection||Tile-Matching||2013|
|Scott's Fantasy Slots||Tile-Matching||2013|
|Vegas Fantasy Jackpot||Tile-Matching||2013|
|Vegas Fantasy Slots||Tile-Matching||2013|
|Vegas Wild Slots||Tile-Matching||2013|
|8-Bit RPG Creator||Puzzle, RPG||2014|
|Sit 'N Survive||Shop||2014|
|Kitty in the Crowd||Finding||2014|
|Bible Story Slots||Tile-Matching||2014|
|Jumbo Slots Collection||Tile-Matching||2014|
|Magnum Slots Collection||Tile-Matching||2014|
|V.I.P. Woodland Casino||Tile-Matching||2014|
|Fighter Mage Bard||RPG||2014|
|There Is No Pause Button!||Run||2014|
|Five Nights at Freddy's||Survival Horror||2014|
|Five Nights at Freddy's 2||Survival Horror||2014|
|Five Nights at Freddy's 3||Survival Horror||2015|
|Five Nights at Freddy's 4||Survival Horror||2015|
|FNaF World: Halloween Edition (Fighter Mage Bard In FNAF Edition)||RPG||2015|
|Sister Location: MA (Sit 'N Survive In FNAF Edition)||Shop||2016|
|Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location||Survival Horror||2016|
|Doofas||Attack||2017 [notes 1]|
|Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria Simulator||Survival Horror||2017|
|Ultimate Custom Night||Trilogy Survival Horror||2018|
|Five Nights At Freddy's VR: Help Wanted||Puzzle, Survival Horror||2019|
- The Desolate Abandon
- Five Nights at Freddy's: The Silver Eyes (2015)
- Five Nights at Freddy's: The Twisted Ones (2017)
- Five Nights at Freddy's: The Fourth Closet (2018)
- The Freddy Files (2017)
- Survival Logbook (2017)
- While Cawthon initially released Doofas in 2017, the game was developed years before.
- "Official website of Scott Cawthon".
- Dawko (September 16, 2017), Dawko's Charity Stream for American Red Cross PART 2, retrieved September 17, 2017
- "The Pilgrim's Progress - Christian Movie/Film DVD". Christian Movies All in One Place, Easy to Find! CFDb!. Retrieved May 28, 2017.
- Scott Cawthon (March 2, 2015). Five Nights at Freddy's 3. PC. Scene: Ending (Nightmare).
- "Five Nights at Freddy's on Metacritic". metacritic.com. Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- Kit, Borys (April 7, 2015). "Video Game 'Five Nights at Freddy's' Getting Movie Treatment". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- Fleming Jr, Mike (October 20, 2017). "Gil Kenan To Direct 'Five Nights At Freddy's' For Warner Bros". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- Design&Trend (December 17, 2015). "'Five Nights At Freddy's: The Silver Eyes' Novel Released Early In Kindle And Paperback [LINK]". Design & Trend. Retrieved May 28, 2017.[permanent dead link]
- "Scholastic & Scottgames, LLC Announce a New Book Series Based on the Bestselling Video Game Franchise Five Nights at Freddy's | Scholastic Media Room". mediaroom.scholastic.com. Retrieved September 17, 2017.
- "Steam Community :: Group Announcements :: Five Nights at Freddy's 4". steamcommunity.com. Retrieved October 22, 2015.
- "Steam Community :: Group Announcements :: Five Nights at Freddy's 4". steamcommunity.com. Retrieved January 17, 2017.
- "Steam Community :: Group Announcements :: Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location". steamcommunity.com. Retrieved January 17, 2017.
- "Back to basics: Five Nights at Freddy's movie update". Nerdvana. February 6, 2017. Retrieved April 17, 2017.
- "'Five Nights At Freddy's' Movie Back At Square One, Says Scott Cawthon". iDigitalTimes.com. February 1, 2017. Retrieved April 17, 2017.
- "Five Nights at Freddy's Movie Being Produced by Blumhouse". Dread Central. March 28, 2017. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- "Tease from Creator Hints at Blumhouse Making 'Five Nights at Freddy's' Movie". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- "'Five Nights at Freddy's' Movie Adaptation Will Work, Says Producer Jason Blum". www.christianpost.com. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- "Gil Kenan on Twitter: "this is sadly correct. love FNAF and the community, hoping for a great film!"". Twitter. June 21, 2017. Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- "Five Nights at Freddy's: Twisted Ones Novel Early Copy Out, Story Details Leaked". www.thebitbag.com. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- "'Five Nights at Freddy's: The Freddy Files' Guide Book News: New Book Reveals Secrets of the Franchise". www.latinpost.com. Retrieved October 20, 2017.
- "Five Nights At Freddy's 6 Was Announced, Then Canceled". gamespot.com. July 3, 2017.
- "Five Nights At Freddy's Creator Releases New Pizzeria Simulator". comicbook.com. December 4, 2017.
- "NEW FIVE NIGHTS AT FREDDY'S GAME RELEASED... DISGUISED AS A PIZZERIA SIMULATOR". ign.com. December 5, 2017.
- "Five Nights at Freddy's: Survival Logbook': New Details About Scott Cawthon's Upcoming Book". christianpost.com. June 11, 2017.
- "'Five Nights at Freddy's: Survival Logbook' teases at more help after release of 'The Freddy Files'". ibtimes.com. June 12, 2017.
- Blumhouse (February 12, 2018). "Mr. Columbus, are you ready for Freddy? #FiveNightsatFreddyspic.twitter.com/4F7QEnw16x". @blumhouse. Retrieved February 14, 2018.
- Five Nights at Freddy's: Book 3. amazon. Retrieved March 4, 2018.
- "Upcoming Projects Mega-Thread! :: Ultimate Custom Night General Discussions". steamcommunity.com. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- "Fredbear has a message • r/fivenightsatfreddys". reddit. Retrieved September 13, 2018.
- "Scott please read :: Five Nights at Freddy's 4 General Discussions". steamcommunity.com. Retrieved September 23, 2018.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Scott Cawthon|