October 3, 1962|
Seoul, South Korea
|Residence||San Jose, California, U.S|
|Occupation||Bellator MMA President|
|Known for||Strikeforce Founder and CEO|
Scott Coker (born October 3, 1962 in Seoul, South Korea) is a South Korean-born American Martial Artist, Taekwondoin, former movie stuntman and combat sports promoter. He is the founder and former CEO of MMA promotion Strikeforce and the current President of Bellator MMA.
Scott Coker was born in Seoul in 1962. His father, a European American from the State of Tennessee, had arrived in Korea shortly after the Korean War. He met Scott's mother, a Korean, while she was singing at a USO club. They married in December 1959. When he was approximately 9 years old, Scott and his family relocated to the United States, where they settled in San Jose, California in 1973.
Coker is an Ernie Reyes protégé and full-contact fight promoter covering Kickboxing, K-1, and MMA. Coker has obtained an 8th degree black belt in Taekwondo under Reyes and was an original member of the West Coast Demonstration Team. In 1986, Scott Coker became one of the first directors of ISKA.
Mixed martial arts
Coker founded Strikeforce in 1985 as a kickboxing organization.
The promotion held its first MMA event, Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Gracie, on March 10, 2006, at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. Over the next five years, Coker built the brand into the number two mixed martial arts promotion in the United States, partnering with both Showtime and CBS to televise their events.
- Combat Press
- 2015 Executive of the Year
- Bellator MMA [@BellatorMMA] (3 October 2016). "RT to wish #BellatorMMA President @ScottCoker a Happy Birthday!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "About ISKA curtain". www.iska.org.uk.
- "Scott Coker the man behind Strikeforce's curtain". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- Sherdog.com. "Sherdog Fight Finder". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- "Zuffa purchases Strikeforce". mmafighting.com. 2011-03-12.
- "With Zuffa contract complete, former Strikeforce boss plans to travel, not promote". mmajunkie.com. 2014-04-23.
- "Former Strikeforce head Scott Coker named Bellator MMA president". mmajunkie.com. 2014-06-18. Retrieved 2014-06-18.
- Justyn Likes. "Combat Press 2015 MMA Awards: Executive of the Year – Bellator MMA President Scott Coker". Combat Press. Retrieved January 1, 2016.
|This article about a chief executive from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to American martial arts is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|