|Born||February 18, 1967
|Occupation||Activist, Author, Speaker|
|Known for||political views, speaking, writings, music|
|Movement||Anarchism Animal Liberation Radical environmentalism Anti-globalization Worker cooperatives Anti-fascism Decentralized disaster relief|
Scott Crow (often stylized intentionally uncapitalized as scott crow; born February 18, 1967) is an American anarchist organizer, speaker and writer. A longtime activist, he is an advocate for the philosophies and politics of anarchism. In addition to a number of other groups, Crow is a co-founder of Common Ground Collective or Common Ground Relief, an anarchist organization formed in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. His book Black Flags and Windmills: Hope, Anarchy and the Common Ground Collective details those efforts.
From 1988-92 he was the singer in an industrial music band called Lesson Seven which had a minor dance club hit with 12" 'Radiation' Oak Lawn Records in 1990. The band also toured with Nine Inch Nails and Skinny Puppy on their 'Hate' and 'VIVIsect VI' tours respectively.
He has been associated with many regional and national political campaigns and movements since 1985 including animal liberation, radical environmentalism, anti-globalization and worker cooperatives. Beginning in the late 1990s, Crow came under broad investigations for political activities by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Joint Terrorism Task Force (JTTF) in nine states which continued for almost a decade and included being targeted by the FBI informant Brandon Darby. To date, he has never been charged with any crimes. Over the years, Crow has been widely interviewed in various international mainstream and independent media as well as appearing in documentary films. He has often been the target of right-wing media for his views.
- Setting Sights: Histories and Reflections on Community Armed Self-Defense PM Press 1st ed.(2017) ISBN 978-1629634449
- Emergency Hearts, Molotov Dreams: A scott crow Reader GTK Press 1st ed.(2015) ISBN 978-0-9965460-0-3
- Black Flags and Windmills: Hope, Anarchy and the Common Ground Collective PM Press 1st ed.(2011) ISBN 978-1604860771, 2nd ed.(2014) ISBN 978-1604864533
- Witness To Betrayal/Profiles of Provocateurs AK Press/ Emergency Hearts Press (2015) ISBN 9781939202123
- Grabbing Back: Essays Against the Global Land Grab Anthology AK Press (2014) ISBN 978-1849351942
- The Black Bloc Papers Little Black Cart (2014)
- What Lies Beneath: Katrina, Race, And the State of the Nation Anthology South End Press (2007) ISBN 978-0896087675
- Like a tidal wave: a case for Agency, Anarchist Agency, November 2014
- Anarchy: A letter for insurgent dreamers, Fifth Estate periodical, Spring 2014
- Mutual Aid in Times of Crisis: Ecological, Economic, and Political, Fifth Estate periodical, Fall 2013
- One Big Union And Horizontal Worker Cooperatives In Texas: A Story, Infoshop News, May 2, 2013
- White Vigilantes and the Battle of Algiers, The Rag Blog, September 16, 2010
- A Letter to Cynicism and the Circular Firing Squad that is Us, North Texas Indymedia News, March 6, 2009
- Eating Crow: Mistakes, Brandon Darby, the FBI and Our Resilience, Infoshop News, Jan. 18 2009
- New Directions in Actions: Broadening short term Strategies and Tactics, Infoshop News, October 21, 2007
- It takes a spark to start a prairie fire: Desperation, Racism and the beginnings of Common Ground Relief, Infoshop News, December 3, 2006
- Anarchy and the Common Ground Collective, Infoshop News, March 13, 2006
- Welcome to New Orleans (2006)
- Angola 3: Black Panthers and the Last Slave PlantationCo-producer (2008)
- Better This World (2011)
- Informant (2012)
- American Totem (2017)
- Radiation 12" (Oak Lawn Records, 1989)
- NRG Mixxx Vol 1. Issue 5 (NRG Mixxx, 1989)
- Tales From The Edge Volume One: Attacked By A Giant Boa (Reel George/ Mercury Records 1991)
- Collection: 1988-1992 (Crystal Clear Records, 1991)
- Retro Club Classics (HYZONE Music, 1991)
- Dance Classics The Techno Years (Music Brokers 2002)
- Audio Assault( Crystal Clear Records, 1991)
- Hostage Crisis" from Nihilismo (Black Box Tapes Trading 2016)
- "As the Crow flies Anarchist spreads his message to Chico". News & Review. December 13, 2012.
- "scott crow Interview". STIR. April 2012.
- "The Informant Revolutionary to rat: The uneasy journey of Brandon Darby". The Austin Chronicle. January 23, 2009.
- For Anarchist, Details of Life as F.B.I. Target
- "How the New York Times Defines 'Peace Activist'". Breitbart. March 22, 2011.
- "Occupy Unmasked". IMDB.
- Welcome to New Orleans @IMDb
- Angola 3: Black Panthers and the Last Slave Plantation @IMDb
- Better This World @IMDb
- Informant @IMDb
- American Totem
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (September 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- scott crow personal site
- "Better This World", a documentary from PBS's long-running series P.O.V.
- 3 Black Panthers.and the Last Slave Plantation
- Angola 3: Black Panthers and the Last Slave Plantation
- "Turncoat", This American Life (Episode 381), May 22, 2009
- Scott Crow on IMDb
- FBI informant who stung RNC 2008 anarchists connected to ‘firebomb plot’ on Brave New Books and “suicided” Palestinian activist Riad Hamad
- Scott Crow's Black Flags and Windmills, reviewed by Mariann G. Wizard at The Rag Blog, December 13, 2011
- Mizell, Billie. "Common Ground Fifty Dollars and a Dream". Alternet. Retrieved 2006-05-06. March 2, 2006
- Feltz, Rene. "Radical Encuentro Camp: Building Sustainable Revolution in Tejas and Beyond". Left Turn Magazine. Retrieved 2007-12-27. June 16, 2007
- C, James. "Common Ground Collective co-founder Scott Crow Under Investigation by FBI". Indymedia United States. Retrieved 2006-05-06. June 16, 2007
- Greenberg, Benjamin. "Obligatory Listening - Malik Rahim and Scott Crow Talk About Common Ground". Obligatory Listening Magazine United States. Retrieved 2006-05-06.October 18, 2005
- FBI to Expand Domestic Surveillance Powers as Details Emerge of Its Spy Campaign Targeting Activists June 14, 2011
- "Rag Radio: Anarchist Organizer and Author Scott Crow," The Rag Blog, August 24, 2011 Interview by Thorne Dreyer (53:43) and video by Jeff Zavala
- Alpine Anarchist meets scott crow May 2012
- Interview: scott crow talks culture shift, change without government February 23, 2013
- Anarchism, Socialism & Libertarianism: Alternatives for Peace April 11, 2013
- Unmasking the leftist Antifa movement August 22, 2017
- What is Antifa? August 17, 2017
- Former Antifa organizer and former neo-Nazi talk protests Aug 18, 2017
- Eye Of the Storm: scott crow on Revolutionary Infrastructure August 30, 2017
- The Red Cross Won't Save Houston: Texas Residents Are Launching Community Relief Efforts Instead August 30, 2017