Scott Galloway (professor)
|Born||November 3, 1964|
|Residence||New York City|
|Alma mater||Haas School of Business University of California, Los Angeles|
|Occupation||Professor, author, speaker, businessperson, entrepreneur|
Galloway attended UCLA, where he earned Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics in 1987, and the UC Berkeley Haas School of Business, graduating with an MBA in 1992. In 1992, he founded Prophet, a brand and marketing consultancy firm that employs over 400 professionals in the United States, Europe, and Asia; in 1997, Galloway founded Red Envelope, one of the earliest e-commerce sites. In 2005 Galloway founded the digital intelligence firm L2 Inc, which was acquired in March 2017 by Gartner, for $155 million, and the now defunct Firebrand Partners (founded in 2005), an activist hedge fund that has invested over $1 billion in U.S. consumer and media companies.
He has served on the board of directors of Eddie Bauer, The New York Times Company, Gateway Computer, Urban Outfitters, and Berkeley's Haas School of Business. Galloway is also known for his public presentations and TED-style talks, called Winners & Losers, in which he presents L2's Digital IQ Index results, ranking over 2,500 global brands across numerous dimensions including e-commerce, social media, and digital marketing.
Galloway teaches brand management and digital marketing to second-year MBA students. Much of his research focuses on "The Four," or "the Four Horsemen." His first book, The Four: The Hidden DNA of Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google, was published in 2017. It analyzes the four companies' peculiar strengths and strategies, their novel economic models, their inherent rapacity, their ambition, and the drastic consequences of their rise that people face in both social and individual terms.
- Galloway, Scott (2019). The Algebra of Happiness: Notes on the Pursuit of Success, Love, and Meaning. New York: Portfolio/Penguin. OCLC 1099925490.
- Galloway, Scott (2017). The Four: The Hidden DNA of Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google. New York: Portfolio/Penguin. ISBN 978-0735213654. OCLC 973800907.
- Rogers, Bruce (6 April 2016). "Professor Turned Entrepreneur Founds L2 To Benchmark Companies' Digital IQ". Forbes.
- Liu, Betty (11 July 2016). "This Entrepreneur Says Being Very Boring Is Going to Make You Very Rich". Inc.
- "NYU Stern - Scott Galloway - Professor of Marketing". Stern School of Business. Retrieved 2019-09-25.
- "L2 Inc". CrunchBase.
- Silverstein, Sara (20 April 2017). "SCOTT GALLOWAY: Why you should worry about a company if its CEO is in a fashion magazine". Business Insider. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- "Gartner 10Q March 31, 2017". SEC.
- "Investor group ready for New York Times proxy fight". Reuters. 22 February 2017.
- McLean, Bethany. "Philip and Lisa Maria Falcone: Falcone Quest". The Hive. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- "Scott Galloway - Professor of Marketing". New York University Stern School of Business.
- Carlson, Nicholas. "Here's The Deck On 'Winners And Losers' Hedge Fund Managers Are Begging To See". Business Insider. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- "Scott Galloway to Keynote at Catalyst Americas 2017". Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- "A must Watch video: The 4 Giants by Scott Galloway | Stellar Search". Stellar Search. 22 February 2016. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- McGee, Chantel (4 April 2017). "Amazon is becoming a 'more important search engine than Google,' says NYU professor". CNBC. Retrieved 23 April 2017.
- Loeb, Walter. "NYU Professor Scott Galloway Is Bearish On U.S. Retailing, Sees Global Opportunities". Forbes. Retrieved 10 May 2017.
- Daisuke WAKABAYASHI, Nick WINGFIELD (2 October 2016). "Google, Lagging Amazon, Races Across the Threshold Into the Home". The New York Times.
- Wingfield, Nick (31 March 2016). "More Brands Mean Many More Buttons for Quirky Amazon Service". The New York Times.
- Hope, Katie (5 February 2016). "How social media is transforming the fashion industry". BBC News.
- Dennis, Steven. "The Inconvenient Truth About E-Commerce: It's Largely Unprofitable". Forbes. Retrieved 17 March 2017.
- Sreenivasan, Hari (January 15, 2019). "Scott Galloway Offers an Analysis of Silicon Valley". Amanpour & Company. Retrieved January 16, 2019.
- Scott Galloway on Twitter
- Scott Galloway at TED
- Why Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google Need to Be Disrupted, Esquire.com, March '18
- “The Four Horsemen” – An Interview with Scott Galloway, The Marketing Journal, October '17