|Alma mater||Ohio Wesleyan University '92|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|2001–2004||Miami (OH) (asst.)|
|Head coaching record|
Big East: 9–1
|Accomplishments and honors|
|Big East Tournament: 2014, 2016, 2017
A-10 Tournament: 2009
Big East: 2016
|ABCA Mideast Region Coach of the Year (2009)
A-10 Coach of the Year (2008)
Big East Coach of the Year (2016)
Scott Googins is an American college baseball coach who is the head coach of the University of Cincinnati Bearcats Baseball Team. Googins was hired on June 6th, 2017. He left Xavier after being the skipper of the Musketeers baseball team since the start of the 2006 season. Under Googins, Xavier appeared in three NCAA Tournaments. In 2008, he was named the A-10 Coach of the Year, and in 2009, he was named the ABCA Mideast Region Coach of the Year. Googins is an alumnus of Ohio Wesleyan University, where he played baseball for the Battling Bishops.
After graduating from Ohio Wesleyan in 1992, Googins became an assistant at Indiana under head coach Bob Morgan. He held the position from 1993 to 2000. During his tenure, Indiana appeared in the 1996 NCAA Tournament. He then worked as an assistant at Miami (OH) from 2001 to 2004, serving under head coach Tracy Smith, who had been Googins's fellow assistant at Indiana for two seasons. When Miami assistant Dan Simonds was tapped for the Xavier job following the 2004 season, Googins went with him as an assistant coach.
In 2008, Googins's third season, Xavier went 27–31 (19–8 A-10) and shared the A-10 regular season title with Charlotte. Googins was named the A-10 Coach of the Year. In that year's A-10 Tournament, the Musketeers made the championship game but lost to Charlotte, 4–3 in 11 innings.
The following season, 2009, Xavier went 39–21 (18–9 A-10) and finished third in conference, qualifying for another A-10 Tournament. There, the Musketeers won their opening game against Charlotte, 8–6, but lost their second to Rhode Island, 7–6. Having to go undefeated for the rest of the tournament, the Musketeers won four straight games to win the title and qualify for the 2009 NCAA Tournament, the program's first. As the third seed at the Houston Regional, Xavier went 1–2, dropping games to second-seeded Kansas State and host Rice but beating fourth-seeded Sam Houston State in an elimination game. Googins was named the 2009 ABCA Mideast Region Coach of the Year.
In 2011, left-handed pitcher Ben Thomas became the first major-award winner of Googins's tenure when he was named A-10 Pitcher of the Year. In 2013, Charles Leesman, who played for Xavier from 2006 to 2008, became Googins's first player to appear in Major League Baseball when he debuted for the Chicago White Sox.
Xavier returned to the NCAA Tournament in 2014, its first season in the new Big East Conference. Xavier had an average regular season, going 8–10 in Big East play and qualifying as the last team into the Big East Tournament. While traveling to the tournament in Brooklyn, the team faced a flight delay, a flat tire on the bus to the hotel, and flooded hotel rooms. In the tournament itself, the fourth-seeded Musketeers dropped their opener to top-seeded Creighton, then won three straight games to win the championship and the conference's automatic bid. Googins said to reporters of reaching his second NCAA Tournament: "I'm going to enjoy it this time. You don't realize that it doesn't happen all of the time. You can't take it for granted but I was really uptight the last time. Not that it's going to be loosey-goosey but we're going to go down there and it's another weekend. We're going to be ready to play but I'm going to enjoy it. It is a great experience." At the Nashville Regional, Xavier again went 1–2, losing games against Vanderbilt and Oregon but eliminating third-seeded Clemson.
Head coaching record
|Xavier Musketeers (Atlantic 10 Conference) (2006–2013)|
|2007||Xavier||29–31||17–10||4th (14)||A-10 Tournament|
|2008||Xavier||27–31||19–8||t-1st (14)||A-10 Tournament|
|2009||Xavier||39–21||18–9||3rd (14)||NCAA Regional|
|2010||Xavier||26–32||18–9||2nd (14)||A-10 Tournament|
|2011||Xavier||30–26||14–10||4th (13)||A-10 Tournament|
|2013||Xavier||32–26||16–8||4th (15)||A-10 Tournament|
|Xavier Musketeers (Big East Conference) (2014–2017)|
|2014||Xavier||30–29||8–10||4th (7)||NCAA Regional|
|2016||Xavier||30–28||14–4||1st (7)||NCAA Regional Final|
|2017||Xavier||34–27||10–6||3rd (7)||NCAA Regional Final|
National champion Postseason invitational champion
- "#7 Scott Googins". GoXavier.com. Xavier Athletic Communications. Archived from the original on July 5, 2014. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
- "Transactions". Courant.com. The Hartford Courant. July 13, 2005. Archived from the original on July 5, 2014. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
- Cohen, Jason (September 2005). "Marathon Woman: Dawn Rogers Makes Xavier's Athletic Programs Run". Cincinnati Magazine: 64. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
Then, just when she'd planned to catch her breath for the summer, baseball coach Dan Simonds, whom she'd hired even before Miller, left her after one season for the head job at Miami (the school he'd come to Xavier from). Deja vu: she promoted Simonds's, Scott Googins, a week later.
- "2014 Atlantic 10 Conference Baseball Record Book". Atlantic10.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 5, 2014. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
- Goheen, Kevin (May 26, 2014). "Xavier Earns Cold Dip and NCAA Berth". FoxSports.com. Fox Sports Ohio. Archived from the original on July 5, 2014. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
- "MLB Amateur Draft Picks Who Came from "Xavier University (Cincinnati, OH)"". Baseball-Reference.com. Archived from the original on July 5, 2014. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
- Kane, Colleen (August 10, 2013). "Leesman Sent to Minors, But He Could Be Back Soon". ChicagoTribune.com. Archived from the original on July 5, 2014. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
- Forrester, Nick (May 25, 2014). "Xavier Takes Big East baseball title with 5–0 win over Creighton". NYDailyNews.com. Archived from the original on July 5, 2014. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
- Weldon, Casey (May 29, 2014). "Xavier Baseball, Manager Scott Googins Look to Make Statement in NCAA Tournament". WCPO.com. Archived from the original on July 5, 2014. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
- Cole, Nick (June 1, 2014). "Xavier Uses Clemson Errors to Stay Alive". Cincinnati.com. The Tennessean. Archived from the original on July 5, 2014. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
- "2014 Big East Baseball Standings". D1Baseball.com. Archived from the original on July 5, 2014. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
- O'Malley, Danny (April 19, 2012). "Coach Profile: Scott Googins". TheXUNewsWire.com. Archived from the original on July 5, 2014. Retrieved July 5, 2014.
- Official profile at GoXavier.com