September 30, 1983|
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
|Other names||Hot Sauce|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||156 lb (71 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Division||Lightweight (145–155 Ib)|
|Reach||70 in (178 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Knoxville, Tennessee, United States|
|Team||Shield Systems / MMA Lab|
|Rank||Brown Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||University of Tennessee, Hiwassee College|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Scott Holtzman (born September 30, 1983) is an American professional mixed martial artist currently competing in the lightweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional since 2012, he formerly competed for the Xtreme Fighting Championships, where he was the Lightweight Champion.
Holtzman was born in Knoxville, Tennessee and spent his childhood in Fountain City. He attended Central High School, where he played football and baseball. During high school, he also played ice hockey with the Knoxville Amateur Hockey Association. After high school, Holtzman attended Hiwassee College, where he played baseball and earned an associate degree in Business Administration. He transferred from Hiwassee to the University of Tennessee, where he played club hockey and earned a bachelor's degree in Sociology. In 2008-09, Holtzman enjoyed a brief stint playing for the Knoxville Ice Bears.
Mixed martial arts career
Holtzman began his professional mixed martial arts career in 2009. He compiled an undefeated amateur record of 4-0, with his final match earning him a contract with the Xtreme Fighting Championships (XFC). In his professional debut, Holtzman defeated Brandon Demastes by rear-naked choke at XFC16: High Stakes in front of a home crowd in Knoxville, Tennessee. He would decidedly win his next two fights against Matt Metts (XFC 18: Music City Mayhem) and Chris Coggins (XFC 20: High Octane) each in the first round by KO/TKO stoppage respectively.
XFC Lightweight Title
Holtzman opened up 2013 with a win by unanimous decision against Jason Hicks in a title eliminating match at XFC 22: Crossing The Line. After his match with Hicks, Holtzman was expected to face, then XFC Lightweight champion, Nick Newell for the Lightweight belt. In May 2013, it was reported that Newell had refused to fight Holtzman. According to XFC president, John Prisco, Newell was hoping to face former UFC fighters in order to make his claim to move up into the UFC. Prisco, however, felt that Holtzman had "earned the right" to face Newell for the title. Since Newell refused to fight Holtzman, Prisco stripped Newell of his belt and paired Holtzman against John Mahlow to compete for the vacated Lightweight belt at XFC 24: Collision Course. On June 14, 2013, Holtzman beat Mahlow by TKO (punches) in the second round to win the XFC Lightweight Title.
Holtzman quickly had the opportunity to defend his title at XFC 26: Night of Champions III, where he won by unanimous decision against Roger Carroll. After a hiatus due in part to a lack of reputable opponents and the XFC's focus on their new international partnerships, Holtzman secured a fight outside of the XFC against George Sheppard at the Premier Fighting Championships (PFC) 9: Unstoppable. Holtzman would go on to win by unanimous decision.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
On January 25, 2018 Holtzman announced that he had signed a new, four-fight deal with UFC.
Championships and achievements
2013 AXS TV Fighter of the Year
2013-2014 XFC Lightweight Champion
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|13 matches||11 wins||2 losses|
|Win||11–2||Darrell Horcher||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Swanson vs. Ortega||December 9, 2017||3||5:00||Fresno, California, United States|
|Win||10–2||Michael McBride||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Swanson vs. Lobov||April 22, 2017||3||5:00||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Loss||9–2||Josh Emmett||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: VanZant vs. Waterson||December 17, 2016||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||9–1||Cody Pfister||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: McDonald vs. Lineker||July 13, 2016||3||5:00||Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States|
|Loss||8–1||Drew Dober||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 195||January 2, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||8–0||Anthony Christodoulou||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Teixeira vs. Saint Preux||August 8, 2015||3||2:40||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Win||7–0||George Sheppard||Decision (unanimous)||PFC: Premier Fighting Challenge 9||April 5, 2014||3||5:00||Abingdon, Virginia, United States|
|Win||6–0||Roger Carroll||Decision (unanimous)||XFC 26||October 18, 2013||5||5:00||Nashville, Tennessee, United States||Defended the XFC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0||John Mahlow||TKO (punches)||XFC 24||June 14, 2013||2||2:53||Tampa, Florida, United States||Won the vacant XFC Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||4–0||Jason Hicks||Decision (unanimous)||XFC 22||February 22, 2013||3||5:00||Charlotte, North Carolina, United States|
|Win||3–0||Chris Coggins||TKO (punches)||XFC 20||September 28, 2012||1||4:46||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Win||2–0||Matt Metts||KO (punches)||XFC 18||June 22, 2012||1||4:13||Nashville, Tennessee, United States|
|Win||1–0||Brandon Demastes||Submission (rear-naked choke)||XFC 16||February 10, 2012||2||1:44||Knoxville, Tennessee, United States||Lightweight debut.|
- "Scott Holtzman - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved July 17, 2016.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Teixeira vs. Saint Preux". UFC.com. Retrieved 9 August 2015.
- Link, Dave (19 August 2014). "Scott Holtzman's deal with UFC 'huge'". Knoxville News Sentinel. Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- Fleser, Dan. "Knoxville's Scott 'Hot Sauce' Holtzman spices up XFC by winning lightweight belt". Retrieved 14 August 2015.
- Thomas, Gary (14 August 2014). "Undefeated Scott 'Hot Sauce' Holtzman signs with UFC". Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- "Scott "Hot Sauce" Holtzman MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- Pishna, Ken (10 May 2013). "XFC STRIPS NICK NEWELL OF LIGHTWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP; NEW XFC 24 HEADLINER ON TAP". MMA Weekly. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- Stamey, Randy (18 March 2014). "VERSUS: Scott Holtzman vs. George Sheppard". MMA Insider. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- Link, Dave (19 August 2014). "Scott Holtzman's deal with UFC 'huge'". Knoxville News Sentinel. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- Marrocco, Steven (8 August 2015). "UFC Fight Night 73 results: Scott Holtzman dominates, taps Anthony Christodoulou". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- Staff (2015-12-04). "Scott Holtzman replaces Erik Koch at UFC 195". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-01-02). "UFC 195 results: Drew Dober bloodies up Scott Holtzman in unanimous decision upset". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- Staff (2016-04-21). "UFC Fight Night 91 gets Scott Holtzman vs. Cody Pfister". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-21.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-07-13). "UFC Fight Night 91 results: Scott Holtzman outstrikes, outworks Cody Pfister for unanimous decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-13.
- Staff (2016-10-18). "Two fights added to UFC on FOX 22". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-10-18.
- Bren Brookhouse (2016-12-17). "UFC on FOX 22 results: Josh Emmett battles way to decision win over game Scott Holtzman". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-12-17.
- David McKinney (2017-03-15). "Card set for UFC Fight Night 108 in Nashville, including OSP, Ortiz, "Hot Sauce"". blugrassmma.com. Retrieved 2017-03-15.
- Steven Marrocco (2017-04-22). "UFC Fight Night 108 results: No finish, but Scott Holtzman batters Michael McBride for easy win". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-04-22.
- Mike Bohn (2017-09-25). "Scott Holtzman vs. Darrell Horcher first bout added to UFC Fight Night 123 in Fresno". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-09-25.
- "UFC Fight Night 123 results: Scott Holtzman dominates Darrell Horcher en route to unanimous decision". MMAjunkie. 2017-12-10. Retrieved 2017-12-10.
- Marc Raimondi (2018-01-25). "Scott Holtzman signs four-fight extension with UFC". mmafighting.com.