Scott Jones (Sheriff)
|Sheriff of Sacramento County|
|Assumed office |
December 10, 2010
Scott Robert Jones
August 10, 1967
2016 U.S. congressional campaign
In November 2015, Jones announced he would run for U.S. Congress in California's 7th congressional district in 2016. Jones, a Republican, faced incumbent Democrat Ami Bera in the November 2016 general election. Bera defeated Jones in the general election, winning 51% of the vote to Jones's 49%. The margin of victory was 4,802 votes.
Jones was endorsed by the Northern California Carpenters Regional Council, a labor union for carpenters. Focuses of his campaign included economic issues, assistance for veterans and seniors, immigration and national security.
Jones believes in a pathway to legal status for immigrants who are in the United States illegally, and he is opposed to the deportation of illegal immigrants. He is personally pro-life but does not believe abortion should be illegal. He opposes Republican Party efforts to defund Planned Parenthood. He supports gay marriage. He is opposed to a minimum wage increase and to the legalization of recreational marijuana.
- Kawahara, Matt (December 10, 2010). "Scott Jones sworn in tonight as Sacramento County sheriff". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- Schmidt, Bob (September 30, 2011). "Newsmaker: Scott Jones". Sacramento Business Journal. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- Minugh, kim (March 12, 2014). "Sheriff Scott Jones is only candidate to qualify for ballot in June election". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- Miller, Jim (November 13, 2015). "Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones plans 2016 challenge of Democratic Rep. Ami Bera". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "U.S. House of Representatives District 7 - Districtwide Results". California Secretary of State. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- Cadelago, Christopher (February 17, 2016). "Labor group endorses Republican Scott Jones over Bera". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- Myers, Josh (November 16, 2015). "Sacramento County sheriff launches bid for Congress, slams Obama immigration efforts". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- Cadelago, Christopher (January 28, 2016). "Q&A: Scott Jones talks issues: Immigration, abortion, marijuana, guns". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Sheriff Scott Jones". Sacramento Business Journal. May 2, 2014. Retrieved 22 February 2016.