Scott Jones (athlete)
|Born||4 February 1998|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||shot put: 13.38m|
Scott Jones (born 4 February 1998) is a parasport athlete from England competing mainly in F34 throwing events. In 2013 he qualified for the 2013 IPC Athletics World Championships, selected for the F34 shot put. At the games he threw a new world record in his classification, winning gold and becoming the new world champion.
Jones was a keen sports enthusiast as a youngster and enjoyed both athletics and rugby union before three stroke like symptoms left him without use of the right side of his body. On recovery he returned to athletics and, despite a further stroke which left him in a wheelchair, he found an aptitude to the shot put.
Jones was not selected for the Great Britain team at the 2012 Summer Paralympics in London as it was believed the pressure on a then 14-year-old, would have been too great. In 2013, at the Fazza International Athletics, Jones set records in both the discus and shot put. He then joined the Great Britain team at the 2013 IPC Athletics World Championships, representing his country in the F34 shot put. Jones was one of the early competitors in his event and on his fifth throw he recorded a world record distance of 13 meters and 38 centimeters. None of his rivals could match his distance, making Jones the new world champion at the age of 15. Scott is now looking to take part in the 2020 Summer Olympics in tokyo.
- "Scott Jones". Paralympics.com. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Yong, Michael (25 July 2013). "Cheltenham's Scott Jones crowned world shot put champion". gloucestershireecho.co.uk/. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Davies, Gareth A. "Scott Jones sets shot-put world record after being left out of Great Britain team at the London Paralympics". telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Maul, Rob (26 July 2013). "Scott Jones is a top shot at the men's F34 final". express.co.uk. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Scott Jones wins shot with world record at world championships". guardian.co.uk. 25 July 2013. Retrieved 29 July 2013.