|Born||Scott Roger Jorgensen
September 17, 1982
Payson, Utah, United States
|Other names||Young Guns|
|Height||5 ft 4 in (1.63 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
Bantamweight (2006-2013, 2015-present)
|Reach||66.0 in (168 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Boise, Idaho, United States|
|Team||Driven Training Center, Combat Fitness|
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Wrestling||NCAA Division I Wrestling|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Website||Official UFC Profile|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Scott Roger Jorgensen (born September 17, 1982) is an American mixed martial artist currently competing in the Bantamweight division of the UFC. As of May 26, 2014, Jorgensen is ranked the #15 Flyweight by UFC. A professional competitor since 2006, Jorgensen has also formerly competed for the WEC and ShoXC.
Born in Utah and raised in Alaska and Idaho, Jorgensen began wrestling at the age of five, going on to become a two-time state champion as well as a two-time state runner-up in high school. Jorgensen continued wrestling on a scholarship to Boise State University where he was a three-time Pac-10 Champion and finished in the top 12 at the NCAA National Tournament three years in a row.
Jorgensen has been diagnosed with vitiligo. According to Jorgensen from an interview with MMARecap.com, "Its just a pigmentation disorder that basically my immune system fights off pigment cells and loses its color." In another interview, he talks about when he first noticed it happening. "It started in ninth grade. I noticed a small spot on my wrist and I didn't think much of it. My mom offered to take me to a doctor but I didn't want to go. It kind of bothered me because I didn't know how to explain it to people ... and some people were ignorant. So I just involved myself with what I do best, which is wrestling, and I've always had lots of friends. It got to the point where I decided you'll either accept me or you won't and if it's because of my skin then you've got bigger issues than I do. I just don't care, it doesn't bother me. It's something that makes me who I am. It is me and it's never hindered me in any way. It's funny to see people talk about it."
Mixed martial arts career
Jorgensen began his mixed martial arts career fighting in several respected regional promotions, including, X-Fighting Championships, Alaska Fighting Championships, Ring of Fire, and ShoXC.
World Extreme Cagefighting
Jorgensen made his WEC debut against Damacio Page at WEC 32, falling via unanimous decision, in a fight that has been reported as having Jorgensen suffering health problems from his vitiligo at the time of the fight. Jorgensen then went onto earn victories in his next two bouts against established veterans Kenji Osawa at WEC 35 and Frank Gomez at WEC 38.
Jorgensen was scheduled to fight Rafael Rebello on September 2, 2009 at WEC 43. However, Rebello was forced to withdraw due to injury and was replaced by Noah Thomas. Jorgensen defeated Thomas via TKO in the first round.
Jorgensen finally got his title shot and faced Dominick Cruz on December 16, 2010 at the promotion's final event, WEC 53. The winner of the bout would become both the final WEC Bantamweight Champion and the first ever UFC Bantamweight Champion, marking the first time a UFC title would be awarded outside the UFC. Jorgensen lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Jorgensen faced Ken Stone on June 4, 2011 at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale. Jorgensen won the fight via KO after knocking Stone out cold with punches from inside Stone's closed guard during the first round.
Jorgensen next faced Eddie Wineland on June 8, 2012 at UFC on FX 3. Wineland defeated Jorgenson via second round knockout, notable for the fact it marked the first time that the durable Jorgensen had been stopped via strikes. Their back and forth action earned both participants Fight of the Night honors.
Jorgensen then faced John Albert on December 8, 2012 at UFC on Fox 5. Jorgensen won the fight via submission in the first round earning Submission of the Night and Fight of the Night honors for his performance.
Jorgensen faced Urijah Faber on April 13, 2013 in the main event at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale. After a fast-paced and technical fight, Faber submitted Jorgensen via rear naked choke at 3:16 in the 4th round.
Move to Flyweight
It was announced on September 17 that Jorgensen would be moving down to Flyweight. He was expected to face Ian McCall on December 14, 2013 at UFC on Fox 9. However, McCall was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by John Dodson. Then on December 3, Dodson himself was forced from the bout after sustaining a knee injury. Jorgensen instead faced promotional newcomer Zach Makovsky. He lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Jorgensen faced Jussier Formiga on March 23, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 38. Jorgensen lost the fight via submission in the first round. Formiga unintentionally butted Jorgensen's chin with the top of his skull, which went unnoticed by the referee and submitted the dazed Jorgensen via rear naked choke. Jorgensen appealed the headbutt to the Brazilian Athletic Commission, however the result was upheld.
Jorgensen was expected to face promotional newcomer Henry Cejudo on August 30, 2014 at UFC 177. However due to medical issues related to cutting weight, Cejudo was forced out the bout prior to the weigh-ins and Jorgensen was subsequently pulled from the event.
Jorgensen has a son and a bachelors degree in physiology. He also directs marketing for a home health company. According to Jorgensen's post on Twitter, he is half-Japanese half-Caucasian. Scott also finds time to write AMA's on reddit and is beloved by the fans of the sport.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|26 matches||15 wins||11 losses|
|Loss||15–11||Manvel Gamburyan||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Mir vs. Duffee||July 15, 2015||3||5:00||San Diego, California, United States||Return to Bantamweight.|
|Loss||15–10||Wilson Reis||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC 179||October 25, 2014||1||3:28||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Catchweight (128 lbs) bout; Jorgensen missed weight.|
|Win||15–9||Danny Martinez||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Khabilov||June 7, 2014||3||5:00||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||14–9||Jussier Formiga||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs. Henderson 2||March 23, 2014||1||3:07||Natal, Brazil|
|Loss||14–8||Zach Makovsky||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Johnson vs. Benavidez 2||December 14, 2013||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States||Flyweight debut.|
|Loss||14–7||Urijah Faber||Submission (rear-naked choke)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen Finale||April 13, 2013||4||3:16||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||14–6||John Albert||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz||December 8, 2012||1||4:59||Seattle, Washington, United States||Submission of the Night. Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||13–6||Eddie Wineland||KO (punches)||UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall||June 8, 2012||2||4:10||Sunrise, Florida, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||13–5||Renan Barão||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 143||February 4, 2012||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||13–4||Jeff Curran||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 137||October 29, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–4||Ken Stone||KO (punches)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Lesnar vs. Team dos Santos Finale||June 4, 2011||1||4:01||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–4||Dominick Cruz||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 53||December 16, 2010||5||5:00||Glendale, Arizona, United States||For the WEC Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||11–3||Brad Pickett||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 50||August 18, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night|
|Win||10–3||Antonio Banuelos||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 48||April 24, 2010||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||9–3||Chad George||Submission (standing guillotine choke)||WEC 47||March 6, 2010||1||0:31||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Win||8–3||Takeya Mizugaki||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 45||December 19, 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||7–3||Noah Thomas||TKO (punches and elbows)||WEC 43||October 10, 2009||1||3:13||San Antonio, Texas, United States|
|Loss||6–3||Antonio Banuelos||Decision (split)||WEC 41||June 7, 2009||3||5:00||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||6–2||Frank Gomez||Submission (guillotine choke)||WEC 38||January 25, 2009||1||1:09||San Diego, California, United States|
|Win||5–2||Kenji Osawa||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 35||August 3, 2008||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||4–2||Damacio Page||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 32||February 13, 2008||3||5:00||Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States|
|Win||4–1||Chris David||Decision (unanimous)||ShoXC: Elite Challenger Series||July 27, 2007||3||5:00||Santa Ynez, California, United States|
|Win||3–1||Tyler Toner||Decision (unanimous)||ROF 29: Aftershock||April 28, 2007||3||5:00||Boulder, Colorado, United States|
|Loss||2–1||Joe Jesser||Submission (armbar)||ROF 26: Relentless||September 9, 2006||1||1:08||Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States|
|Win||2–0||Louie Lagunsad||Submission (heel hook)||ROF 25: Overdrive||July 29, 2006||1||1:43||Boulder, Colorado, United States|
|Win||1–0||Mike Morris||Submission (armbar)||Alaska Fighting Championship 24||June 15, 2006||1||1:31||Juneau, Alaska, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Mir vs. Duffee". UFC.com. Retrieved July 15, 2015.
- Dan Kuhl (April 8, 2013). "Fight of the Week: The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale - Urijah Faber vs. Scott Jorgensen". The MMA Corner.
- Mark Palmer (December 6, 2011). "Jorgensen on quest for UFC bantamweight title". InterMat Wrestling.
- UFC Rankings
- "Fight Path: Ex-Pac 10 champ Scott Jorgensen uses MMA to feed need for competition". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-12-10.
- WEC GM Talks Best Fights of ’09
- "WEC 43: Cerrone vs. Henderson on October 10 in San Antonio, Texas". MMAFrenzy.com. 2009-01-02. Retrieved 2009-08-29.
- "Scott Jorgensen vs. Takeya Mizugaki added to "WEC 45: Cerrone vs. Ratcliff"". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-10-30.
- "WEC 45 bonuses: Cerrone, Ratcliff, Jorgensen, Mizugaki share "Fight of the Night"". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-12-20.
- "Scott Jorgensen vs. Chad George Announced for WEC 47". mmafrenzy.com. Retrieved 2010-01-25.
- "Jorgensen replaces injured Page, gets Banuelos rematch on WEC 48 PPV main card". mmajunkie.com. 2010-03-17.
- "Scott Jorgensen To Face Brad Pickett At "WEC: Cruz vs. Benavidez"". mmaspot.net. 2010-06-21.
- "WEC 53 title doubleheader features Henderson vs. Pettis, Cruz vs. Jorgensen". mmajunkie.com. 2010-09-27.
- "WEC 53: Dominick Cruz, Scott Jorgensen Fight To Be First UFC Bantamweight Champion". sbnation.com. December 14, 2010.
- "UFC and WEC set to merge in 2011; events to air on Versus and Spike TV". mmajunkie.com. October 28, 2010.
- "Scott Jorgensen Faces Ken Stone At TUF 13 Finale". heavy.com. February 14, 2011.
- Leland Roling (2011-06-04). "UUFC Results TUF 13 Finale: Scott Jorgensen Knocks Out Ken Stone". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
- "Scott Jorgensen Welcomes Jeff Curran Back to the Octagon at UFC 137". MMAWeekly.com. July 26, 2011.
- Matthew Roth (2013-10-29). "UFC 137 Results: Scott Jorgensen wins decision Over Jeff Curran". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2011-10-29.
- "Renan Barao vs Scott Jorgensen in the works for Feb. 4 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- Staff (2012-02-04). "UFC 143 Results: Renan Barao Out-Strikes Scott Jorgensen". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2012-02-04.
- "Scott Jorgensen vs. Eddie Wineland added to UFC on FX 3". mmajunkie.com. March 23, 2012.
- Tim Burke (2012-06-08). "UFC On FX 3 Results: Eddie Wineland knocks out Scott Jorgensen". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2012-06-08). "UFC on FX 3 Bonuses: Eddie Wineland vs. Scott Jorgensen Seize 'Fight of the Night'". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- Morgan, John & Erickson, Matt (August 30, 2012). "Scott Jorgensen vs. John Albert slated for UFC on FOX 5". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved August 30, 2012.
- Matt Erickson (2012-12-08). "UFC on FOX 5 results: Scott Jorgensen submits John Albert at the buzzer". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- Staff (2012-12-08). "UFC on Fox 5 bonuses: Jorgensen nets $130,000, Edwards, Albert get $65,000 each". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- Staff (2013-02-27). "Urijah Faber-Scott Jorgensen is The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale's new headliner". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Mike Chiapetta (2013-04-14). "TUF 17 results: Urijah Faber chokes out Scott Jorgensen". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-04-14.
- Staff (2013-09-17). "Scott Jorgensen drops to flyweight, meets Ian McCall at UFC on FOX 9". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- Jason Floyd (2013-10-29). "With Ian McCall injured, Scott Jorgensen now meets John Dodson at UFC on FOX 9". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2013-10-29.
- Chris Hall (2013-12-03). "John Dodson out of UFC on Fox 9 fight against Scott Jorgensen due to knee injury". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2013-12-03.
- Ken Pishna (2013-12-04). "RFA Flyweight Champion Zach Makovsky Tapped to Face Scott Jorgensen at UFC on Fox 9". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2013-12-04.
- Tommy Hackett (2013-12-14). "UFC on Fox 9 Results: Zach Makovsky edges Scott Jorgensen in UFC debut". cagedinsider.com. Retrieved 2013-12-14.
- Guilherme Cruz. "Scott Jorgensen vs. Jussier Formiga added to UFC fight card in Brazil". MMAFighting.com. Retrieved 2014-01-15.
- Elias Cepeda. "Scott Jorgensen wants rematch after headbutt, loss". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- Mookie Alexander. "Scott Jorgensen's appeal to overturn loss to Jussier Formiga denied by Brazilian Athletic Commission". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2014-04-05.
- Staff (2014-04-23). "Scott Jorgensen vs. Danny Martinez added to UFC Fight Night 42". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-23.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-06-07). "UFC Fight Night 42 results, photos: Scott Jorgensen hangs on to beat Danny Martinez". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- Staff (2014-06-08). "UFC Fight Night 42 bonuses: Henderson, Hallmann among award winners". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-06-08.
- Staff (2014-07-24). "Henry Cejudo Signs With the UFC, Will Meet Scott Jorgensen at UFC 177". cagepotato.com. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- MMAJunkie Staff (2014-08-29). "Medical issue forces Henry Cejudo out of UFC 177 fight with Scott Jorgensen". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-08-29.
- John Morgan and Dann Stupp (2014-08-31). "Birchak and Jorgensen will get UFC 177 payouts; Cejudo and Barao won't be paid". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-08-31.
- Tristen Critchfield (2014-09-02). "Flyweights Scott Jorgensen, Wilson Reis to clash at UFC 179 in Brazil". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-09-02.
- Staff (2014-10-24). "UFC 179 weigh-in results: Jose Aldo (145), Chad Mendes (145) on mark". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- Ben Fowlkes (2014-10-25). "UFC 179 results, photos: Wilson Reis blows up, chokes out Scott Jorgensen". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-10-25.
- Staff (2015-04-13). "Scott Jorgensen returns to 135, meets Manny Gamburyan at UFC Fight Night 72". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-13.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-07-15). "UFC Fight Night 71 results: Manny Gamburyan clean sweeps Scott Jorgensen on scorecards". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-15.
- "Fight Path: Ex-Pac 10 champ Scott Jorgensen uses MMA to feed need for competition". mmajunkie.com. 2009-12-10. Retrieved 2010-03-04.