|Member of the Alaska House of Representatives
from the 1st district
January 16, 2007
|Preceded by||Jim Holm|
March 20, 1975 |
|Alma mater||University of Alaska Fairbanks|
|Occupation||senior patient representative|
Scott Jiu Wo Kawasaki (born March 20, 1975) is a healthcare professional and politician from Alaska. A Democrat, he is a member of the Alaska House of Representatives representing the state's first district, which includes neighborhoods within the city limits of Fairbanks.
Scott Kawasaki was born in Tokyo, Japan while his parents Koji and Virginia Kawasaki taught internationally.[clarification needed] The family returned to Fairbanks in 1980, where he has lived ever since. Scott attended public schools throughout Fairbanks; Joy Elementary, University Park Elementary, Tanana Junior High and Lathrop High School. Scott graduated from the University of Alaska Fairbanks with a B.S. in Biomedical Sciences in 2006.
Scott Kawasaki became the youngest member ever to sit on the Fairbanks City Council in 1999 at age 24. He served on the Fairbanks City Council for two consecutive terms from 1999 till 2005.
Kawasaki was elected a state representative in 2006, defeating Republican incumbent Jim Holm by 2617 votes (55 percent) to 2118 (45 percent). He had previously run in 2004, losing to Jim Holm by 52 votes.
During the 25th Legislature, Kawasaki served on House Resource Committee, House Special Committee on Oil & Gas and House Committee on Military & Veteran Affairs.
Kawasaki was reelected in 2008 defeating Republican challenger Sue Hull. During the 26th Legislature Representative Kawasaki served on House Resource Committee, House Special Committee on Fisheries and House Committee on Military & Veteran Affairs. He was also the youngest member of the legislature at this time.
Kawasaki defeated Republican nominee Joseph Michel in the 2010 election.
- Alaska Legislative Affairs Agency (January 2010). Directory 26th Alaska Legislature 2009–2010 (Second Session ed.). Juneau: Alaska Legislative Council. p. 12.
- Forgey, Pat (December 6, 2012). "Election, redistricting diminishes Natives' power in Alaska Legislature". Anchorage Daily News. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- Pinsker, Adam (February 26, 2014). "Rep. Kito III Sworn into Office". KTUU. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- Media related to Scott Kawasaki at Wikimedia Commons
- Alaska State Legislature – Representative Scott Kawasaki official government website
- Project Vote Smart – Representative Scott J. Kawasaki (AK) profile
- Follow the Money – Scott Kawasaki
- Alaska's Democratic Caucus – Scott Kawasaki profile
- Scott Kawasaki at 100 Years of Alaska's Legislature
|Youngest member of the Alaska House of Representatives