This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Scott Alan Mendes
1997 PRCA World Champion Bull Rider
|Born||July 4, 1969|
|Occupation||Professional Bull Rider|
Early life and career
Mendes was born in Visalia, California in 1969, but later moved to Turlock. He started riding bulls at the age of five during a family ranch branding session. Scott’s grandfather, Frank Mendes, was a charter member of the predecessor Cowboys Turtles Association, where he competed at Boston Garden and Madison Square Garden in New York City. His father, Alan Mendes rode bulls, but mostly stayed close to home and never really ventured too far from the family ranch. Scott was surrounded by athletic talent within his family. His older brother Mike played football and younger brother Tony Mendes also rode bulls. Tony qualified for both the Wrangler National Finals Rodeo and the PBR World Finals. Scott also qualified for the PBR Finals alongside Tony in 2001, the only year both brothers ever qualified together.
Mendes moved to Nevada with his father after his parents' divorce. Mendes won Nevada State High School bull riding titles in 1985 and 1986. He also qualified for the High School National Finals. In 1988 he finished 2nd to David Berry from Oklahoma for the PRCA bull riding rookie after only having his card for two months. Mendes' breakout season came in 1991 when he won the short round and first place in the average at Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo on the 1992 PRCA Bucking Bull of the year, "Rocky", owned by Dan Russell. During his career he qualified for the Bull Riders Only finals and the PBR finals twice. Mendes reached the pinnacle and milestone of his bull riding career in 1997 when he won more money than any other bull rider and was crowned the World Champion. Scott Mendes got on his last bull at an Extreme Bull Riding event in Oklahoma City in 2005.
Soon after the death of his fellow bull rider and good friend, Brent Thurman (who died from injuries suffered at the 1994 WNFR), Mendes became a "born again" Christian. He responded by wanting to spread the word amongst many of his fellow rodeo cowboys. He and his wife, Angel, are founders, owners and operate Western Harvest Ministries. The national headquarters is an outreach ranch located in Weatherford, Texas. It serves as the foundation for a Christian bull riding league and training camp.
Mendes met his wife Angel during his rise to fame riding bulls. He has two sons, Kaden and Kolten, and a daughter Jorden. His children also exhibit various rodeo talents.
Philosophical and/or political views
Mendes is the Pastor of Western Harvest Ministries, and founder of several Christian organizations building cowboy character for youth. He also travels throughout the country ministering in several churches, and is a corporate motivational speaker. He has made several television appearances on worldwide Christian stations, such as Trinity Broadcasting Network.
Mendes is a producer of several Christian films, and is the chair for the Fort Worth Christian Media Association. Mendes has also been in several Christian and western films, some of which he helped produce. Mendes is a partner/co-owner in Wings of Eagles Studios, a media group that is restoring "The Code of the West" and American family values to films and media. Their first movie Gold Score is a story about a Texas family, bull riding, and broken dreams. It was written by award-winning country western songwriter Terrance Alan and screenwriter Phil Merna, who is a Montana cowboy and former bull rider.
- PRCA World Champion Bull Rider (1997)
- PRCA NFR Average Winner (1997)
- PRCA Reserve World Champion (1994)
- NFR Qualifier (1991, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1997)
- PBR Finals Qualifier (1994, 2001)
- Wrangler World of Rodeo Champion (1994, 1996)
- Wilderness Circuit Finalist (1988, 1989, 1990)
- Texas Circuit Finalist (1991, 1995, 1996)
- Nevada State Champion Bull Rider (1985, 1986)
- National High School Rodeo Finals (1984, 1985, 1986)
- Christ Games (June 21, 2015). Rodeo Judge. Android, iOS. Rodeo Judge LLC. Level/area: N/A.
The original rodeo card game
- Written by Bo Bullock and Otto Thorwarth, Starring Scott Mendes and Scott McClard (2015). Cowboys & Jesus (Movie). Texas: Jireh Productions and Faith Builders of Men.
- Webmaster, Word of Rodeo, ProRodeo Bull Riding World Champions 1929-2009, retrieved 7 August 2015
- Ehringer, Gavin (1997), Rodeo in 1997, Encyclopædia Britannica
- Webmaster, Tahoe Quarterly, The Top 25 Athletes in Tahoe / Reno History, retrieved January 2012 Check date values in: