Scott Newman (politician)
|Member of the Minnesota Senate
from the 18th district
January 4, 2011
|Preceded by||Steve Dille|
|Member of the Minnesota House of Representatives
from the 18A district
January 8, 2004 – January 2, 2007
|Preceded by||Tony Kielkucki|
|Succeeded by||Ron Shimanski|
January 14, 1947 |
|Alma mater||Minnesota State University, Mankato
William Mitchell College of Law
Scott J. Newman (born January 14, 1947) is a Minnesota attorney and a Republican member of the Minnesota Senate. He represents Senate District 18, which includes portions of McLeod, Meeker, Sibley and Wright counties just west of the Twin Cities metropolitan area. He is a former member of the Minnesota House of Representatives and was the Republican nominee for attorney general in the 2014 election.
Early life, education, and career
Newman graduated from Minnesota State University, Mankato in Mankato, receiving his B.A. in history and political science. He later earned his J.D. from William Mitchell College of Law in Saint Paul.
Minnesota House of Representatives
Newman served in the Minnesota House of Representatives from 2004 to 2007, running in a 2003 special election after Rep. Tony Kielkucki resigned to accept an appointment as a deputy secretary of state. While in the House, he served on the Education Finance, the Education Policy, the Governmental Operations and Veterans Affairs Policy, the State Government Finance, the Ethics, the Public Safety Policy and Finance, and the Transportation committees.
Newman was first elected to the Senate in 2010, running after longtime incumbent Senator Steve Dille announced he would not seek re-election. Newman was re-elected in 2012 and 2016. He currently serves as chairman of the Senate Transportation Finance and Policy Committee.
- "State Sen. Scott Newman to run for attorney general". Twin Cities. 2014-05-28. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Legislator Record - Newman, Scott J". Minnesota Legislators Past & Present. Retrieved 2012-12-04.
- "Newman, Scott J. - Legislator Record - Minnesota Legislators Past & Present". www.leg.state.mn.us. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- Scott Newman at Minnesota Legislators Past & Present
- Senator Scott Newman official Minnesota Senate website
- Project Vote Smart - Senator Scott Newman Profile
|Senator from the 18th district
|Minnesota House of Representatives|
|Member of the House of Representatives
from the 18A district