Scott Raab was born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1952. The Raab family relocated to Los Angeles in 1960, but after his parents divorced in 1962, he returned to Cleveland with his mother and two younger brothers. Raab graduated from Cleveland State in 1983 with a bachelor's degree, and in 1986 received his Master of Fine Arts in fiction from the Iowa Writers' Workshop.
Raab was a writer for GQ Magazine from 1992 until 1997, and was a regular contributor to Esquire from 1997 until 2016. Much of his work at Esquire was one-on-one interviews with various celebrities (e.g. Phil Spector, Paul Giamatti, Don Zimmer). The style of his non-interview writing is typically informal in nature, mainly in the voice of a storyteller.
Raab is a self-professed "fat Jew from Cleveland, a great deli town" who has mentioned on several occasions his anti-haute cuisine disposition. Although not a food writer by trade, he has written frequently about the Cleveland food scene, and may be the biggest pundit of Slyman's Deli's award-winning corned-beef sandwich, which he has mentioned in more than one article appearing in Esquire.
An avid fan of the Cleveland Indians, Raab has a tattoo of Chief Wahoo on his forearm, which he had done in a Dallas tattoo parlor during a 1994 interview with NBA player Dennis Rodman. He has since advocated for the logo to be retired.
- Real Hollywood stories: inside the minds of 20 celebrities, with one A-list writer. 2008.
- The Whore of Akron: one man's search for the soul of LeBron James. 2011.
- "[Interview with] Nick Tosches". Man at His Best. Esquire. 159 (1): 15–18. January 2013.
- "Sean Penn". What I've Learned. The Warrior. Esquire. 159 (1): 62–66. January 2013.
- You're Welcome, Cleveland: How I Helped Lebron James Win a Championship and Save a City (2016)
- "POLITICO Playbook: Trump leans in on trade, invites Republicans to W.H. - POLITICO". Politico. 21 March 2019. Archived from the original on 2019-04-25. Retrieved 2022-01-10.
- "Me ... And Sandy the Bull - Esquire". Archived from the original on June 5, 2011. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- "About". www.scottraab.com. Archived from the original on 2019-04-11. Retrieved 2022-01-10.
- "Good Luck". Scott Raab. 25 April 2016. Archived from the original on 2019-04-11. Retrieved 2022-01-10.
- Brian Abrams July 13, 2009 Archives 6 (2009-07-13). "Look at This Fucking Journalist: Esquire's Scott Raab – Heeb". Heebmagazine.com. Archived from the original on 2018-04-09. Retrieved 2022-01-10.
- "Eating Cleveland - Esquire". Archived from the original on 2011-06-11. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "About Scott Raab". Archived from the original on 2011-04-15. Retrieved 2011-04-07.
- "Nonfiction Writer Scott Raab to Discuss His Work Monday". Archived from the original on 2011-06-10. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- "Why I Have a Racist Caricature on My Arm". 18 October 2007. Archived from the original on 10 February 2011. Retrieved 7 April 2011.
- "The Full Giamatti". 14 November 2007. Archived from the original on 13 April 2010. Retrieved 2 July 2010.
- "Scott Raab and the Celebrity Profile". Archived from the original on 2010-07-27. Retrieved 2010-07-02.
- "Ink Stained". Archived from the original on 2016-11-06. Retrieved 2022-01-10.