Scott Schuman in Autumn 2007. Photo by Christopher Peterson.
November 2, 1968
|Occupation||Blogger and Journalist|
Scott Schuman is an American blogger and fashion photographer who created "The Sartorialist." After leaving his position as director of men's fashion at his showroom to take care of his daughter in September 2005, he began carrying a digital camera around and photographing people he saw on the street whose style he found striking. He then posted these to his blog, sometimes with short comments, always either favorable or open-minded. He is well known for photographing what have been described as 'real people.'
"The Sartorialist" quickly became a regular read for fashionistas, both on the street and in the upper echelons of the industry. Schuman began his site with the hopes of connecting fashion and everyday street life. He was hired to do similar coverage for Condé Nast's style.com (since been replaced by Tommy Ton of the blog Jak and Jil). He has covered shows during New York's Fashion Week for Saks Fifth Avenue. In 2007, he was named one of AskMen.com's Top 49 Men of the year. In 2008, Schuman appeared as a model in Gap's fall campaign. Schuman contributed portraits to Burberry's "Art of the Trench" marketing campaign.
Schuman has been featured in GQ Magazine where he was given his own page in every issue for nearly four years, as well as work appearing in Vogue Italia, Vogue Paris and Interview Magazine. Schuman has also been commissioned to work on advertisements for various companies such as Gant by Michael Bastian, DKNY Jeans and Nespresso. An anthology of his images were published in 2009 by Penguin and since then has sold over 100,000 copies and has been translated to Korean. Schuman also has work residing in multiple museums from England to Tokyo.
A native of Indiana, Schuman once worked as a sales associate at the 1980s chain Chess King. Later he attended Indiana University, graduating with a degree in apparel merchandising and a minor in costume construction. Scott Schuman dated the prominent French street-fashion photographer and illustrator Garance Doré from 2008 to 2014.
- Fashion week: The ordinary people who stole the show, BBC News 9th Sept 2011
- Newsweek Blurb on Scott Archived March 2, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Style.com Replaces Schuman With Ton, Fashion Copious 18th Sept 2009
- AskMen.com "The most powerful man in fashion -- without being a designer, model or formally trained photographer -- Scott Schuman " #35
- Scott Schuman (a.k.a. The Sartorialist) does Gap autumn/winter 2008-9
- Burberry Trenchcoat website. Retrieved 9 March 2011
- Meet fashion's latest (and coolest) power couple, The Guardian 27th Sept 2009
- Stromberg, Anne Scott Schuman: The new Fashion Photographer The Swedish School of Textiles
- Williams, Alex. "Up Close: New York Fashion Week". The New York Times. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- The Sartorialist blog Schuman's fashion blog