Scott Sherman (politician)
|Member of the|
San Diego City Council
for the Seventh District
|Assumed office |
|Mayor||Bob Filner |
|Preceded by||Marti Emerald|
|Alma mater||Grossmont Community College|
|Website||City Council District 7 website|
Scott Sherman is a member of the San Diego City Council, representing District 7 in San Diego, California. He took office December 3, 2012 and was re-elected in 2016. He is a Republican, although city council positions are officially nonpartisan per state law.
Sherman grew up in a military family. He has lived in San Diego since he was 5 months old. He attended Patrick Henry High School and Grossmont Community College. He is an insurance agent, with a focus on maritime insurance, and is an avid boater and fisherman. He and his wife, the former Norma Mouett, live in the Allied Gardens neighborhood near where he grew up.
San Diego City Council
Sherman ran for the District 7 council seat in the 2012 election after District 7 incumbent Marti Emerald decided to run in the newly created District 9 seat. Sherman was recruited to run by then-councilmember Carl DeMaio. He had not previously been active in politics.
Sherman was part of a coordinated three-person slate supported by the local Republican Party in an attempt to gain a Republican majority on the nine-member council. Sherman and fellow Republican Mark Kersey won their seats, but the third candidate, Ray Ellis, lost to incumbent Sherri Lightner, so that the council retained a 5-4 Democratic majority.
- Audit Committee (Chair)
- Budget Review Committee
- Environment Committee
- Land Use an Housing Committee
Source: Office of the City Clerk
|San Diego City Council District 7 election, 2016|
|San Diego City Council District 7 election, 2012|
|Nonpartisan||Nathan E. Johnson||1,212||3.90|
- "Communities - City of San Diego Official Website".
- "Scott Sherman". BD Outdoors. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "About Scott Sherman". Campaign website. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- Carless, Will (April 17, 2012). "Not 'DeMaio's Guy': A Reader's Guide to Scott Sherman". Voice of San Diego. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "Who is Scott Sherman? (Part I)". San Diego Politico. May 1, 2012. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "Presidential Primary Election, June 5, 2012" (PDF). Registrar of Voters. County of San Diego. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "Sherman Wins Outright In Council District 7". KPBS News. June 6, 2012. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- Gustafson, Craig (November 19, 2011). "Related: News» Republicans seek majority on San Diego council". San Diego Union Tribune. Retrieved 3 December 2012.
- Handy, Shannon (December 12, 2016). "New and re-elected San Diego city leaders take office". Retrieved December 22, 2016.
- "Election History - Council District 7" (PDF). City of San Diego. Retrieved 12 January 2013.