Scott Tracy Griffin
Scott Tracy Griffin is an American writer, actor and "one of the world's leading experts" on author Edgar Rice Burroughs and his works. He is the author of Tarzan: The Centennial Celebration, the "only official commemorative illustrated history" of Burroughs' literary character Tarzan, which book was a 2013 Locus Award finalist for Best Art Book.
Griffin began writing professionally in 1993, covering the film industry for magazines including Cinefantastique, FilmFax, and Alter Ego. He scripted the Tarzan Sunday comic strip in 1996 and has consulted on and appeared in documentaries and news programs, including Investigating Tarzan and Tarzan: Silver Screen King of the Jungle to discuss Edgar Rice Burroughs and Tarzan.
Tarzan: The Centennial Celebration
Burroughs biographer and retired Pasadena City College professor Robert Zeuschner said of the book that "Until now, there has never been a single source which could be used to examine the original pulp magazine art, the dust jacket covers for the early printings, the comic book covers and interior art, and the huge number of Tarzan movies made after the silent era."
Griffin was born in Starkville, Mississippi, the son of Jesse E. Griffin, an optometrist, and Sarah D. Griffin, who worked as "a homemaker and later for Alexander's Home Health." As a child, he told an interviewer for List Film, he was an "animal lover" who was "captivated by the notion of interacting with apes, elephants and other exotic species." He became fascinated with Tarzan at age 9 when he saw an image of the character on the side of a lunchbox.
Griffin graduated from Starkville Academy and received a bachelor of science degree in sociology from Millsaps College in Jackson, Mississippi. He moved to California around 1988 to become an actor and a writer. He lives in Santa Monica, California.
- O'Bryan, Susan (April 2013). "Literature". Town & Gown Magazine. 2 (6): 69. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- "Locus Award Winners," Locus online, June 29, 2013
- "Tarzan: The Centennial Celebration, by Scott Tracy Griffin". Starkville Daily News. November 21, 2012.
- Michael Aushenker, "Welcome to the Jungle," Argonaut online, January 22, 2014
- Brenton Garen, "Santa Monica Author Celebrates Tarzan in New Commemorative Book" Santa Monica Mirror, November 29, 2012
- Susan King, "Hollywood Books: 'Tarzan The Centennial Celebration' Is Wild for Him," Los Angeles Times,; November 28, 2012
- Henry Northmore, "Interview: – Scott Tracy Griffin – Tarzan: The Centennial Celebration," List.co.uk, October 19, 2012
- Griffin website
- "Tarzan Centennial," blog by Griffin in the Huffington Post, November 21, 2012
- "SDCC: What's New With Tarzan, John Carter & Edgar Rice Burroughs," Comic Book Resources, August 16, 2014 (Griffin as panel moderator)
- “Glossary of Caspakian Words,” prepared by Griffin for The Land That Time Forgot, by Edgar Rice Burroughs, 1999