|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
October 4, 1954 |
New York City, U.S.
|Occupation||Writer, music critic|
Yanow, who has written regularly about jazz since 1975, was the jazz editor for Record Review. He has written for many jazz and arts magazines, including JazzTimes, Jazziz, Down Beat, Cadence, CODA and the Los Angeles Jazz Scene. In recent times,[when?] Yanow was interviewed on-camera by CNN about the Monterey Jazz Festival and by Arts & Entertainment for their televised American Masters biography on Dizzy Gillespie. He has authored 11 books on jazz, over 800 liner notes for CDs and over 20,000 reviews of jazz recordings.
Yanow was a contributor to and co-editor of the third edition of the All Music Guide to Jazz. He continues to write for Downbeat, Jazziz, the Los Angeles Jazz Scene, the Jazz Rag and Jazz Inside.
Yanow has produced a series of CDs for the Allegro record label. He also hosted a regular radio show (Jazz After Hours) for KCSN-FM, and worked as the jazz listings editor for the Los Angeles Times.
- Duke Ellington (November 1999) ISBN 1-56799-855-0
- Swing (April 2000) ISBN 978-0-87930-600-7
- Bebop (August 2000) ISBN 978-0-87930-608-3
- Afro-Cuban Jazz (December 2000) ISBN 978-0-87930-619-9
- Trumpet Kings: The Players Who Shaped the Sound of Jazz Trumpet (August 2001) ISBN 978-0-87930-640-3
- Classic Jazz (December 2001) ISBN 978-0-87930-659-5
- Jazz on Film, The Complete History of the Musicians and Music Onscreen (October 2004) ISBN 978-0-87930-783-7
- Jazz on Record – The First Sixty Years (October 2003) ISBN 978-0-87930-755-4
- Jazz: A Regional Exploration (February 28, 2005) ISBN 978-0-31332-871-8
- The Jazz Singers: The Ultimate Guide (September 2008) ISBN 978-0-87930-825-4
- The Great Jazz Guitarists: The Ultimate Guide (April 2013) ISBN 978-1-61713-023-6
Contributions to magazines
- Down Beat
- Jazz Forum
- Jazz Improv
- Jazz News
- Jazz Now
- Jazz Times
- Planet Jazz
- Record Review
- The Los Angeles Jazz Scene
- The Mississippi Rag
- The Jazz Report
Contributions to record labels
- Arbors Records
- Collectors Classics
- Candid Records
- Challenge Records
- Concord Records
- Evidence Music
- Fuel 2000
- Good Time Jazz Records
- Jazzed Media
- Naxos Records
- Pablo Records
- Reservoir Records
- Storyville Records
- Victor Entertainment
- Allmusic Biography
- "Scott Yanow". discogs. discogs.com. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "A conversation with Scott Yanow and all about West Coast Jazz". stitcher.com. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- "SCOTT YANOW". trombone-usa.com. September 15, 2015. Retrieved 24 January 2017.