Scottish Gaelic Wikipedia
Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
|Available in||Scottish Gaelic|
|Scottish Gaelic edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia|
The encyclopedia was founded in 2004. In 2017, Susan Ross was hired by the National Library of Scotland (NLS) to develop and promote the encyclopedia, a part time position that lasted 12 months. The NLS intended to augment its Gaelic resources following a digitization drive that put Gaelic-language materials on the Internet. Ross is a second-language speaker of Gaelic who learned the language as a teenager and completed a doctorate in Gaelic studies. She has been editing Uicipeid since 2010. Working with community groups, she created help pages and worked to attract more editors. The grant was sponsored by Wikimedia UK and Bòrd na Gàidhlig.
- "Library appoints the world's first Gaelic Wikipedian - National Library of Scotland". National Library of Scotland. Archived from the original on 7 December 2018. Retrieved 7 December 2018.
- "NLS appoints world's first Gaelic Wikipedian". The Scotsman. Archived from the original on 7 December 2018. Retrieved 7 December 2018.
- "Skotske bibleteek sil Gaelictalige Wikipedia útwreidzje". It Nijs (in Western Frisian). 31 January 2017. Retrieved 7 December 2018.
- Hannan, Martin (11 October 2016). "Gaelic Wikipedia website Uicipeid to undergo major development as part of link-up". The National. Archived from the original on 7 December 2018. Retrieved 7 December 2018.
- "An Uicipeid - Wikipedia na Gàidhlig". Sabhal Mòr Ostaig. Archived from the original on 7 December 2018. Retrieved 7 December 2018.