Scottish Prison Service
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Executive Agency of the Scottish Government overview|
|Headquarters||Calton House, 5 Redheughs Rigg, Edinburgh EH12 9HW|
|Executive Agency of the Scottish Government executive||
|Part of a series on|
The Scottish Prison Service (SPS) (Scottish Gaelic: Seirbheis nam Prìosan Albannach, Scots: Scots Preeson Sarvice) is an executive agency of the Scottish Government tasked with managing prisons and Young Offender Institutions in Scotland.
The Chief Executive of the Scottish Prison Service, currently Colin McConnell, is responsible for its administration and reports to the Cabinet Secretary for Justice, who is responsible for the Scottish Prison Service within the Scottish Government.
There are fifteen prison establishments in Scotland, two of which are privately managed. The SPS employs over 4,000 staff, with its headquarters in Calton House, located in South Gyle, Edinburgh.
The current Chief Executive is Colin McConnell and supporting him is the SPS Board consisting of:
- Catherine Topley - Director of Corporate Services
- Eric Murch - Director of Operations
- Teresa Medhurst - Interim Director of Strategy & Innovation
- Michael Stoney - Interim Director of Operations
- Fraser Munro - Interim Director of Operational Delivery
List of establishments
- HMP Addiewell
- HMP Barlinnie
- HMP Castle Huntly (Open prison)
- HMP & YOI Cornton Vale (Young Offenders Institution and Women's Prison)
- HMP Dumfries
- HMP Edinburgh
- HMP Glenochil
- HMP Grampian
- HMP Greenock
- HMP Inverness
- HMP Kilmarnock (Operated by Serco as part of a public-private partnership scheme)
- HMP Low Moss
- HMP Perth
- HMYOI Polmont (Young Offenders Institution)
- HMP Shotts
HMP Addiewell and HMP Kilmarnock are both privately managed under contract to the SPS.
In November 2003 SPS signed a contract on behalf of Scottish Ministers for a "Prisoner Escort and Court Custody Service". This contract with Reliance Custodial Services provides for all prisoner escorting between police cells, court, prisons and hospitals as well as covering escorts from prison such as funerals, hospital appointments and community placements. In 2012, SPS contracted this service out to G4S.
- Her Majesty's Chief Inspector of Prisons for Scotland
- Her Majesty's Prison Service
- List of United Kingdom prisons
- Northern Ireland Prison Service
- Prison categories in the United Kingdom
- Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service
- United Kingdom prison population
- Young offender