Scottish Rite Cathedral (Pasadena, California)
|Scottish Rite Cathedral|
|Architectural style||Moderne, Zig Zag Moderne|
|Location||150 N. Madison Ave., Pasadena, California|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Blick,Joseph J.; Crowell,W.C.|
Architecturally significant in greater Los Angeles as a pre-PWA Classical Moderne building with distinctive decorative guardian sphinxes, the Scottish Rite Cathedral is associated strongly with the social history of Pasadena, in particular with the Scottish Rite, an appendant body associated with Freemasonry.
In 1984, the building was deemed eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places based on its importance and documentation thereof, but the building was not finally listed (NRIS reference number 84003894, decision date October 3, 1984). The listing was cancelled due to owner objection, which under terms of the National Register program, vetoes the listing.
The building was built in 1925. It cost approximately $300,000, was described as magnificently furnished and was dedicated at a ceremony on February 18, 1925 attended by approximately 1700 high-degree masons and their families.
- David Gebhard and Robert Winter (2003). An Architectural Guidebook to Los Angeles. Gibbs Smith. p. 422. ISBN 978-1-58685-308-2.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- Jill Alison Ganon and Sandy Gillis (2007). At Home Pasadena. Prospect Park Books. p. 19. ISBN 978-0-9753939-3-2.
- "History". Pasadena Scottish Rite.
- "CATHEDRAL TO BE DEDICATED: Services Will be Conducted in Pasadena Tomorrow New Scottish Rite Building Beautiful Edifice National Officers Are Here for Ceremonies". Los Angeles Times. 1925-02-16. p. 10. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- "TO DEDICATE CATHEDRAL: Everything in Readiness for Scottish Rite Ceremony at Pasadena This Evening". Los Angeles Times. 1925-02-17. pp. A10. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- "SCOTTISH RITE HAS DEDICATION: Elaborate Ceremonies Take Place at Cathedral Several Hundred Masons of High Degree Present Further Programs Planned at Crown City Edifice". Los Angeles Times. 1925-02-01. p. 3. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- "a Scottish Rite directory".
- "The Pasadena Scottish Rite's website".