Scottish Socialist Voice
Issue 437 of the Scottish Socialist Voice
|Owner(s)||Scottish Socialist Party|
|Headquarters||Suite 308/310, 4th Floor, Central Chambers,
93 Hope St,
Established in November 1996, the Voice was previously the paper of Scottish Militant Labour, before being handed over to the Scottish Socialist Party on its formation in 1998. Alan McCombes, the paper's founder, continued to act as editor until 2003. For a short time it was edited by Kath Kyle, followed by Joanna Harvie, and it is currently edited by Ken Ferguson.
It was originally launched as a fortnightly publication, and moved to a weekly format in May 2001 at great financial cost, before returning to fortnightly production in 2007. In 2009, it changed from a broadsheet to a tabloid format.
The paper's current readership is estimated at 3,000, with distribution through subscription and street sales.
The aims of the Voice are:
- To report the struggles of ordinary people against injustice, discrimination and exploitation.
- To expose corruption and hypocrisy in high places.
- To cover politics, culture and sport from a socialist standpoint.
- To champion the cause of an independent socialist Scotland as part of a worldwide fightback against global capitalism.
In December 2004, the Voice celebrated its 200th issue. In November 2006, it celebrated its tenth anniversary.
In December 2013, figures from the pro-independence left were invited to a discussion forum in Edinburgh facilitated by the Voice. The forum, which was convened to discuss Scotland's Future, was chaired by John Finnie and featured Jim Sillars, John McAllion, Isobel Lindsay, Prof Mike Danson, Maggie Chapman, and Colin Fox on its panel.
- "Warrant sales". 8 March 2000. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "The SSP and the fight for a Better Left in Scotland". 26 May 2013. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "SSP in race to replace Tommy Sheridan". 19 January 2005. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Cameron's top spin doctor may be called as witness at Sheridan trial". 14 October 2010. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "SCOTLAND: Socialist Voice celebrates 200th issue". 15 December 2004. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Sheridan resigns as leader of the Scottish Socialists". 11 November 2004. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Scottish left talks independence in Edinburgh". The Targe. 8 December 2013. Retrieved 8 December 2013.