List of independent schools in Scotland
The following is a partial list of currently operating independent schools in Scotland. They are referred to as "private schools" in Scotland, common with most of the English-speaking world. The term "public school", used in England to refer to these independently operating schools, is not used in Scotland.
Many of the schools are perceived to be heavily influenced by the culture, practices and ethos of English private, or "public", schools. Author James Robertson described Glenalmond College as "a Scottish boarding school modelled on the English public school system". The perceived English influence in many of these schools was such that in 1887 one author referred to them as "English schools".
There are 102 independent schools across Scotland of which 70 are members of the Scottish Council of Independent Schools (SCIS). According to the SCIS, its members educate around 30-32,000 pupils in Scotland representing around "4.3% of the school age population in Scotland". The figure is significantly higher in Edinburgh, with around 1 in 4 pupils educated at an independent school, the highest proportion in the UK.
Scottish students from independent schools are over-represented at the four ancient universities of Scotland. They represented 26% of the student body at the four institutions in 2014/15 with 71% in total receiving an offer of admission at one of the four ancient universities compared to only 29% of state-school entrants.
List of schools
- Basil Paterson School& Tutorial College
- Cargilfield Preparatory School
- Clifton Hall School
- Dunedin School
- The Edinburgh Academy
- Edinburgh Montessori Arts School
- Erskine Stewart's Melville Schools
- Fettes College
- George Heriot's School
- George Watson's College
- Harmeny School
- Mannafields Christian School
- Merchiston Castle School
- Regius Christian School
- The Royal Blind School
- Rudolf Steiner School of Edinburgh
- St. George's School for Girls
- St. Mary's Music School
- Belmont House School, Newton Mearns
- Craigholme School, Pollokshields
- Fernhill School, Rutherglen
- Glasgow Steiner School, Yorkhill
- Hutchesons' Grammar School, Pollokshields
- Kelvinside Academy, Kelvinside
- The Glasgow Academy, Kelvinbridge
- The High School of Glasgow, Anniesland
- St. Aloysius' College Garnethill
- Daldorch House School, Catrine
- Geilsland School, Beith
- St. Mary's School, Melrose
- Wellington School, Ayr
The Schools below are ranked in fees.
The schools are ranked here by day school pupil fees for 2015/16 and boarding fees are given where applicable. For 2015/16, the average day fee was £10,773 and the average boarding fee was £27,936. Membership of the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference (HMC) is indicated, as well as the curriculum followed by the school: English (i.e. GCSEs, A-levels), Scottish (i.e. Standard Grades/Intermediates, Highers, Advanced Highers), Mixed English and Scottish, or International Baccalaureate (IB).
|School||Day fees||Boarder fees||Curriculum||HMC|
|3||Merchiston Castle School||£21,945||£29,700||English||Yes|
|9||St. Leonards School, St Andrews||£12,693||£30,957||IB||No|
|10||St. George's School, Edinburgh||£12,645||£26,430||English/Scottish||Yes|
|11||Robert Gordon's College, Aberdeen||£12,075||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|12||Morrison's Academy, Crieff||£11,940||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|13||St. Margaret's School for Girls, Aberdeen||£11,762||n/a||Scottish||No|
|16||The High School of Dundee||£11,598||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|17||The Glasgow Academy||£11,584||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|19||Albyn School, Aberdeen||£11,520||n/a||Scottish||No|
|20||The High School of Glasgow||£11,493||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|21||Belmont House School||£11,316||n/a||Scottish||No|
|23||Hutcheson's Grammar School, Glasgow||£11,082||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|24||Beaconhurst School, Bridge of Allan||£11,032||n/a||Scottish||No|
|25||George Watson's College, Edinburgh||£10,983||n/a||Scottish/IB||Yes|
|26||St. Columba's, Kilmacolm||£10,920||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|27||St. Aloysius' College, Glasgow||£10,908||n/a||Scottish||Yes|
|28||Clifton Hall School, Edinburgh||£10,890||n/a||Scottish||No|
|29||Craigholme School, Glasgow||£10,800||n/a||Scottish||No|
|30||Mary Erskine School, Edinburgh||£10,548||£21,162||Scottish||Yes|
|Stewart's Melville College, Edinburgh|
|31||Basil Paterson School ||£10,296||n/a||English||No|
|32||Fernhill School, Glasgow||£10,050||n/a||Scottish||No|
The following table ranks the schools by performance in the 2008 round of Scottish Qualifications Authority examinations according to the percentage of A/B grades achieved at Higher level according to The Times newspaper. The percentage of 1 grades at Standard Grade and A grades at Intermediate 2 are also provided. As indicated above, some independent schools in Scotland follow the English curriculum or offer the International Baccalaureate.
|School||A/B Highers (%)||1/A SG/Int2 (%)||HMC|
|2||St Mary's Music School||77.6||73||No|
|3||George Heriot's School||76.7||69.2||Yes|
|4||The High School of Glasgow||75.7||78.4||Yes|
|6||Mary Erskine School||74.1||70.7||Yes|
|7||Hutchesons' Grammar School||73.6||71.8||Yes|
|8||St Margaret's School for Girls, Aberdeen||73.2||65||No|
|11||The High School of Dundee||72.6||65.9||Yes|
Higher and Standard Grade/Intermediate 2 Results
Here, schools following the Scottish exam curriculum are ranked according to the percentage of Highers achieved in 2009 at A/B, as recorded in The Times.
|School||A/B Higher (%)||1/A Standard Grade/Int 2 (%)|
|1||George Heriot's School||79.7||71.3|
|2||St George's School for Girls||77.9||62.6|
|4||Hutchesons' Grammar School||76.1||73.7|
|5||St Columba's School||76.1||72.2|
|6||The High School of Glasgow||75.7||80.4|
|8||The Glasgow Academy||73.6||66.2|
|9||Stewart's Melville College||73.3||68.9|
|10||The Mary Erskine School||73.1||75.2|
|11||High School of Dundee||72.6||73.3|
|12||St Margaret's School for Girls, Aberdeen||71.7||62.8|
|13||St Aloysius' College||71.2||65.5|
|14||George Watson's College||70.9||68.1|
|18||Robert Gordon's College||68||65.9|
|24||St Margaret's School, Edinburgh||61.2||29.8|
|25||The Edinburgh Rudolf Steiner School||60.5||40|
|27||Belmont House School||46.2||23.1|
|28||Queen Victoria School||37.1||41.4|
|School||A/A* A-level (%)||A/A* GCSE (%)||HMC|
|1||George Watson's College||55.4||(No data)||Yes|
|2||The Edinburgh Academy||46.1||40.6||Yes|
|4||St Leonards School||43.2||41.2||No|
|5||Merchiston Castle School||38.6||69.3||Yes|
|7||St George's School for Girls||34.8||48.9||Yes|
- List of schools in Scotland
- Education in Scotland
- List of UK Independent Schools
- List of the oldest schools in the United Kingdom
- Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Education
- The website UK Schools & Colleges Database lists currently operating state (and some independent) schools by Local Education Authority and also links to websites of individual schools where available.
- Scottish Schools Online Contact information and attainment data for independent Scottish schools.
- James Campbell, A life in writing: James Robertson, The Guardian, 14 August 2010 
- Christina Blackie, Geographical Etymology: A Dictionary of Place-names Giving Their Derivations (1887), John Murray, 1887, at page vi 
- The Scottish Government (Education): FAQ
- SCIS Pupil Numbers
- Scott, Kirsty (22 September 2009). "Parents launch campaign to promote local schools in Edinburgh". The Guardian.
- Johnson, Simon (27 May 2016). "Poor Scots 'squeezed out of university by SNP cap on places'". The Telegraph. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Ross, Shân (5 August 2015). "Scots professionals priced out of private schools". The Scotsman. Retrieved 22 January 2016.
- "The Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference". Hmc.org.uk. Retrieved 2011-08-12.
- "Fees — Fettes College".
- "Gordonstoun School: Fees". Gordonstoun.org.uk.
- "Merchiston Castle School: Fees". Merchiston.co.uk.
- "Glenalmond College: Fees". Glenalmondcollege.co.uk.
- "Loretto School: Fees". Loretto.com.
- "Strathallan School: Fees". Strathallan.co.uk.
- "Kilgraston School: Fees". Isbi.com.
- "Edinburgh Academy: Fees". Edinburgh Academy.
- "Fees ~ 2015-16" (PDF).
- St. George's School, Edinburgh: Fees
- "Robert Gordon's, Aberdeen: Fees". Rgc.aberdeen.sch.uk.
- "Morrison's Academy: Fees". Morrisonsacademy.org.
- St. Margaret's, Aberdeen: Fees
- "Fees". Kelvinside Academy.
- "Dollar Academy, Fees".
- The High School of Dundee: Fees
- "Fees". Glasgow Academy.
- "Lathallan School: Fees" (PDF). Lathallan.org.uk.
- Albyn School: Fees
- The High School of Glasgow: Fees Archived May 3, 2015, at the Wayback Machine.
- Belmont House School: Fees
- "George Heriot's: Fees". George-heriots.com.
- "Hutchesons' Grammar School: Fees". Hutchesons.org.
- "School Fees". Beaconhurst School.
- "George Watson's: Fees". Gwc.org.uk.
- "St Columba's, Kilmacolm Fees". St. Columba's.
- "St. Aloysius': Fees". Staloysius.org.
- "Clifton Hall School: Fees". Cliftonhall.org.uk.
- "Craigholme School: Fees". Craigholme.co.uk.
- "Fees". Lomond School.
- "Erskine Stewart's Melville Schools: Fees". Esms.edin.sch.uk.
- "Basil Peterson School: Fees". Basil Peterson School.
- "Fernhill School: Fees". fernhillschool.co.uk.
- "Hamilton College: Fees".
- Parent Power 2008 | Scottish independent secondaries[dead link]
- "A-level results 2015: Independent schools results table". The Telegraph. 22 August 2015.
- "GCSE results 2015: Independent schools table". The Telegraph. 29 August 2015.
- Edinburgh Academy: Exam Results
- Fettes Results 2014
- St Leonard's: Academic Results
- http://www.merchiston.co.uk/about/academic-2/academic-results/ Merchiston Academic Results 2014]
- Loretto School: Public Examinations Results
- St George's: Exam Results
- Glenalmond College: Academic Results