|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Elevation||915 ft (279 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||637482|
Land at Scotts was first deeded to Dan Wheeler in 1835. Samuel Scott settled here in 1847 and the community became known as Scotts Crossing, later shortened to Scotts. A post office named Scotts opened on February 19, 1872, with Servetus Bathrick as its first postmaster. The community was platted by Bathrick in 1874.
Scotts is situated on the boundary between Climax and Pavilion townships along the Grand Trunk Western Railroad line at , approximately 11 miles (18 km) southeast of Kalamazoo. Scotts has a post office with ZIP code 49088, which serves large portions of Climax, Pavilion, and northwest Wakeshma Township, and westward to Indian Lake and Long Lake in the city of Portage.
The center of Scotts has several businesses, including a cafe, ice cream shop, general store, and salon, as well as a township fire station. The community was home to its own K-12 school district called Scotts School until 1946, when it consolidated with the nearby school district in Climax to form Climax-Scotts Community Schools. Facilities are split between the two communities. Climax-Scotts Elementary School (K-5) is located in Scotts on the former site of Scotts High School. Climax-Scotts Jr./Sr. High School (7-12), administrative offices, bussing, and athletic facilities are located 7 miles NE in Climax. In 2006, the original school bell for Scotts School was recovered and restored, and is now on display outside the Scotts Community Center.
On May 2, 2015, a 4.2 magnitude earthquake struck West Michigan, with the epicenter less than one mile NW of Scotts. The quake was felt from Wisconsin to southern Ontario, and revealed a previously unknown fault line stretching from Kalamazoo to Coldwater.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Scotts, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- ZIP Code Lookup, United States Post Office
- "ZIP Code: 49088". United States ZIP Codes. UnitedStatesZipCodes.org. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- Rolfe, Bruce. "OLD SCOTTS SCHOOL BELL RETURNS HOME". Climax Crescent. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
- "Earthquake reveals fault line in Kalamazoo County". Detroit Free Press. Associated Press. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 3 August 2015.
|This Kalamazoo County, Michigan location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|