Scouting in the United States Virgin Islands
Scouting in the United States Virgin Islands has a long history, from the 1920s to the present day, serving thousands of youth in programs that suit the environment in which they live.
Boy Scouts of America
Boy Scouting in the USVI today
The US Virgin Islands Open/Atlantic Blue Marlin Tournament helps to fund the Marine Vocational Program (MVP) for the Boy Scouts.
|Virgin Islands Council #410|
The Boy Scouts of America ln the United States Virgin Islands was served in the early 20th century through National Council Direct Service, and then the troops later were added as the Virgin Island District in the Puerto Rico-Virgin Islands Council. The Virgin Island District was separated from the Puerto Rico Council in 1964-65. In 1965, the new Virgin Islands Council chartered its own Order of the Arrow Lodge, Arawak Lodge 562.
During the late 1960s and early 1970s, Troop 152, sponsored by Saint Patrick's Church, Frederiksted, Saint Croix, formed a steel band of grammar-school-age Scouts that was managed by Vivian Bennerson. The band toured internationally.
As of 2004, the Great House in Estate Diamond, Saint Croix that served as council headquarters was deserted; possibly the destruction of Hurricane Hugo caused its abandonment. As of March 1, 2013, the Virgin Island Council was merged into the National Capital Area Council, headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland, and the postal initials "VI" were added to the NCAC council shoulder patch.
Camp Howard M. Wall
|Camp Howard M. Wall|
|Location||Boy Scout Camp, Christiansted
Saint Croix, 00820 USVI
|Camp size||19-acre (0.077 km2)|
Named for Howard M. Wall, who added the estates Fareham, Petronella, and Longford to the Castle Nugent Farms cattle ranch in 1951, the Camp Howard M. Wall at Milord Point Beach on Route 62 at Great Pond Bay, in Estate Fareham, USVI is on the southeast end of Saint Croix. The camp is "located at the west side of Great Pond Bay." The camp offers bunkhouses intended to accommodate eight people per room, a shower house with gender segregated facilities, and a dinning hall. Other facilities include a climbing tower, ropes course, central pavilion, and rifle range.
In addition to "summer" camps, Camp Wall is actually open for summer camp type programs year round, other Scouting events take place there.
The camp has also hosted events not connected to Scouting. Since 2016 Catch The Vision International has sponsored an annual mission trip where participants stay at the camp. On June 21, 2012 at the camp the Virgin Islands National Guard hosted Shadow Warriors Fun Day, which included meeting Kofi Kingston. On June 25-30, 2012 at the camp the US Virgin Islands National Guard Youth Program held the St. Croix Youth Leadership Camp.
Girl Scouts of the USA
- Scouting and Guiding in the British Virgin Islands
- Boy Scouts of America Puerto Rico Council
- Loveland, Jimmy. "USVI Open/Atlantic Blue Marlin Tournament". Retrieved 17 February 2017.
- National Capital Area Council Executive Committee. "US Virgin Islands & National Capital Area Councils Join Forces". Retrieved 17 February 2017.
Barrett, John. "Castle Nugent Farms Special Resource Study". National Park Service. Retrieved 17 February 2017.Location:Bowman, Russ. "A Lot Can Happen In Five Years". Retrieved 17 February 2017.
- Adams, Roy E. (September 21, 1993). "U.S. Virgin Islands St. Croix Great Pond and Great Pond Bay Area of Particular Concern (APC) and Area of Preservation and Restoration (APR) a Comprehensive Analytic Study" (PDF). Virgin Islands Department of Planning and Natural Resources. Coastal Zone Management Program. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- French, Jerry (2017). "2017 St. Croix Guide" (PDF). Catch The Vision International. Retrieved 17 February 2017.
- "June 21" (PDF). Inside (5). Virgin Islands National Guard. June 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- Matthew, Marvin L (2012). "Annual Report" (PDF). US Virgin Islands National Guard Youth Program. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- Trotter, Andrew (May 25, 2016). "St. Croix: What A Place". Retrieved 17 February 2017.