Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
|Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Christopher B. Landon|
|Music by||Matthew Margeson|
|Edited by||Jim Page|
Broken Road Productions
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Box office||$16.1 million|
Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse is a 2015 American zombie horror comedy film directed by Christopher B. Landon and written by Landon, Carrie Evans, Emi Mochizuki and Lona Williams. The film stars Tye Sheridan, Logan Miller, Joey Morgan, Sarah Dumont and David Koechner. The film was released on October 30, 2015 by Paramount Pictures.
A janitor is seen cleaning in a laboratory and interrupting a scientist as he asks to clean the floors of the area he is working in. The scientist agrees and retreats to the hallway to a vending machine. The janitor accidentally knocks off a life monitor attatched to a man, in his attempt to revive the man he gives chest compresses but his hands rip through the flesh as the man awakens and attacks the janitor. Moments later the janitor attacks the scientist in the hallway.
Three high school sophomores, Ben (Sheridan), Carter (Miller), and Augie (Morgan), are trying to recruit new members for their Scout group, led by their Scout Leader Rogers (Koechner). While Augie has always been happy about being a Scout, Ben and Carter have second thoughts. Carter tries convincing Ben to quit but he can't as Augie is about to get his Condor Patch. Their conversation of quitting is cut short when Ben accidentally hits a deer. They manage to get help from Carter's sister, Kendall, and her friends. Ben, who's had a crush on Kendall, gets some advice from her and they all see that the dead deer has vanished. Before they leave, the two are invited to the "Secret Seniors Party" and Carter is given the address. When they go to get alcohol for the party, they meet Denise, a cocktail waitress that works at a strip club. She and Ben hit it off and she agrees to buy the alcohol for them. The two then meet up with Augie in the woods so they can set up their campsite. That night, still concerned about the disappearance of Scout Leader Rogers, the trio talk about how great their friendship has been before heading to sleep. Before the night is out, Carter wakes Ben so they can attend the party. Augie catches up, however, and is disappointed by their choice. The two drive into town to find that the bouncer for the strip club is no longer there and they sneak in. The two are immediately attacked by a zombie bouncer and stripper before being saved by a shotgun wielding Denise. Augie goes to Scout Leader Rogers' house to find him, only to be attacked by Scout Leader Rogers as a zombie. Augie manages to deter him, and flee the scene.
Ben, Carter, and Denise go to the police station to discover that the town has been evacuated, before they are chased by a zombie horde into a holding cell. They wait for hours when the zombies hear music from outside and leave. Augie, seeing Ben's car, runs in and unlocks the cell, freeing them. They all escape and make their way down the freeway. After walking for a bit, the four are picked up by Corporal Reeves. They drive to the party to see if anyone is evacuated, only to find that the address that was sent to Carter was fake. The group starts to argue, but Reeves was bitten prior to meeting them and has now turned into a zombie. Denise kills him and they try to get a signal on his radio. They hear information about bombing the town and start panicking. Carter then remembers his sister's diary has the party information in it. The four take the vehicle and drive to Carter's house. Once there, they manage to get the diary. But, more zombies arrive, and proceed to chase after the trio. They manage to escape using a trampoline to get to the now zombified neighbor, Ms. Fielder's house. From there, they take her car and head off down the road. The four find a dirt bike down the road and Denise takes it so she can get the military. Now left by themselves, Ben, Carter, and Augie weapon up at a hardware store and head to the party.
The zombies find the party, and proceed to attack the partygoers, until the trio turns up, armed with weapons and they proceed to kill the zombies. Once they run out of ammo, they lock themselves in the building and the zombies follow them upstairs. Ben and Carter barricade the door when Augie reveals that he's built a bomb that was hidden in Ben's backpack. He manages to light the fuse when the zombies burst in and the three escape through a garbage chute just as it explodes, killing all the zombies. Denise and the military arrive at the scene, setting up medical tents and helping the survivors while the Scouts reconcile their friendship and Ben and Kendall kiss.
- Tye Sheridan as Ben Goudy
- Logan Miller as Carter Grant
- Joey Morgan as Augie Foster
- Sarah Dumont as Denise Russo
- David Koechner as Scout Leader Rogers
- Halston Sage as Kendall Grant
- Cloris Leachman as Ms. Fielder
- Niki Koss as Chloe
- Hiram A. Murray as Corporal Reeves
- Lukas Gage as Travis
- Drew Droege as Drunk Man
- Patrick Schwarzenegger as Jeff
- Blake Anderson as Ron the Janitor
- Elle Evans as Amber
- Missy Martinez as Police Zombie
- Dillon Francis as DJ Zombie
- Cameron Elmore as Nerdy Kid
Prior to this film Christopher Landon worked on three movies in the Paranormal Activity series and enjoyed the chance to do something more lighthearted. He noted the comparisons in the script to various 80s movies stating "When I read the first script, I was like, 'Wow, I can actually make a gory R-rated version of The Goonies and Gremlins or even Monster Squad' " At the same time Landon noted that he wanted the film to not be a complete throwback and wanted to modernize the genre some, a task he compared to a similar issue with Disturbia in trying to mordernize a Hitchcockian thriller.
In July 2015, Paramount announced that it had struck a deal with AMC Entertainment and Cineplex Entertainment to make Scouts Guide and Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension available digitally, 17 days after they dropped below 300 theaters, as part of a larger experiment, and asked other theaters to join in. In return, Paramount would share an undisclosed portion of proceeds of the VOD revenues. Per industry sources, Paramount gave participating exhibitors an estimated 2-4% share of the studio's digital revenue made between the time the film dropped below 300 theaters and 90 days after its opening date. Participants in Paramount's formula include AMC, Canada's Cineplex, National Amusements, and Alamo Drafthouse. But many circuits, including Regal Cinema, Cinemark, and Carmike, rejected Paramount's offer to release in VOD. This meant that both films would only go out in roughly 1,350 North American theaters when opening on October 23 and 30—compared to 2,883 theaters for Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones and well north of 3,000 theaters for each of the previous three PA installments. The impetus for Paramount's experimentation with this approach, with these two-younger demographic genre movies—which many have deemed box office failures—is the theatrical failure of MGM's Hot Tub Time Machine 2. Rob Moore, vice chairman of Paramount Pictures, said: "There is no question that we are going to do less theatrically, but I believe we will make it up digitally. This is about the long-term health of the business, so there is not this long period of time when a consumer can't watch a movie."
Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse grossed $3.7 million in North America and $12.4 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $16.1 million, against a budget of $15 million.
The film opened on October 30, 2015, alongside Burnt and Our Brand Is Crisis. The film was initially projected to gross $2–4 million from 1,509 theaters in its opening weekend but ended up grossing $1.8 million, finishing 12th at the box office.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 44% based on 92 reviews, and an average rating of 4.8/10. The site's consensus reads, "Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse fails to live up to its intriguingly wacky title, instead delivering yet another zombie comedy-thriller with a tired T&A twist." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 32 out of 100, based on 17 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "B–", on an A+ to F scale.
Katie Rife from The A.V. Club gave the film a C− grade, commenting: "If Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse is the future, maybe the world should end." Tim Janson from the SciFi Movie Page rated the film 41% out of 100%, saying: "This zombie comedy is short on laughs."
|COLA||Location Team of the Year - Studio Feature Film||Stephenson Crossley (location manager)
Will Ruvalcaba (key assistant location manager)
Jeanie Farnam (assistant location manager)
Christopher Kusiak (assistant location manager)
Sofia Ochoa (assistant location manager)
- Black Widow - Performed by Iggy Azalea featuring Rita Ora
- Air Orchestral Suite No. 3 In D Minor - Written by Johann Sebastian Bach
- Get Up Get Down - Written by Peter Boyes & Oliver Silk
- Get It Poppin' - Performed by Kil the Giant
- Electric Love - Performed by Garrett Borns
- 9 to 5 - Written & performed by Dolly Parton
- Dee Oh U Gee Eye E - Written by Andre Lamar Bell, Lashawn Payne & Pat Kelly
- Young at Heart - Performed by Tim Myers featuring Rondo Brothers
- Get Low - Performed by Dillon Francis & DJ Snake
- All That - Performed by Dillon Francis featuring Twista & The Rej3ctz
- Scars - Performed by Basement Jaxx
- Crank That (Soulja Boy) - Performed by Soulja Boy
- ...Baby One More Time - Written by Max Martin
- Set Me Free - Performed by Dillon Francis & Martin Garrix
- Burial - Performed by Yogi featuring Pusha T
- When We Were Young - Performed by Dillon Francis & Sultan & Shepard featuring The Chain Gang of 1974
- Rock You Like a Hurricane - Performed by Scorpions
- Haunt You - Performed by The Pack A.D.
- "SCOUTS GUIDE TO THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE (15)". British Board of Film Classification. August 24, 2015. Retrieved August 24, 2015.
- McNary, Dave (June 15, 2016). "California Was World's Top Film Production Center in 2015, U.K. Generated Most Spending". Variety. Retrieved June 16, 2016.
- FilmL.A. (June 15, 2016). "2015 Feature Film Study" (PDF). Retrieved June 16, 2016.
- "Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (2015)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved December 15, 2015.
- Wixson, Heather. "Interview: Co-Writer/Director Christopher Landon Talks SCOUTS GUIDE TO THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE". Dailydead. Retrieved 20 July 2017.
- "Paramount Pushes 'Friday The 13th' Back 8 Months, Gives Slot To 'Scouts Vs. Zombies'". deadline.com. May 30, 2014. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- "'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' and 'Scouts Vs. Zombies' new release dates - Deadline". Deadline Hollywood. October 14, 2014. Retrieved October 15, 2014.
- "Scouts vs. Zombies Starts Filming in Los Angeles". comingsoon.net. May 12, 2014. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- Walkuski, Eric (May 12, 2014). "Christopher Landon's Scouts vs. Zombies begins production in Los Angeles". joblo.com. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- Pamela McClintock (October 15, 2015). "'Paranormal Activity: Ghost Dimension' Shunned by Many Theater Circuits Due to Early VOD Plan". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 16, 2015.
- Anthony D'Alessandro (October 15, 2015). "As Exhibs Snub 'Paranormal Activity 6' & 'Scouts' Guide', Is Paramount's Early VOD Experiment Bad Business?". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 16, 2015.
- "Bradley Cooper, 'The Martian' To Scare Away Sandra Bullock & 'Scouts' At Halloween B.O. – Preview". Deadline Hollywood.
- "Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved September 18, 2016.
- "Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved November 4, 2015.
- "Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (2015)". The A.V. Club. Retrieved October 30, 2015.
- "Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse". SciFi Movie Page. Retrieved January 21, 2016.
- "Don't miss #ScoutsVsZombies on Digital HD December 8". Facebook.com. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- "'Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse' Stars Want To Fight Trump, Gremlins and Bloods in Sequels". Cinemovie.tv. Retrieved October 28, 2015.