This article does not cite any sources. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|No. of installations||16+|
Design and operation
The original Screamin' Swing consists of a 62-foot-tall (19 m) A-frame, supporting two arms. Each arm supports two rows of seating, back to back. The first Screamin' Swings developed had four seats per arm with two arms. The lowest variant is the four-seat/one-arm design, and the capacities increase to 8 seat, 16 seat, 32 seat, and 40 seat designs, all utilizing two arms. For two-arm models, the swings can operate individually or simultaneously (although in opposite directions) and are propelled by compressed air, provided by Ingersoll Rand or Sullair compressors. These compressors disperse air into tanks located within the arms, the movement triggering actuators and cables to produce the motion. Some parks operate Screamin' Swing as an upcharge attraction.
The tallest Screamin' Swing in the world is Skyhawk at Cedar Point. It stands 103 feet (31 m) tall, swings to a height of 125 feet (38 m), has a maximum arc of 120°, and can achieve a maximum speed of 65 miles per hour (105 km/h).
The first larger Screamin' Swing developed was Rush, located at Thorpe Park (UK). The ride stands at 62 feet (19 m) tall with a dynamic height of 70 feet (21 m). It opened in May 2005 as 'The Worlds Biggest Full Throttle Speed Swing'.
A recently installed Screamin' Swing located at the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, swings riders out over a steep canyon, 1,300 feet (400 m) above the Colorado River. The swing structure is 50 feet (15 m) tall and has a maximum arc of 122°. It opened in May 2010, and is billed 'The Giant Canyon Swing'.
- Russia - At least one: Flying Swing at Divo Ostrov.
- United Kingdom - Rush at Thorpe Park.
- United States of America - At least twelve: Xtreme Swing at Valleyfair, Swing Shot at Kennywood, Skyhawk at Cedar Point, Thunder N' Lightning at Lake Compounce, Giant Barn Swing at Silver Dollar City, Giant Canyon Swing at Glenwood Caverns, Screamin' Swing at Morey's Piers, and Apollo's Swing at Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park, Screamin' Swing at Family Fun Center in Tukwila, WA, Hot Seat at Fun Spot USA Kissimmee, FL, Screamin' Swing at Dixieland Fun Park in Fayetteville, GA, Screamin' Swing at Morey's Piers in Wildwood, NJ, and Barnstormer at Dollywood in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee.
- Sweden - One: "Uppsvinget" at Liseberg.
- Japan - Oozora Tengoku (The Firmament Heaven) at Lake Sagami Pleasure Forest