This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Shot from the 1958 film The Screaming Skull
A screaming skull is a paranormal object, a human skull which per legend speaks, screams, or otherwise haunts its environs. The legend is most found in England and other English-speaking regions.
The Bettiscombe screaming skull of Dorset, England, is attested at least as early as 1897 in the book The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain. That book details an alleged visit to Bettiscombe in 1883 by curiosity-seekers to investigate a skull which, according to legend, was of an African slave once owned by the owner of the house. The slave had supposedly died determined to be buried in his homeland, and any attempt to bury his skull elsewhere would cause the skull to scream aloud.
- Bettiscombe Manor, Bettiscombe, Dorset
- Dickie – Tunstead Farm, Tunstead Milton, Derbyshire
- Skull of St Ambrose Barlow – Wardley Hall, Greater Manchester
- Skull of Anne Griffith – Burton Agnes Hall, Yorkshire
- Skull of Thephilus Brome? – Higher Chilton Farm, Chilton Cantelo
- Two skulls – Warbleton Priory ruin, Rushlake Green, Heathfield, East Sussex
- The Screaming Skull (1911) – F. Marion Crawford
- The Screaming Skull (1958) – American horror film
- The Great Ghost Rescue (1975) – novel by Eva Ibbotson
- John Henry Ingram (1897). The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain. Gibbings & Company, Limited. p. 342.
- "Legend of the Screaming Skull – Bettiscombe Manor". Retrieved 19 May 2011.
- Ingram, John Henry (1897). "Bettiscombe House". The Haunted Homes and Family Traditions of Great Britain. pp. 341–344.
- Parkinson, Daniel. "Screaming Skulls – An Introduction". Mysterious Britain & Ireland. Retrieved 19 May 2011.
- Frith, J. B. (John Benjamin) (1905). "Dick O' Tunstead". Highways and Byways in Derbyshire. Macmillan and Co., limited. p. 182.
- "Legend of the Screaming Skull". Real British Ghosts. Retrieved 29 March 2013.